Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locum rights

Options
  • 07-10-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Regular poster, decided to go unreg for this just in case.

I work in an industry which uses locums and have worked as a locum for quite a while. I have worked for one particular business one day a week for over three years. When I started work with this business it was on a trial basis and as we were both happy it became a regular thing. I never signed a contract with the business owner as that tends not to be the done thing in the industry. I only get paid for the hours I work and do not get paid when on holidays (holiday pay has been mentioned as being included in the hourly rate). The business owner also has quite a few medical appointments so I cover extra hours and days here and there for her.

Basically I'm just wondering do I have any rights at all? The holiday pay thing I know is dodgy but to be honest I can't afford to piss her off at this stage, and as it's a small business we all get on very well - I was at her wedding etc. so I won't pursue it. But if I were to become pregnant would they have to keep my position? I'm guessing no but just wanted to clarify. Also as I've worked there every Monday for the past 3.5 years except when on holiday it is more than just an ad hoc arrangement, would this change anything?

And I'm a PAYE employee, she pays my tax, usc, prsi etc - Revenue doesn't allow locums in our field to work as self-employed anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I'd imagine there is some sort of clause to regularise habitual working arrangements like this after a certain length of time.

Assuming there is, you would be entitled to maternity leave.

Open to correction though.

Advertisement