Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me spec a Business Phone System

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I would suggest a HiPath 3000 which is the new version of the one you have/had.
    Also you should consider changing all of your basic rate ISDN circuits to one Partial Primary Rate circuit to save costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

The installers can buy the Panasonic cheaper and get a better mark up on it.
    I suppose it is similar to buying a Beko Washing Machine or a Miele one.
    When you say 'much better' I would put the features side by side and see which one wins out.
    The Panasonics are more key systems whereas the Siemens kit can be for any telephony purpose including key systems.
    They also have a high reliability factor which is why you will see them used in State/Government setups.

Have you considered going down the VoIP route, setting up Asterisk and so on?

OK on the ISDN, I read that you had 8 Circuits which would have meant 16 Channels which you would get on a Partial Primary Rate circuit so those 4 ISDN's should be OK on either system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You might consider getting an IP based pbx that would run phones on the LAN network, so it would illiminate the need for extra wires for phones.

You can get ISDN cards and plug them in also, which may be ideal. It would also facilitate expansion very easily.

Siemens are good but as Xantia pointed out, do compare side by side.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The POT phones in those areas make sense as they are easily replaceable and you can parallel them with bells.

The Siemens does the DECT integrated into the system as well as the Analogues by default.
    It depends on the configuration of your cards as to how many analogues you would have.

The digital (single pair also) would be for your offices or your could use IP (4 pair with a POE switch)
    If you wanted you could setup a larger siemens system (4000) with separate units in each building joined by the fibre but they all appear as one unit.

Also the operator can now a days have a busy lamp field on their screen to see the status of the users.

You can voice call to the digital phones, DECT and desk phones ringing in parallel as one number incoming and outgoing, first to answer gets the call.

I am not overly familiar with the latest Panasonics but as said earlier they are/were key systems but you seem to have a requirement for a hybrid.

Yes I have installed large DECT installations in the past and still look after them.
    A site survey for that is a must beforehand with knowledge of where any new large especially metal objects will be placed also a rough idea of how many users will be on each base station at peak times would assist.
    Latest on the DECT is people are using WiFi phones now as 'dect' on their wireless lan's but the coverage is not as good and in my view the quality of the call is poorer.

I think that These are one of the latest DECT phones from Siemens but I am not sure as they change so much.

I do not know or work for or have any contact with This Guy but I have seen him assisting users on Forums (Fora?) and he seems fairly knowledgable.

Also the fact that he seems to be a stockist/installer of both Panasonic and Siemens he might be a better guide?

• Advertisement

Oh and if you need more info on the Siemens kit send me a PM and I can put you in contact with 'the main man' for the 3000 and sales advice if needed.
    Good Luck in your choice !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Condi wrote: »

An IP phone system would be ideal if you had a LAN network in place, but since its hit and miss I would look at a hybrid system as mentioned above. It may work out cheaper when you consider costs of handsets and cabling, and a hybrid phone system would be more feasible.

Corroded phones is an interesting one. I've heard of phones (cordless ones) inevitably down the toilet, one fell out a window (I'm not joking. Thank god nobody was down there), down buckets of water but not corroded. I guess these things happen.

Regarding ISDN cards, yes you would connect your ISDN lines into these. Some systems do come with ISDN lines included, some you build yourself (E.g. Asterisk/ Freepbx)

I think Xantia has answered all your questions.

Advertisement