Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Install - Network Adapter issues

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I am trying to re-install windows 7 Professional on a colleagues laptop. I recently upgraded my own machine to windows 7 home without a hitch, but this one is causing all sorts of problems. It’s a Samsung RF711-S06UK.
    After the install I don’t seem to have any network capabilities (as well as a number of other issues). I’ve downloaded every driver I can find, but nothing is working.
    In the Device Manager under Network Adapters there is only two Bluetooth Devices. Under Other devices there is:
    • 3D Video Controller
    • Ethernet Controller
    • Network Controller
    • PCI Simple Communications Controller
    • SM Bus Controller
    • Universal Serial Bus Controller
    All with a warning for no drivers installed.

From reading online I was seeing a lot of examples of people being told to install the chipset. I’ve attempted this (Chipset_9.2.0.1019) but the install didn’t seem to make any difference.
    The motherboard is the Intel HM65. I tried installing WLAN_Intel_64bit_15.0.0.75 which I found referenced in another search, but this fails with the message “No Intel Adapters present on this machine”
    I installed speccy and the only thing it’s displaying in the Network / Adapters List is “Bluetooth Device”.
    I’m starting to think there is a hardware problem here, but said I better check if I’ve missed something.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

that's the page I downloaded the drivers from.. and have attempted to install. Each one either installs and nothing changes or I get errors when I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Always start any install by installing the Chipset drivers first before any other device (obviously after the OS is installed). Did you do this ?

Ken

I'm pretty sure I did, but going to try again.

The chipset install I'm using is:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had similar problems last week. I downloaded the drivers to another machine and installed them on my new install without issue.

• Advertisement

Okay, so that's done now.... re-install of windows 7 and install of chipset driver from:
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-RF711-S06UK-downloads

So now I want to get the network controller sorted. In the list on this website there are the following drivers relating to networks and windows 7 64bit:
    Lan
    Wireless LAN,INTEL
    Wireless LAN,BROADCOM
    Wireless LAN,ATHEROS
    Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Driver

My problem is I don't know which one I need. My guess was the Lan driver and one of the wireless drivers. From searching online it appeared the INTEL one would be the right one, but as I said in my first post I got the error message saying there was no INTEL adapter on the machine.

Do I just try them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

No look in device manager for the adapter and somewhere in the properties you should be able to see who the manufactuter is.

FSL wrote: »
    No look in device manager for the adapter and somewhere in the properties you should be able to see who the manufactuter is.

This is why I'm posting here in the first place. That's exactly what I tried to do, but there is NO network adapter in Device Manager. The only thing it mentions is the Network Controller in other devices, but there is no details on that in the properties... Manufacturer: Unkown is all it states.

6xQEs4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The Network Controller is most likely your wireless network adapter. Right click on it and select Properties, then the Details tab, and you should see a dropdown menu. Select Hardware ID here, and copy and paste any of the hardware IDs into Google. It should tell you what device you have installed, and you can find a driver from there.

Thank you PropJoe, exactly what I was looking for.

I have the wireless sorted... will do the same for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

jimbling wrote: »
    Thank you PropJoe, exactly what I was looking for.

I have the wireless sorted... will do the same for the rest.

No worries. The key when reinstalling drivers is to make sure you install the chipset driver first. If you have issues from there on with finding the right driver, just use the hardware ID. Its never let me down yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You may still need to install chipset drivers by the looks of it (although the USB item could also be card reader or the likes). www.pcidatabase.com is great at finding out the driver you need for your unknown items. When you get network connectivity run Windows update again->Check for updates and under optional you may find windows picking some of them up. Clear the rest up using PCI Database. You shouldn't have any items with exclamation marks in the device manager

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

yoyo wrote: »
    (although the USB item could also be card reader or the likes)

Nope, that'd the USB 3.0 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

ethernet controller = nic
    network controller = wireless

Advertisement