Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Insurance

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I contacted Chill to ask if they insure laptops bought in the UK, but they don't reply, so if it is like this to sell an insurance, I wonder how will it be when I'll make a claim!!!

Also tried to contact another company to ask if they insure wet acidental damage but they didn't reply.

Any advice for a company that insures against wet accidental damage and laptops bought in both Ireland or UK?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

Thanks for moving the thread.

I presume there's no good insurance companies in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I presume there's no good insurance companies in Ireland....

I think it's such a volatile market with the high theft rates of all mobile devices that even if you did get what seemed to be good cover? they would find some reason to not pay out in the event you needed them to?

Hal;f the time those who claim to cover liquid damage don't really when it comes to the crunch.

The tracking software available for mobile devices too isn't worth a damn, it gives you the IP of the location your device is at if connected to the Net after it was stolen, but the ISP's won't divulge the address to a member of the public and the guards couldn't be arsed to act on it either even though they have the power to retrieve the location from the ISP's. Too many and way too much paperwork if the truth be known.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I think it's such a volatile market with the high theft rates of all mobile devices that even if you did get what seemed to be good cover? they would find some reason to not pay out in the event you needed them to?

Hal;f the time those who claim to cover liquid damage don't really when it comes to the crunch.

The tracking software available for mobile devices too isn't worth a damn, it gives you the IP of the location your device is at if connected to the Net after it was stolen, but the ISP's won't divulge the address to a member of the public and the guards couldn't be arsed to act on it either even though they have the power to retrieve the location from the ISP's. Too many and way too much paperwork if the truth be known.

Is that really true? Because I'm paying insurance from Chill for my iPhone 5 and insurance from Curry's for my LED...Maybe a should just cancel them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is that really true? Because I'm paying insurance from Chill for my iPhone 5 and insurance from Curry's for my LED...Maybe a should just cancel them...

Unfortunately I believe it to be the case but I'm only one individual.

Do all you can to keep your mobile devices safe and avoid the stupid things like leaving them on kitchen counter with back door unlocked while your in the living room watching telly, don't leave them visible in unattended vehicles or leave liquids nearby etc.

If you are unfortunate to loose anything like a Laptop or phone you are highly unlikely to make a successful recovery unless you are very. very, lucky. You might be fortunate to get some recompense from insures but it will never cover you even if you do and remember that dreaded loss that nobody will cover you for, Backup, backup, backup...........

I think insuring them gives a false sense of peace of mind and little more. A bit like the extra cover the likes of the bricks and mortar retailers try to push on you when you purchase a new product? Not worth the paper their printed on TBH.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Unfortunately I believe it to be the case but I'm only one individual.

Do all you can to keep your mobile devices safe and avoid the stupid things like leaving them on kitchen counter with back door unlocked while your in the living room watching telly, don't leave them visible in unattended vehicles or leave liquids nearby etc.

If you are unfortunate to loose anything like a Laptop or phone you are highly unlikely to make a successful recovery unless you are very. very, lucky. You might be fortunate to get some recompense from insures but it will never cover you even if you do and remember that dreaded loss that nobody will cover you for, Backup, backup, backup...........

I think insuring them gives a false sense of peace of mind and little more. A bit like the extra cover the likes of the bricks and mortar retailers try to push on you when you purchase a new product? Not worth the paper their printed on TBH.

Have you read the Chill contract or mobilecover.ie (they are the same company and base thei contract on a company from Zurich) for phones?

There says that loss doesn't include leaving the phone unatended (isn't that the definition of losing something)?

That's why I bought insurance against theft but not loss.

And I suppose many people know it and they just say it has been stolen when they lose it. That's why you have so many theft claims in Ireland!!!

Have you read the Chill contract or mobilecover.ie (they are the same company and base thei contract on a company from Zurich) for phones?

There says that loss doesn't include leaving the phone unatended (isn't that the definition of losing something)?

That's why I bought insurance against theft but not loss.

And I suppose many people know it and they just say it has been stolen when they lose it. That's why you have so many theft claims in Ireland!!!

Here's the contract used on Chill also: https://www.mobilecover.ie/files/POLICY_DOCUMENT_%20(T&Cs).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I contacted Chill to ask if they insure laptops bought in the UK, but they don't reply, so if it is like this to sell an insurance, I wonder how will it be when I'll make a claim!!!

Also tried to contact another company to ask if they insure wet acidental damage but they didn't reply.

Any advice for a company that insures against wet accidental damage and laptops bought in both Ireland or UK?

Thanks

Protect your bubble gadget insurance cover gadgets bought from UK and Irish companies as long as the company is VAT registered as far as I can see. They also cover liquid damage.

Advertisement