Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant's with good vegetarian options?

Options
  • 07-10-2013 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a nice restaurant in Dublin city centre that has a decent vegetarian menu. Taking a girl out on a second date and she's the veggie so want to put a bit of thought into it..

Thanks,
    Jaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The Cedar Tree on Andrews St. Practically half the menu is veggie and the food is excellent. Avoid the Lebanese wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If the Talbot 101 on Talbot St is still on the go, it was a very well-renowned veggie restaurant a while back (although not exclusively veggie, they had meat dishes as well).

Was very very good indeed last time I was there (not today or yesterday though!)

http://www.101talbot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Darwins http://www.darwins.ie/ have a very good veggie menu

Pearl Brasserie if you want to go a little more upscale http://www.pearl-brasserie.com/accueil.htm

l'ecrivain also do pretty good veggie menu http://www.lecrivain.com/

One of the nicest meals I've had recently was in the Vintage Kitchen, not very many options on the menu but I had the nicest goats cheese and beetroot salad ever there last week (they also had figs in the salad) and the vibe and food was fantastic. You'd need to book in advance if you want a friday/saturday though - it's also BYO so you could bring a really nice bottle or two of your favourite wine

http://www.thevintagekitchen.ie/

I'm a veggie by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

My Fiance is a veggie so we are always looking out for places to go with nice Veggie options. The Hairy Lemon doesn't have a lot of options but the ones they have are very nice. On the north side same again with Black Sheep not a massive list to choose from but the stuff they do have is always amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/theblacksheepdublin (they are part of a group of similar places in Dublin and Galway winefoodbeer.com but it seems to be down at the moment.
    http://www.thehairylemon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, Cornucopia on Wicklow St. is a fully vegetarian restaurant, found some of their main dishes quite bland myself. In saying that, you get 2 side dishes with a main and they are generally quite tasty.

Govinda's, Aungier St. and Middle Abbey St. are vegetarian restaurants too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, Cornucopia on Wexford St. is a fully vegetarian restaurant, found some of their main dishes quite bland myself. In saying that, you get 2 side dishes with a main and they are generally quite tasty.

Don't bring someone to Cornucopia for a date. It's not the right atmosphere (and plus I think the food is wholly over-rated in there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Italian is always a safe bet (well, assuming she's not coeliac!) - at the moment I'm loving San Lorenzo, and have heard good things about Terre Madre and Il Vicoletto

I second The Vintage Kitchen - one of the nicest and best value meals I've had in a long time! Also try Coppinger Row, and any of the tapas places - Port House/Pinxtos or Las tapas de lola

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jimmii wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/theblacksheepdublin (they are part of a group of similar places in Dublin and Galway winefoodbeer.com but it seems to be down at the moment.
    They've moved to a new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The OH was very impressed with Darwin's, been there twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm a veggie and my favourite non vegetarian restaurants are:

Cedar Tree
    Dada
    The Farm
    Saba
    Yamamori
    Diwali

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ghost_of_ED209

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really helpful. I've eatin in Darwins before and loved it. Didn't realise they did a vegetarian menu too so will go with that.

Although I'll have to give The Vintage Kitchen a look some day too.. Seems to be getting great reviews from all the sites I checked..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, Cornucopia on Wexford St. is a fully vegetarian restaurant, found some of their main dishes quite bland myself. In saying that, you get 2 side dishes with a main and they are generally quite tasty.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Don't bring someone to Cornucopia for a date. It's not the right atmosphere (and plus I think the food is wholly over-rated in there).

I'm not vegetarian but I do enjoy going to Cornucopia every so often but as AnonBoy said it's not the place for a second date. It's more cafe than romantic restaurant.

Also, it's on Wicklow Street not Wexford Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

BeerNut wrote: »
    They've moved to a new site.

Cheers thought it was weird the site was down! Guess they just haven't got round to updating it on facebook yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

The farm do really nice veggie stuff, so nice that all my non veggie friends chose the veggie options over the meat options when we went there the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yamamori or Diwali for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Chameleon in Temple Bar has a good veggie selection, including a vegetarian rijstafel which is a set selection, tapas style, of Indonesian dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Over rated for sure and IMO over priced too. I remember paying €14 for a semi tepid aubergine stew there at lunch time and there was barely enough space to eat it as the tables were on top of each other. I know it has its loyal fanbase but for me their loyalty is misguided as there are better veggie options around town.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Over rated for sure and IMO over priced too. I remember paying €14 for a semi tepid aubergine stew there at lunch time and there was barely enough space to eat it as the tables were on top of each other. I know it has its loyal fanbase but for me their loyalty is misguided as there are better veggie options around town.

I agree. And regardless of the food the atmosphere in there is not right for a date, it's a slap-dash lunch with mates type of place, not a romantic location where your every word is going to be overheard by the people you're jockeying for elbow space with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I agree. And regardless of the food the atmosphere in there is not right for a date, it's a slap-dash lunch with mates type of place, not a romantic location where your every word is going to be overheard by the people you're jockeying for elbow space with.
    In fairness, they have this nice Georgian room upstairs which tends to be empty (perhaps not during lunch hour). I agree about the food though - it's watery and bland, and not at all cheap! I don't get the love.

What's left of 100% vegetarian places in Dublin though? None of them is a restaurant proper if I'm not mistaken?

Cornucopia
    Govinda's x2 (I think Baggot St one has closed)
    Delhi O'Deli
    Blazing Salads (are they veggie?)
    Umi Falafel, just opened

There used to be a decent enough one on George's St. called Juice but it's gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm meeting a friend for dinner next week and she's a vegetarian and loves The Chilli Club just off Grafton Street-Annes Lane I think.

Advertisement