Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock Absorber chafing

Options
  • 07-10-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

After trying a few different brands in the early days, I am now an avid fan of Shock Absorbers, and won't wear anything else. But after about a year, they start to cut/ chafe at the top of my chest. A lot of sports bras seem to chafe just below the chest/ top of rib cage, but this is different.

After my 20 mile yesterday, I now have two proper cuts at the top of my chest from my year old Shock Absorber. It seems to be from the seams cutting into me (helped by last night's rain). My 2 year old one does the same (although not as extreme) after a 5 miler, while my 8 month old one is perfect.

So, my question is, do I just accept that they have a life span of a year or so, or do people know are there any other sports bras out there that offer as good support for D+ cups, but have a longer life span. Given that you're spending almost €50 a pop, you'd like to get a good bit of time out of them.

I run 5 days a week, and alternate between 3 sports bras (although now I only have one "good" one left)!

I enquired in Amphibian King, and they said they are currently trialling a few brands, but haven't found the perfect one yet. Shock Absorber is as close to perfect as they can find!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think one year is a reasonable life span for a sports bra. I hated any shock absorber I used, the ones I use now are simlilarly priced and after about a year start to chafe, the get demoted to bike/strength work bras at that point.

I usually cycle between 2 or 3 if I'm lucky and they last a year...thats with running 5 - 7 days a week etc and washing as little as possible but it still means they're being washed once a week or so. 52 washes would probably kill a normal bra!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Thanks Racoon Queen - maybe I'm just being fussy though, a year does sound reasonable I suppose.

What brand are you using now? How is it better than Shock Absorber?

Looked at some new Shock Absorbers in Debenhams at lunch, and there is a new running one out that doesn't have a seam going down the middle at the front, so that would probably avoid the current chafing. It is dearer though of course!

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/ani-5527/active-extreme-control-sports-bra/?show=1&noc=1
    http://www.freshpair.com/Anita-Momentum-Sports-Bra-5529.html

I use them, the support is great. I'm C cup now but would have worn D cup previously in them. They'll give you a size guide for larger cups as well.
    The cup is actually fleecy so no seams at all which was a winner for me I used to have cuts all over my chest with shock absorber and other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Panache sports bra is well worth a go. Have two of them and absolutely love them for running. Should be available in B-H cups. Band is true to size but I've found it more supportive going down one size in the cup.

Band is true to size but I've found it more supportive going down one size in the cup.

Have always done that myself with sports bras. My sister said it YEARS ago (she's never been sport no idea where she got it from) but I swear by it with sports bras. No way my normal cup size would fit in a sports bra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Thanks a million for all the advice. I didn't know that about going down a size, but definitely makes sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Agree 100% Shock absorber are the best for garrotting you in the chest area. Almost any other bra is better. IN desperation you can pad or tape your skin under the chaffing areas.

I hand wash my running bras and they last much longer .

Advertisement