Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Diploma in Oracle Programming

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm currently doing the Postgraduate Diploma in Oracle Programming - Distance Learning with Fitzwilliam Institute Group. I'd be interested in talking to other people who have taken or are currently taking this course. I'm finding that getting feedback from the subject matter expert is not always successful or quick. And they don't connect students so that they can talk to each other to solve problems. It certainly is not like studying with the Open University which was a dream compared to this.

I did my first assignment i.e. building the Online Testing System, Create all the tables and do the ERD. I got 100%, however when it came to assignment 2 it did not seem possible to build 1 of the Views as described. When I asked the Subject matter Expert I got what I would call a cryptic clue. I wonder did he even check my assignment 1. I can't go into a lot of details because I guess we should not be talking in public about assignments, however if anyone else out there is taking the course I sure would like to talk to you.

Aspen13 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daibando

Hi Aspen13

I'm doing the same diploma, good to talk to you!! Yes I have found the same problems as you, are you still doing the course? I've done about 19 of the assignments although some I still have to do a few bits on - I find it pretty tough that you can't get feedback to questions about issues with the course material - how are you getting on yourself?

cheers
    daibando

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

I completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Java Programming recently with Distinction.

Honestly the only time i really contacted the SME was to get everything marked. There was a couple of situations where the instructions couldnt be followed to the word so i just did it whatever way i could and didnt lose anything. Actually got full marks when that happened.

I literally learned near the start that theres no point in contacting them and its a lot quicker to go to stackoverflow etc. for help.

hi test2014,

congrats that's good to hear - yes I've sort of come round to the same way of thinking, it's not ideal though, I think the course material should be tidied up as a result of our feedback, and I think we'd all get more out of the course if we could ask a few questions.

anyway well done on completing the course with such a good result

cheers

daibando

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I done the Oracle Programming through Fás but my lecturer was one of the guys who set up the Fitzwilliam website and some of the courses. Don't tell him I told you but if you need to ask him a question he's name is Brian Rogers. You should be able to find him on Linkedin. I found him brilliant.
    By the way to the guy who got a distinction in the Oracle Java exam - the pass mark was 77 the day I took it so everyone who passes has a distinction. I got 90%, thank you

that's interesting to hear, saucyleopard - maybe then the course works better in the lecture-led format than it does by distance learning - not sure I quite follow what you're saying about the pass mark but well done anyway!!

• Advertisement

I done the Oracle Programming through Fás but my lecturer was one of the guys who set up the Fitzwilliam website and some of the courses. Don't tell him I told you but if you need to ask him a question he's name is Brian Rogers. You should be able to find him on Linkedin. I found him brilliant.
    By the way to the guy who got a distinction in the Oracle Java exam - the pass mark was 77 the day I took it so everyone who passes has a distinction. I got 90%, thank you

Wasnt actually an Oracle Java. Just Java. I know Oracle own java but i think they have an official Cert. No mention of Oracle in this course and a pass was 40 in my case according to the email. Distinction was above 85

Distinction 85% or over
    Credit 70% to 84%
    Pass 40% to 69%

Thats just copied from email.

daibando wrote: »
    that's interesting to hear, saucyleopard - maybe then the course works better in the lecture-led format than it does by distance learning - not sure I quite follow what you're saying about the pass mark but well done anyway!!

Setup probably doesnt suit everyone but i think some of the skills i learned was how to find solutions to problems. Found some really great resources and spoke to really good people along the way that i wouldnt have inside a classroom.

Tended to learn a lot from Videos from places such as Udemy, Coursera and Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Olimpiu

Hey Has anyone finished Diploma in Java Programming with Oracle and is it beneficial for someone who wants a job in that area with just a leaving cert under his belt?

KIND REGARDS
    Olimpiu

Olimpiu wrote: »
    Hey Has anyone finished Diploma in Java Programming with Oracle and is it beneficial for someone who wants a job in that area with just a leaving cert under his belt?

KIND REGARDS
    Olimpiu

I completed this course and I would say your primary goal should be a college or University to get work. At an estimate i would say maybe a 2nd/3rd year student would be at the level of someone who finishes this with Distinction. Maybe even less. A 1st year would probably pass easily.

Advertisement