Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big problem...please help!

Options
  • 07-10-2013 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I do hope someone can help me with this, I'm a guy with MS and this thing isn't helping one bit.

Yesterday evening both my desktop and my laptop started showing flashing with avast the following error:

Threat has been detected!

process: openvtray.exe (this part can be different things)
    http://wpad.net/wpad.dat

This thing pops up constantly if I'm browsing the web. My laptop was in its bag all weekend....there were no issues with it beforehand. Also, I never shared usb drives etc with it at all.

I ran malwarebytes & there was nothing out of the ordinary in the results. Does anyone have a clue what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Try rebooting in safe mode (pressing F8 normally gives you the option on startup) and running malwarebytes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I tried the safe mode option last night to no avail.

Just a quick update on this....I just started up my wife's laptop....same warning popped up on that?

Apart from the same network, avast & windows 7...this is all they have in common. I'm so feckin stressed!

:mad:

Anybody any idea what I should do with this?

I'm lost as to what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

barrackali wrote: »
    Anybody any idea what I should do with this?

I'm lost as to what to do.

Might be some rouge process that has infected your network. Try searching information about wpad and it should have some information about how to scan and clean your network and pcs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

• Advertisement

Looks like its a network problem, i'm out with one of the laptops on another wifi network with no problems.

How do I get UPC to do a hard reset of my horizon box? I've already tried the factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I don't think you need to do that. Try Install MS security essentials from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download if that doesn't get rid of it try the suggestions in tui0hcg's post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
    online scan and fix.
    a scan might take 50 minutes approx.
    Maybe you should have a look on the virus malware removal forum at , boards .ie tech .

Advertisement