Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3months/88 days regional work

Options
  • 07-10-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody who has done their regional work and got their 2nd visa have been in a similar situation.

My partners visa is up in early feb and she started her regional work on the 19th of sept, we are flying back to Ireland for Xmas so hoping to get her signed off from sept-dec, now my visa only started in sept and I've been getting plenty of work as it's quite manual physical work but she is getting a couple of days a week paid work and wants to volunteer her time to get the other days done in time.

So when we finish up at work around the 15th of December she hopefully will have 12 weeks done but not 88 days worked as far as I can tell from reading online aslong as she remains with the same employer for 3 months she can include weekends, if she leaves to work another job she will have to do 20days in jan and that leaves it tight too get done.

So has anybody been there and done that, we can get timesheets and all sorted from the boss but the way things are looking she may be getting paid work a couple of days a week and off the rest, hence the "volunteering".

Any input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are making a few big mistakes there.
    minzabud wrote: »
    So when we finish up at work around the 15th of December she hopefully will have 12 weeks done but not 88 days worked ...
    First of all its not 12 weeks. It's 3 months or 88 days.
    as far as I can tell from reading online aslong as she remains with the same employer for 3 months she can include weekends, if she leaves to work another job she will have to do 20days in jan and that leaves it tight too get done.
    I've no idea where you read that but its not remotely true. Working for the same employer makes no difference.
    You can include weekends if you are working full time. ie a full time week counts as 7 days. Full time defined as what ever is industry standard.

So, starting work on 19th of September, in order to reach 88 days, she's need to work full time up to and including the 16th of December.
    But it sounds like she hasn't been full time. Casual work/random days are counted 1 by 1.
    Count up any full time weeks, count up the random days, and the remainder is what needs to be finished in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I rang up immigration about this before when I was working farm work.

If you work full time for the same employer without any breaks. You can get signed off in 3 months.

If you are not working full time, have a break in employment (even just a few weeks off) or change employers. You have to complete 88 days work. A work day is defined by something like more than 5 hours work.

GiftofGab wrote: »

If you work full time for the same employer without any breaks. You can get signed off in 3 months.

If you are not working full time, have a break in employment (even just a few weeks off) or change employers. You have to complete 88 days work. A work day is defined by something like more than 5 hours work.
    You are wrong about the parts in bold. And if you take a break from employment you don't have to work any extra days. But obviously you can't count your time off.

It's explained on the immi website in pretty simple terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

GiftofGab wrote: »

That's where you might be going wrong, DIAC DIBP advise that all information is on their website, if you have trouble interpreting that information then you should seek advice from a MARA agent or Lawyer. DIPB staff are civil servants that are trained to tick boxes, they are not trained in advising on legislation.

If you phone immigration and ask the same question to 5 different operators you will get 5 different answers, they are checking the same information on the same website. If they don't work in WHV then likely they can't advise on which boxes need ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for the replies, we are just trying to cover all bases while we can, the company we are working for have never had any whvs before and there doesn't seem to be many about the town, certainly no other Irish we have come across, even in the pub!

We may have work starting on the grain harvest soon which works right through the weekend so can chalk up the days that way.

Just on the 1263 form it asks for dates of period of employment and then number of actual days worked, so if someone works 9-5 5 days a week for 3 months their form would have less than 88 days marked down.

• Advertisement

minzabud wrote: »
    Just on the 1263 form it asks for dates of period of employment and then number of actual days worked, so if someone works 9-5 5 days a week for 3 months their form would have less than 88 days marked down.
    They would have more than 88 days marked down as working full time allows you to count days off as days worked.

The reason is says actual days worked is because done people might do their 88 (or more) days over 4, 5 or 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GummyBears

Hi Minzabud,

If your partner is permanently employed my one farmer for 13 calendar weeks, then there isn't a need to complete 88 actual days of farm work. When I completed my regional, I was employed by one farmer and was on the payroll for 13 weeks and this was sufficient, even though we may have only worked 3-4 days on some weeks. The farmer signed the employment verification form stating start date and final day.

My friend who started regional at the same time, had to complete 88 actual days as she was employed for a few days at a time by a number of different farming enterprises and when they signed the verification form, they counted the actual number of days and included this tally on the form.

Hope this helps somewhat! If there aren't enough weeks left till you plan to return home for Xmas then the farmer could spread your pay over the following week just bump up the week tally!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

However I've got a new job starting tommorow and herself is going for a medical to get onto the grain harvest with viterra so going to go the long route anyway, if she works up 5 or 6 days on the weekend between now and Xmas should get it done in time may even stay longer as the money is good and the town is quite nice, thanks again for all the replies.

Advertisement