Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IDE Drive for laptop or other solution

• 07-10-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ill keep it short as I can...

The Form As Requested

Make and Model: Various Dell laptops Mostly D810

Is it in warranty: No

Operating System: Windows XP

CPU, RAM, GPU: 1G, Pentium 4, Pentium M and Centrino mix, nVidia Geforce Go

Software: Unreal Tournment and Counter Strike (original version)

Connection Problems: Internal Lan - no external internet.

Problem:I have quite a number (6 or 7) of not too old laptops I want to set up as a lan party for a kids party. Laptops work for this purpose perfectly but for one issue.....

The drives were removed before I got them and I don't have enough IDE 2.5 drives to go around (I have the empty caddy trays)

Question:
    So I'm looking for Either

* Where to source any 2.5 IDE drives from 20Gigs upwards (cheap)
    * Or.. a converter I can connect a 3.5 or 2.5 Sata to the IDE laptop
    * Or a way of booting the laptops from a USB key or drive (Hiren worked but changes are lost after a reboot).
    * Or is Network Booting an option? With maybe a usb key as a local drive?

Any ideas appreciated :)
    Thanks.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

16 GB PATA SSD, €42

32 GB PATA SSD €50

64 GB PATA SSD €73

Take your pick, (free delivery)

I used some KingSpec 64 GB SSD in older laptops, gives them a nice boost.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you said you had the empty caddys but they are of no use unless you have the adaptor that converts from the drives pins to the slot on the computer

IIRC those machines will boot from USB keys - but windows will get very snotty about that

they will boot up from a PXE sever as diskless stations

or use any linux boot cd

it might be possible to get games for linux, don't know if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Those SSDs are great - never thought they would support ide- if it was for a laptop that id use often id definitely get one. But 5 of those would be a bit pricey..

I have the required adapters also with the caddys - and managed get one drive so i know they work and will play cs/ut at least.. Have all the network gear.

if i can get 5 more drives it will be a great fun setup...

Re: bootable usb-i will look into this more - bartPE might be an option but not sure...

Ill also look into that "enable onboard lan boot rom" option everyone ignores in the bios...

“Roll it back”

Advertisement