Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.D. apple variety?

• 07-10-2013 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I'd be grateful if someone would please identify the variety of this apple.

The flavour is very unique to me - lovely. It's slightly tart. The scent is almost perfume-like. The texture is delicately crisp. The fleshy part of the apple gets partially tinted pink. (Doing the best I can with the descriptions.)
    It's at the end of its run for the year. Every year I mean to try to find out what kind it is and then I forget to follow through. I tried the "attribute search page" at http://www.orangepippin.com, but the closest ones that came up were introduced (to UK anyway) 1980 and after. This tree would have been planted in the 1970's. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

irish seed savers do an apple identification service - but you have to pay for it...

but! they will create new trees from your apple tree too. you take cuttings and send them to them, and they will graft them on to new rootstock for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I was going to suggest "Pink Lady", but the 1970s is early for its introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Red Devil??

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Sounds like my 'Discovery', don't know how old that variety is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks all. I'll look at all those varieties. I after looking at some sites, I was leaning toward Beauty of Bath. Most of those google images look like ours too. After I find out for sure and if I can't find it commercially, I'll look into the details about grafting via Irish Seed Savers that magicbastarder mentioned. Thanks again, all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Looks very like Michaelmas Red, so named because it is best on 29th September. Doesn't keep more than a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

send Andy an email with the pictures and description, he may be able to help with the id and grafting:

http://www.fruitandnut.ie/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks, Donalde and Oldtree. Looks like I'll need Andy's help. I'll take a pic of the tree too.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. When (if?) I get it solved, I'll update the thread. cheers.

Advertisement