Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

get toned in a month ,help?!

• 07-10-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Alright i have the will power but i need guidance with diet and exercise.
    basically i have done much strenous muscle exercise in the past year,. messed abotu with protein and al lthat , so i have the muscle but ive een eating badly and not doing much ( any ) cardio so acquired a small amount of flab .
    i wanna burn it off fast , within a month .
    i want to stick solely to cycling as my form of exercise.
    ps i already attempted to build my own diet and exercise plan , i ended quitting after 3 days becasue i felt so weak that i could bearwly stand up , i was eatting strictly lean meat , veg
    bascally no carbs or sugar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

lb1997 wrote: »
    Alright i have the will power....
    i ended quitting after 3 days becasue i felt so weak that i could bearwly stand up , i was eatting strictly lean meat , veg

If you want to do this in a month its not going to be pretty. If you want to rethink and take your time then it can be easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

If you want to do this in a month its not going to be pretty..

Now I'm curious! Spill it! :)

Now I'm curious! Spill it! :)

Google protein sparing modified fast or "lyle mcdonalrd psmf "

The jist is eat lean meats for about 3-4g of protein per kg of bw, eat fibrous veg, Drink 0 cal beverages, lift weights 3 times a week and watch the fat melt off. Once a week have a mild carb up for the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Google protein sparing modified fast or "lyle mcdonalrd psmf "

The jist is eat lean meats for about 3-4g of protein per kg of bw, eat fibrous veg, Drink 0 cal beverages, lift weights 3 times a week and watch the fat melt off. Once a week have a mild carb up for the evening.

Ah yeah, I think I read about that before. 'Not going to be pretty' is putting it mildly by the sounds of it!

Its not too difficult if you have the basics of preparing food, some will power and look at it as a transient thing. Most people in my experience fail on these kind of things as they can't look at the bigger picture and go for the immediate benefit. Also a lot of people have never actually experienced hunger and when you do one of these type things you're going to be hungry and that's a real big shock to most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

ok so i guess my diet is the big problem here, so removing a lot of carbs , no sugars , lots of protein .
    what about my exercise?
    would 1 hour to 1 hour 30 hilly cycling per day enough?
    oh and i guess a month is too short time so lets say 2 months

Too many variables to answer your questions. Personally I don't recommend cycling or other cardio as a means to keep fit. If you enjoy them or want to compete that's fine but for someone with limited time and a whole load of other potential health/posturural issue there's better choices.

Read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I did psmf and I didnt really think it was worth it. Had major carb cravings but I suppose it was easy in that I knew I couldnt have any so the temptation wasnt there.

When I try to fat burn again I will just eat at around a 500 cal deficit and lift heavy. takes a few weeks but at least you can retain most muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

lb1997 wrote: »
    Alright i have the will power but i need guidance with diet and exercise.
    basically i have done much strenous muscle exercise in the past year,. messed abotu with protein and al lthat , so i have the muscle but ive een eating badly and not doing much ( any ) cardio so acquired a small amount of flab .
    i wanna burn it off fast , within a month .
    i want to stick solely to cycling as my form of exercise.
    ps i already attempted to build my own diet and exercise plan , i ended quitting after 3 days becasue i felt so weak that i could bearwly stand up , i was eatting strictly lean meat , veg

If your looking to "get toned" or do anything else for that matter in a month forget it . Take whatever time you thi k is reasonable to achieve your goal and double it and you may be somewhere in the region of how long it might take . Anyone telling you to go on a low carb diet probably doesnt know what they are talkin about. Yes it works but you will be hungry irritable and in the long term its unsustainable. Calculate your caloric needs online for a starting point and you macros should look something like this. 1-1.2g protein per lb bodyweight. 0.3-0.4g fat per lb bodyweight . Fill the rest of your caloric needs with carbs. If your not hitting your goal of losing around 1-2 lbs per week drop your carbs by 20 and increase cardio (choice of cardio doesnt matter the goal is just to burn calories) by 30 mins . Only make adjustments if needed and once per week . The key is to eat as much as possible while achieving your goal for sanity and a successful cut. Its like robbing a bank. You can go in all guns blazing and get a quick short result or you can take a few euros each week for a long time and no one will
    notice allowing you to continue with the plan until its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dor843088 wrote: »
    Anyone telling you to go on a low carb diet probably doesnt know what they are talkin about. Yes it works but you will be hungry irritable and in the long term its unsustainable.
    I don't think anybody is denying that he'll be hungry on a PSMF. And of course its not sustainable, its not supposed to be sustained. It's something done for a very short period.
    I don't think it's worth the hassle if you can afford to take more time tbh.
    Calculate your caloric needs online for a starting point and you macros should look something like this. 1-1.2g protein per lb bodyweight. 0.3-0.4g fat per lb bodyweight . Fill the rest of your caloric needs with carbs.
    +1
    I don't track my macros individually anymore, but I'd say that's roughly where I end up on a cut. For me that's maybe something like 200g protein, 70g fat, and 140g carbs.
    I'd also still consider that lower-carb (esp when compared to the typical diet a person is likely to be coming from). It's not going to be chasing a constant state of ketosis or anything. But its low enough that you should hit those numbers with fruit/veg/beans/etc, and it's probably best to avoid the typical large carby meals.

To the OP, nobody here can tell you if what you want is achievable in a month, because you haven't told us your current weight or how much you are trying to lose. But chances are you won't do this in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 PCR

Too many variables to answer your questions. Personally I don't recommend cycling or other cardio as a means to keep fit. If you enjoy them or want to compete that's fine but for someone with limited time and a whole load of other potential health/posturural issue there's better choices.

Read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Nerd fitness is a great website! Might be worth checking out their body weight circuit routines too.

Advertisement