Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFOs (Unidentifiable Foodie Objects)

Options
  • 07-10-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

In light of Bogman educating us all on the joys of fresh turmeric, I thought it would be good if we post up any unidentified food items here. We're all keen and adventurous gourmands and a lot of us intrepid travellers too so it would be great if the Foodie Boardsie's could post up any weird and wonderful goodies they encounter here. Unfortunately I'm at work at the moment and have two very ordinary satsumas and a rather standard Golden Delicious on my desk, so I won't be adding to the thread for now! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I was very bemused when I first saw this (I'm just linking the image as it genuinely makes me feel nauseas). Turns out it's tripe.

I'm always seeing it when I walk through the English Market and it's 100% guaranteed to kill my appetite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    Turns out it's tripe.

I'm always seeing it when I walk through the English Market and it's 100% guaranteed to kill my appetite.

You used see it a lot in butchers' windows years ago, I think it's the lining of a sheep's stomach. It looks disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I just nearly brought up my lunch there Faith! I remember a friend brought some tripe back in a tin from Spain and dared me to try it without telling me what it was. Callos Madrilenos is a popular dish there (recipe here http://spanishfood.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/Madrid-Style-Tripe-Recipe-Callos-Madrilenos.htm containing delicious things like calf feet :eek:)and I can safely say the memory has haunted me since - it looks like it tastes and the texture of it is just vile.

NEVER AGAIN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The Electric in Cork used to do a really yummy tripe salad I think? It's the best way for newbies to tripe to try it. It's very like calamari. I just checked and they have replaced it with a boring old chicken salad. Boo.

My dad loves it, but I'm not a fan of the slow cooked in milk method. Can't beat breadcrumbing and deep-frying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've had really nice tripe with white beans and Ham in a creamy sauce in a Portuguese restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roman tripe with tomato and beans is delicious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is getting a bit off-track already, so I've started a chat thread here. Maybe we can move the discussion about tripe over there to kick off the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not a food object, but a kitchen implement - any guesses...?

275010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Not a food object, but a kitchen implement - any guesses...?
    Is it a smoker?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Looks like something designed to have a chicken mounted on it for some variety of smoking or other beer-type steaming...

• Advertisement

Ooooh, interesting. A poacher maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen similar things for barbecuing chickens where you shove the wire frame thing up it's, errrm, rear end. Is that it?

Aye, it is a vertical chicken roasting stand. The idea being that the juices collect in the bottom for easily making gravy.

It is a waste of time really, because you end up with easy gravy & a dry bird. :(

It is a waste of time really, because you end up with easy gravy & a dry bird. :(

Ah... I've got one of these Many moons ago from Roches Store but without the bit at the bottom, so I'd put the whole vertical chicken into a deep baking tray to collect the juice.
    Vertical-Chicken-Roaster.jpg

I've stopped using it years ago for the dry reason, plus I prefer to either spatchcock my bird, or if left whole, I'd stuff it with herbs.

Faith wrote: »
    Turns out it's tripe.

Tripe satay is quite delicious :)

Not for the faint hearted, but I love the dish below. Any guesses?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRijg01IUdjXcJysHJeOeXt6vT3QK8-jXa-qjZlErJwLnf1XFVPcg

Pigs tails?

Trotters?

Nope and nope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mrs Fox wrote: »

Not for the faint hearted, but I love the dish below. Any guesses?

I have a horrible feeling it's sweetbreads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a horrible feeling it's sweetbreads.....
    I've an even more horrible feeling that it's made from some portion of a male animal's anatomy, 'nuff said :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

are they...little scaly toes? The kind chickens walk around on?

Indeed they are

Well it is Halloween soon so I might as well scare you folks...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM3ueELl_nkZK21yb9ZYZrinNg2W7tggsIB8K-0zeYWC6VoB0H

*faints

If you don't mind me asking, Mrs Fox, are you Chinese in origin?
    You seem to have a good knowledge of dim sum and like chicken feet.

You know, I've wondered the same about you since you've posted up Lo Mai Gai a couple of times before. Either you or Mrs Beer. And Not a lot of Irish find the concept of glutinous rice appealing.
    I'm not of Chinese origin. But I grew up in Malaysia, so plenty of cross-cultural cuisine -- Chinese, Malay, Indian, Nyonya, Portuguese, Arabian, to name a few.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    You know, I've wondered the same about you since you've posted up Lo Mai Gai a couple of times before. Either you or Mrs Beer. And Not a lot of Irish find the concept of glutinous rice appealing.
    I'm not of Chinese origin. But I grew up in Malaysia, so plenty of cross-cultural cuisine -- Chinese, Malay, Indian, Nyonya, Portuguese, Arabian, to name a few.

Ah, Mrs Beer's mother is from Singapore.

What are these?

Untitled.jpg

and what would this be?

caviar_lines.jpg

Witchetty grubs the first one? Am guessing caviar for the second?

• Advertisement

I'm hoping the first one is vegetable and not animal?

The second looks like fish roe.

Advertisement