Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Rashie?

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Do any of you guys wear a thermal rashie under your wetsuit?

Looking to get a rash vest with a built in hood, majority of them seem to be thermal/insulated along with a 5/4/3 suit how would it sit underneath? Too tight/restrictive?

Also, how do you equate this "8OZ P2 Polypropelene" to a mm equivalent? i.e if I wore this rash vest would it give me 6/7mm of layering?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I used to have one with a hood with my old suit and found it perfectly fine (suit was only a 5/3 though). It was sleeveless, so only covered my torso and head, wasn't restrictive at all.

Not sure about the thickness, material was pretty thin on mine, doubt it added much in he way of extra mm. I only wanted it for the hood anyway, don't think a thermal rashie is necessary for warmth if your suit is anyways decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I have a thermal rashie i wear with my summer suit 3/2 which brings me into november.
    I hate the restriction of a 5/3 so it keeps it at bay for a while.
    Couldn't imagine wearing a thermal rashie with a 5/3 though. The wetsuit is already restrictive enough even though it's a high end o'neill one. I just wear a seperate hood and a normal rash vest with the winter suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

I got a heated quiksilver one last year off Wildside sports in Bandon

https://www.facebook.com/WildSideSports?__user=585347823

It's the absolute berries.

To the point four of the lads picked them up for this winter.

I picked it up primilary for the swimming side of things but after surfing in it once there was no going back. Looking forward to those frosty mornings now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Like Prometius I'll start wearing a Billabong Furnace thermal rashie from November with my 3/2, getting an extra month out of it (and I start wearing it again in March usually). Last winter was very mild & didn't need the thermal with my 5/3. I did back in 2010 & 2011 when we had baltic weather! I had every possible layer on then...a 5/4 with 1mm thermal rashie! I have a separate hood though as I prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Invested in a second suit instead of a rashie years ago and haven't looked back

That said I don't have a summer suit

• Advertisement

Invested in a second suit instead of a rashie years ago and haven't looked back

Do you wear both at the same time...that would be warm!! Seriously a 2nd winter suit is a must if you surf whenever there's surf...even with a hangair dryer, 5/3's are a pain to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

myate wrote: »
    even with a hangair dryer, 5/3's are a pain to dry.

Do those things work, always had them in the useless junk pile along with the tubo tunnel fin and webed gloves.

Would you not be better off spinning it in the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Would you not be better off spinning it in the washing machine.

Plenty of wetsuits shredded in washing machines

rodento wrote: »
    Plenty of wetsuits shredded in washing machines
    None of mine and I've done it a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

None of mine and I've done it a good few times.

I heard tiki wetsuits are very robust they can take a good rinse....

• Advertisement

Do those things work, always had them in the useless junk pile along with the tubo tunnel fin and webed gloves.

My one works! Gets used alot in winter. Takes about 3-4 hours for a fully dry suit (5/3). If you surf in the morning and can squeeze in an arvo surf, you'll have a pretty dry suit using it.

myate wrote: »
    My one works! Gets used alot in winter. Takes about 3-4 hours for a fully dry suit (5/3). If you surf in the morning and can squeeze in an arvo surf, you'll have a pretty dry suit using it.

Man up and get into a cold wet wet suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Plastic bag is the key to a wet wetsuit...

Advertisement