Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who complains to the Gardai in this instance please?

Options
  • 07-10-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Had an intruder last week; climbed the fence damaging it and also damaged the outside tap.. saw him at it and stopped him.

This is a rental so who needs make the report to the Gardaí please? I do know who the intruder is by the way.

Fence and tap of course belong to the owner; fence was erected so my dogs would be safe

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

The owner would know nothing of the incident if the Guards have any questions, so you'll need to do that. However I would also inform the landlord asap, as damage was done.

EDIT: last week??? You should have reported that immediately. Better late than never anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You should report the matter to the Gardai and also to your Landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

You are the occupier so you should report it to the gaurd and also your landlord.

EDIT- sorry already said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Who breaks in somebody's garden to break a tap? What was he actually trying to do? Is it some grief against you or the LL? All sounds very strange

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Who breaks in somebody's garden to break a tap? What was he actually trying to do? Is it some grief against you or the LL? All sounds very strange

Somehow I don't think this was a commando operation to take out the tap. I'm guessing that was collateral damage in the course of standard scumbaggery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Oink wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think this was a commando operation to take out the tap. I'm guessing that was collateral damage in the course of standard scumbaggery.

No I think Ray might be onto something here. Probably in cohorts with the local plumbing supply store. Down with this sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

djimi wrote: »
    No I think Ray might be onto something here. Probably in cohorts with the local plumbing supply store. Down with this sort of thing...

lol...

and yes there is a wider issue here. Hence the delay and the question.

LL has now just reported it and the Gardaí will be following it up with me as I saw it

Some one told me it was not my role to do this but I knew I would find good advice here

Ray Palmer wrote: »

He wanted water to spray fields and decided to climb the fence repeatedly to fill his tank; without bothering to ask of course. It is a high fence by the way ad I lock my gate for privacy and as I have dogs.

I spotted him on his second scaling and sent him on his way then found he had torn the spout off the tap

Rosier wrote: »
    lol...

and yes there is a wider issue here. Hence the delay and the question.

LL has now just reported it and the Gardaí will be following it up with me as I saw it

Some one told me it was not my role to do this but I knew I would find good advice here

I doubt the Gardai care which of you report it, and from their point of view it makes a lot more sense to talk to you than to talk to someone who is only relaying second hand information. For anything like this I would always contact the Gardai directly first, then inform the landlord and if they want to take over then so be it.

I actually had a similar issue in my last place, with some local toerag kids hanging around causing general damage and nuisance. I was always the one who called the Gardai; the landlord or even the management company would have been far too slow to get involved.

• Advertisement

I doubt the Gardai care which of you report it, and from their point of view it makes a lot more sense to talk to you than to talk to someone who is only relaying second hand information. For anything like this I would always contact the Gardai directly first, then inform the landlord and if they want to take over then so be it.

Oh I totally agree; happened the day after my car was rammed on a narrow back lane by the local drug dealer so I was a little less than on the ball. bad timing as else could have killed two birds with one stone! So to speak....

I actually had a similar issue in my last place, with some local toerag kids hanging around causing general damage and nuisance. I was always the one who called the Gardai; the landlord or even the management company would have been far too slow to get involved.

I partly hesitated as there is a wider and very difficult situation here that this is related to here.

Not the first time I have had to involve the Gardai .. not my war... last time I had to get in touch with the Superintendant as the local ones were useless and if need be will do so again

Just needed to be sure it was my job to avoid being told it was nothing to do with me

Thanks..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Rosier wrote: »
    Had an intruder last week; climbed the fence damaging it and also damaged the outside tap.. saw him at it and stopped him.

This is a rental so who needs make the report to the Gardaí please? I do know who the intruder is by the way.

Fence and tap of course belong to the owner; fence was erected so my dogs would be safe

Thank you

To quote Homer Simpson, "Why can't someone else do it?"

Advertisement