Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Availability Dublin

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice from experienced renters in Dublin!

I work in Dublin but have been commuting into the City from the Midlands for several years now. My partner has gotten a job in Dublin and we have decided to take the plunge and move into the Dublin area closer to our respective places of work.

What is the supply like for accommodation in Dublin City and suburbs at the moment? Our budget is reasonable (in my opinion) for what we want and there seems to be nice enough places for my budget in areas that I think we'd like on websites like daft but it appears that they don't last long on there.

Is it typical to see open viewings for accommodation and whoever is lucky to be in first gets it? I remember hearing about that kind of scenario years ago from my friends' experiences. I'm not sure is this still the case? Should I expect to see big queues at open viewings?

Is good quality accommodation being snapped up at a rate of knots and should I be ready to view accommodation at any given opportunity with references and cash deposit in hand?

I'm constantly hearing of a lack of supply in the Dublin area in the media so I'm a little worried about being able to find somewhere that we'd be happy to live in for the duration of a lease. Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing!

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think you already know the answer: demand is high and availability is low. Rents are increasing all the time. You need to move fast for a good place for sure and have ALL your paperwork ready to hand over after viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

From what I can tell, yes, open viewings are the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Does anyone know of any new apartment complex's being built in central Dublin?
    I know building is still thin on the ground, but it seems like a good time for people to start building good quality apartments in key areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

liffeylite wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any new apartment complex's being built in central Dublin?
    I know building is still thin on the ground, but it seems like a good time for people to start building good quality apartments in key areas.

You must be joking. Apartments can be bought for less that the cost of buying a site and building them. Aside from that how many banks are going to finance such schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

camphor wrote: »
    You must be joking. Apartments can be bought for less that the cost of buying a site and building them. Aside from that how many banks are going to finance such schemes?

Sure, but that's if they are already built and are for sale. There are still apartments being built, just in low numbers. There were some built earlier this year in Clontarf.

Plus, with the potential rent yields from them, they can be very lucrative.

Certainly the docklands area woud make sense for new builds. financing would certainly be an issue though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

where will you and your partner be working and what type of property are you looking at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice from experienced renters in Dublin!

I work in Dublin but have been commuting into the City from the Midlands for several years now. My partner has gotten a job in Dublin and we have decided to take the plunge and move into the Dublin area closer to our respective places of work.

What is the supply like for accommodation in Dublin City and suburbs at the moment? Our budget is reasonable (in my opinion) for what we want and there seems to be nice enough places for my budget in areas that I think we'd like on websites like daft but it appears that they don't last long on there.

Is it typical to see open viewings for accommodation and whoever is lucky to be in first gets it? I remember hearing about that kind of scenario years ago from my friends' experiences. I'm not sure is this still the case? Should I expect to see big queues at open viewings?

Is good quality accommodation being snapped up at a rate of knots and should I be ready to view accommodation at any given opportunity with references and cash deposit in hand?

I'm constantly hearing of a lack of supply in the Dublin area in the media so I'm a little worried about being able to find somewhere that we'd be happy to live in for the duration of a lease. Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing!

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

Give us a little help here. Budget, work location, area you would like, family circumstances, interests

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littlekells

Idbatterim wrote: »
    where will you and your partner be working and what type of property are you looking at?

We're both working within the vicinity of the Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littlekells

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Give us a little help here. Budget, work location, area you would like, family circumstances, interests

Hi, we're looking for a 2-bed (both rooms double if possible), budget of max. €1300 pm with parking. We have a car each so ideally open parking or rent an additional space in the case of an apartment block but the second space is not a deal breaker.

We don't have kids so that makes it easier in terms of location.

We're both quite active. My partner plays team sports so would be looking to join clubs when he moves. I prefer walking, gym etc.

I'm very familiar with the south-side of Dublin, having been to college for 6 yrs in UCD and have lived in places like Ranelagh and Donnybrook before. Will be looking around the south, predominantly, I think. Close to public transport is obviously important (15 mins walk to decent bus route or Luas/Dart ideal). I am considering looking northside too, Raheny / Clontarf areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

It's impossible to get accommodation in Dublin so be prepared! It's not even a case of first come first serve. Usually there will be an open viewing and then the landlord will choose who he wants. That was the case for me, and I never got picked even though I had excellent references and full deposit in cash with me at viewings. For one particular place, I was the very first person in line and made an offer. They wouldn't accept because they wanted everyone to get a fair chance to view the place. Turns out I didn't get it because somebody else offered more money, even though I was never given the opportunity to pay more. Another place I viewed, somebody else got it because they paid there deposit before me. Then there was another place which I got. When I went to go and collect the keys, the landlord decided that then would be the perfect time to "amend the lease" and he put the rent up an extra €100. That was way above my budget so I had to say no. Anyway, my advice would be to have all your references ready but just be prepared that anywhere decent will be hugely popular and more than likely you'll be up against a group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

We're both working within the vicinity of the Green.

Unless you want to live in the Dublin 8 area, South Circular Road to Kilmainham which would allow you have a nice little walk each day 15/20 mins I would recommend going out along the Luas Line towards Dundrum i.e Dublin 6 to Dublin14 (or maybe even Carrickmines D18)
    A one Bed would be around 950 in D6 to 1150 in Dundrum.
    There is a demand but not as bad as a month ago when the colleges reopened.
    Really you have to put the word around at work and you might get heads up on a property coming empty. It would suit an agent to have two good tenants in employment lined up rather than go through the process of advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

AllWasWell wrote: »
    It's impossible to get accommodation in Dublin so be prepared! It's not even a case of first come first serve. Usually there will be an open viewing and then the landlord will choose who he wants. That was the case for me, and I never got picked even though I had excellent references and full deposit in cash with me at viewings. For one particular place, I was the very first person in line and made an offer. They wouldn't accept because they wanted everyone to get a fair chance to view the place. Turns out I didn't get it because somebody else offered more money, even though I was never given the opportunity to pay more. Another place I viewed, somebody else got it because they paid there deposit before me. Then there was another place which I got. When I went to go and collect the keys, the landlord decided that then would be the perfect time to "amend the lease" and he put the rent up an extra €100. That was way above my budget so I had to say no. Anyway, my advice would be to have all your references ready but just be prepared that anywhere decent will be hugely popular and more than likely you'll be up against a group of people.

It's absolutely crazy at the moment. I have never seen it this bad!!!! I have been looking the past month. Fortunately, I'm not in major rush so I can hold off for a little while. Every time I ring the place is either gone or no answer aka GONE. :'( I'm going to hold out for a bit and hope it calms down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

maguic24 wrote: »
    It's absolutely crazy at the moment. I have never seen it this bad!!!! I have been looking the past month. Fortunately, I'm not in major rush so I can hold off for a little while. Every time I ring the place is either gone or no answer aka GONE. :'( I'm going to hold out for a bit and hope it calms down a bit.

It won't.

Nothing new being built plus the migration to Dublin for jobs means supply and as a consequence rent is only going one way in the medium term.

There will reach a point where investors can't ignore the yields being generated and you'll start to see cranes appearing in the Dublin skies again but that's a debate for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

cson wrote: »
    It won't.

Nothing new being built plus the migration to Dublin for jobs means supply and as a consequence rent is only going one way in the medium term.

There will reach a point where investors can't ignore the yields being generated and you'll start to see cranes appearing in the Dublin skies again but that's a debate for another thread.

Fudge, shoulda moved last April. :( where are all these jobs??? Or am I missing something??

Advertisement