Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFOs (Unidentifiable Foodie Objects)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Not grubs and not caviar/roe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Is the second one 'citrus caviar' from limes? I've never seen it but heard someone describing it, sounds cool!

Edit: I'm squeamishly guessing some sort of pasta for the maggoty looking one!

Citrus caviar, also known as the finger lime.

The first picture isn't animal in origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is the vaguely maggoty looking food spaetzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    What are these?

Untitled.jpg

Looks like oca to me. Have them in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are they a type of gnocci

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ...And Not a lot of Irish find the concept of glutinous rice appealing.
    Strange you say that. My dad mentioned to me on skype that he likes going to a thai place nearby and I told him that I cook thai food a bit, even going to the hassle of making glutinous/stick rice at home. And he never heard of sticky rice. I was a bit confused as its on almost every thai menu i've seen over here. Your post above explains it a bit.

Is the vaguely maggoty looking food spaetzle?
    Looks like oca to me. Have them in the garden.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Are they a type of gnocci

Not pasta or gnocchi. Oca was close. These are a vegetable called crones or Chinese artichokes. Very easy it cultivate, they grow as tubers and spread like mint. Crispy and juicy, they can be cooked or eaten raw in salads.

I thought of crones but thought they were redder than that.

Edit: now I look, it seems that oca can be all sorts of colours but ours are all pale yellow.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSViWVFvphsqxd-vNy4DXyJdnKa2mRP-MR3YDPWzOUcgT-FkeMz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Ah, Mrs Beer's mother is from Singapore.

She must make a killer chilli crabs :) Mmmmmmmm crabs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Not pasta or gnocchi. Oca was close. These are a vegetable called crones or Chinese artichokes. Very easy it cultivate, they grow as tubers and spread like mint. Crispy and juicy, they can be cooked or eaten raw in salads.

What do they taste like?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    She must make a killer chilli crabs :) Mmmmmmmm crabs....

Unfortunately, my mother-in-law is a terrible cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Louise77

Tryin to make tom kha gai soup, but struggling to find galangal. Went to Asian shop who offered me this- is this it?! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That looks more like a piece of ginger to me. Galangal, or at least the galangal I get in my local Asian shop, is thinner, and has a smoother skin, with a bit of a pink tinge to it.

EDIT: slice a bit off it and smell it. I assume you know what ginger smells like. Galangal has a slightly lemony smell to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Louise77

Did that and sliced off - doesn't taste of ginger - tastes more cocountty! Weird. Either way don't think its galangal! My hunt continues...
    Thanks for help anyways

Doesn't look like galangal to me.

single-red-galangal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Could it be taro?

RrQM4wCl.jpg

Eddoe

eddoe-coco-yam01.jpg

Crones - Mild nutty flavour with a texture or crunch like water chestnuts...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged - sorry Minder, your last post came up below the thread I merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Louise77 wrote: »
    Tryin to make tom kha gai soup, but struggling to find galangal. Went to Asian shop who offered me this- is this it?! Thanks

If you're going to use it would you mind taking a photo when you slice through it please? Have never heard of crones at all and am intrigued! Cheers

Advertisement