Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs attack dogs-Hellfire Club

2»

Comments

I think owners like this should be prosecuted, unfortunately the police are just going to see this as a trivial matter and this guy will probably get away with it. You could go back at the same time and try get a photo of the guy and present that. But there again they might accept it but not do anything.

If its possible to somehow track down his name and location you could prosecute yourself. But that's easier said then done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Ashbx wrote: »
    That is my point throughout the entire thread, if the dog was attacked previously, she shouldnt enforce that fear by picking her up! She should body block her dog....lifting up should be the last resort!!

Im in no way giving out about what happened. In fact, it was a very friendly encounter between us but I am just baffled how some people dont let their dogs be dogs! They may think that Rover loves to have rich tea's while suggling up their favourite blanket in their owners bed (and im sure he does) but what Rover really wants is to sniff another dogs bum and to roll in poo! Dogs need to be dogs!!

I think you are assuming everyone else here knows FA about dogs. I am gonna give up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I think you are assuming everyone else here knows FA about dogs. I am gonna give up on this one.

Of course not, I am in no way an expert myself but I do have experience in this. My old dog was attacked as a puppy and for the rest of her life did not trust another dog....so I am just giving my opinion....if that's ok with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Ashbx wrote: »
    That is my point throughout the entire thread, if the dog was attacked previously, she shouldnt enforce that fear by picking her up! She should body block her dog....lifting up should be the last resort!!

Im in no way giving out about what happened. In fact, it was a very friendly encounter between us but I am just baffled how some people dont let their dogs be dogs! They may think that Rover loves to have rich tea's while suggling up their favourite blanket in their owners bed (and im sure he does) but what Rover really wants is to sniff another dogs bum and to roll in poo! Dogs need to be dogs!!

No, some dogs do, other dogs do not. Lots of other dogs have absolutely NO interest in being around or bothered by other dogs. My own dog is friendly and pretty sociable, but because he's a GSD, even trundling along minding his own business makes some dogs and their owners nervous. I am aware of this and I act accordingly.
    I'm not having a go at you, but if you don't know what the other person or their dog is like, it is best to err on the side of caution and let them go about their business in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Wow what a shocking thing to witness op and up at the top so far away from your car you must have been so shook up. I'm horrified at the other owners lack of response and apparent lack of control over his two dogs!! People can use the work 'attack' or 'aggressive' a bit too freely these days but in my opinion you experienced an aggressive dog who did attack and left injuries on your dog - this was not a snarky tussle or dogs posturing and getting a bit excited your dog sustained injuries! Hind sight is wonderful and a crystal ball could have predicted this but outside of that nothing could have predicted how quick this seemed to have escalated. The fact that other dog owners have had or seen similar reactions from these dogs indicates that this is not a once off and that this owner is aware his dogs are reactive. I'm just gob smacked at his lack of reaction to help you . Dogs are unpredictable and don't get me wrong my own dogs are not social saints and I take every precaution with them but sometimes things can happen and even if it was another dog who ran up to mine and ended up getting a snap or a reaction I would always check they were ok. My dogs react I know this so I have to take responsibility ... Have also had loads of experience of other off lead dogs running up and acting inappropriate leading to a negative reaction but in the case of an innocent social dog coming over and getting a bad reaction I do feel there is a big difference and I do check with the other owner. I just think how I would feel up in the mountain on my own and another dog attacking mine ... He weighs in at 46 kgs and I think in the heat of the moment I would prob try to lift him out of harms way!!! Hope your guy ok and maybe you could ask some of your friends or have a little get together with some social doggies ASAP to let him get back into the swing of normal dog meets dog interaction and build his confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... you could prosecute yourself. ...
    That would be an excellent idea as a first step and then prosecute the other careless dog owner.

I've posted before about these situations. There are no bad dogs, merely bad owners, and I think we need to move from licensing dogs to licensing their owners. A "driving test" for dog and other pet owners to demonstrate they have enough grey matter, cop on, knowledge and training to be responsible pet-owners / minders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 HondaiDTEC

I am sorry to hear about your incident OP, but like DBB said there, you should have your dogs on a lead for there protection.

You are just asking for trouble.

You just don't know what goes through dogs heads at times.They are still animals at the end of the day and can be incredibly vicious, powerful and unpredictable

I have a Alaskan Malamute who is very good with other dogs and off the lead, but I would never let him roam freely on a walk, go sniff or play with strange dogs, because anything can happen.

I got the fright of my life once when a big black male lab came charging towards my dog when we were on a walk.

My dog played away with the lab for a while, but I knew there was some tension between them, so I tried to get away and carry on with the walk, but the lab kept following and sniffing my dog, no owner in site.I couldn't get rid of him.

My dog then completely lost it with the lab ( a sniff too far ) and a huge fight broke out, I tried to stop the fight and get in between them, stupid move because I got bit in the finger and almost lost it.

After being bit I lost all control of the lead and my dog now off it almost killed the lab, was very sad too see, I had tears in my eyes.I was powerless to split them up, until one of them gave in.

Everytime I go for a walk now my heart pounds a little bit harder everytime I see a dog off the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't suppose these two were like lab crosses or something along them lines??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Don't suppose these two were like lab crosses or something along them lines??

Breeds or their crosses haven't even come into the conversation. The OP has admitted they could have done things better and vice versa with the other owner.

There actually is a LOT to learn by reading back on this thread, from dog ownership alone.

I don't see any reason to keep this thread going, so closing it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement