Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is London better than Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

I've lived and worked in Mexico City, New York, Singapore and Seoul so I'm not fazed by big cities. I've done the impersonal yet glam lifestyle already when I was a bit younger and more ambition haha. I don't really care about the size of the cities but more so the lifestyle - I'm just worried if I move to London, I might not have a comfortable house (not a fancy one but a house in a relatively green area) and the social life (not the going out every weekend but dining with friends and taking a walk along the canal) that I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

JaneeMack wrote: »
    I've lived and worked in Mexico City, New York, Singapore and Seoul so I'm not fazed by big cities. I've done the impersonal yet glam lifestyle already when I was a bit younger and more ambition haha. I don't really care about the size of the cities but more so the lifestyle - I'm just worried if I move to London, I might not have a comfortable house (not a fancy one but a house in a relatively green area) and the social life (not the going out every weekend but dining with friends and taking a walk along the canal) that I want.

One of the other boardsies will tell you more, but Darragh O'Brien talks about a unique ethnic group in London, not from any particular nationality or race, but people between the age of 25 and 35 who, for one reason or another head to London because in their particular profession, at their time in life, it's the place to be.

By the way, it ain't cheap, but Hampstead is very handy for Moorgate and very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If you're going renting a house you'd want to be pulling serious coin, no doubt about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

I lived in London for 50 years and now it is getting a bit too much for me, especially where I lived in chalk farm it is so crowded at weekends especially the market, lots of tourist and very cosmopolitan with lots of people standing in front of you taking photos. I have gotten grumpy in my old age. I have got Primrose Hill clsoe by and use it for walks and that keeps me sane.

Moorgate has got good transport connections with Liverpool Street literally minutes away with frequent trains to Stansted airport and takes less than an hour to the airport. Also London City airport is only 7 miles from Moorgate. There is also there is a large M&S next to Moorgate station and the Barbican Centre is close by as well. Lots to do in that areas of London. http://www.barbican.org.uk/

I am hoping to move back to Ireland for a while to see if I could settle there again after been away for so long. I expect everyone I knew and grew up with will no long be there anymore. I will have to get to know the place and people again. Nothing venture nothing gained……

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maura74 wrote: »
    Moorgate has got good transport connections with Liverpool Street literally minutes away with frequent trains to Stansted airport and takes less than an hour to the airport. Also London City airport is only 7 miles from Moorgate. There is also there is a large M&S next to Moorgate station and the Barbican Centre is close by as well. Lots to do in that areas of London.

And of course, as its the city, a TM Lewin on every corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dd972 wrote: »
    Aspects of Dublin I prefer are proximity to the sea and mountains, the general friendliness of the good folk you encounter and the generally better food you get in pubs.
    Eh, most pubs in Dublin don't even serve food after about 6pm?!?

One aspect of Dublin I definitely don't miss is the over-priced mediocrity that passes for "gourmet cuisine".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

djpbarry wrote: »
    Eh, most pubs in Dublin don't even serve food after about 6pm?!?

One aspect of Dublin I definitely don't miss is the over-priced mediocrity that passes for "gourmet cuisine".

The general level of food in Ireland is much better than England I think. There's been this whole "revolution" in the UK and in particular London which seems to be a move away from classical cooking techniques (French style) and towards brash techniques and foods (American style). It is hip and popular, fashionable and false. Definitely a move for the worse. Over salted fatty, sugar filled fast-food reinvented is not gourmet cuisine either London. Thanks, good try but no thanks.

Dublin's understated quality and Ireland's in general unassumingly surpass the clichéd pop food served up in London. Don't get me wrong though, at the very top end London wins, but otherwise give me Dublin any day.

enda1 wrote: »
    There's been this whole "revolution" in the UK and in particular London which seems to be a move away from classical cooking techniques (French style) and towards brash techniques and foods (American style). It is hip and popular, fashionable and false. Definitely a move for the worse. Over salted fatty, sugar filled fast-food reinvented is not gourmet cuisine either London. Thanks, good try but no thanks.
    Don't take my criticism of Dublin as a defence of London. The whole "gastropub" movement here, in particular, annoys the hell out me, whereby perfectly good pubs are turned into generic eateries, all serving the same boring ****e, with your choice of 1,657 lagers.

And I'm certainly not saying there isn't good food to be found in Dublin - it just tends to be rather more expensive. But, my criticism was aimed specifically at Dublin pubs. I remember the days when you could get, at the very least, a toasted sandwich or a bit of soup at any time of day or night in Dublin pubs - that seems to have been done away with for the most part.

So, I take your point, but I think it's still easier to find decent, affordable food in London than it is in Dublin.

^
    You're most certainly right about pubs serving better food in London than in Dublin.
    About the affordability issue I'm not sure. Partly it could be correct as in general in big cities eating out is much more common as people have less time and less space at home so there need to be more middle of the road eateries (like in NY and Tokyo). I do however think that given lets say €25 a main course (£20) I'd rather eat in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Less likely to get abuse in the street if you're holding hands with a member of the same sex or different race. Great food choice from all over the world, good public transport and so much to see and do.

That said, I don't want to spend my Autumn years here for much longer.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Less likely to get abuse in the street if you're holding hands with a member of the same sex or different race.
    Not since I moved over here...

Not since I moved over here...

Oh, am sorry to hear that. Well, it does happen but there's more support groups out there and the people who yell abuse etc are for the most, frowned on.

Oh, am sorry to hear that. Well, it does happen but there's more support groups out there and the people who yell abuse etc are for the most, frowned on.
    Oh no, sorry, I meant that I’ve brought a lot of the racism and homophobia with me from Dublin.

Ye big ragin’ homo.

Oh no, sorry, I meant that I’ve brought a lot of the racism and homophobia with me from Dublin.

Ye big ragin’ homo.

Odd that you live in SW4, then. :D

Odd that you live in SW4, then. :D

Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer perhaps!

Advertisement