Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Rules - Renting a Room

Options
  • 07-10-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

My partner and I are thinking of renting out the spare room in our house, as my working days have gone from 5 to 3.

Any tips on ground rules etc as we have never had anyone else live with us.

Its just a room they will be renting, no ensuite but the person will have the main bathroom as we have an ensuite and obviously use of kitchen and garden.

Is it fair to put up a cleaning roster, like clean room / bathroom weekly, keep kitchen clean etc, take out bins if needed etc
    Bills will be split.

Also re visitors, how do you handle this, obviously we dont mind the person having people over aslong as its not 24/7. We can see how it goes at the start but if they are coming in late at night or early morning we can deal with this if it happens, suppose its just have respect for who you are living with which will work both ways.

We have a simple life during the week, go to work, home, dinner, tv and bed, weekends are never wild no house parties or anything maybe odd Saturday night we might have a few drinks 1 or 2 friends over if not going out, should we say no house parties....

Any advice / tips much appreciated as it is our first time so unsure of rules or how to approach things

Thank you

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

I rent a room out in my place and have a house rules doc, if you'd like it PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ElizaG

That would be great, thank you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

ElizaG wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I are thinking of renting out the spare room in our house, as my working days have gone from 5 to 3.

Any tips on ground rules etc as we have never had anyone else live with us.

Its just a room they will be renting, no ensuite but the person will have the main bathroom as we have an ensuite and obviously use of kitchen and garden.

Is it fair to put up a cleaning roster, like clean room / bathroom weekly, keep kitchen clean etc, take out bins if needed etc
    Bills will be split.

Also re visitors, how do you handle this, obviously we dont mind the person having people over aslong as its not 24/7. We can see how it goes at the start but if they are coming in late at night or early morning we can deal with this if it happens, suppose its just have respect for who you are living with which will work both ways.

We have a simple life during the week, go to work, home, dinner, tv and bed, weekends are never wild no house parties or anything maybe odd Saturday night we might have a few drinks 1 or 2 friends over if not going out, should we say no house parties....

Any advice / tips much appreciated as it is our first time so unsure of rules or how to approach things

Thank you

E

It depends where you are living but you may be able to target someone who wants accommodation maybe for 4/5 nights only and goes home for the weekend. Very unlikely that they would want too much of a social life mid week.

Advertisement