Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle Problem

• 07-10-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Our dog has an ear infection and the vet has told us to put a muzzle on him and squirt the drops and and then 30 mins later put ointment in the ear. This is to be done twice a day for 20 days.

Problem is we can't get the muzzle on, he growls and snarls at us like he is going to bite. We have tried using meat but we can't get it over his mouth as he leaves it open.

I managed it once yesterday but my parents won't be able to at all. I am only here twice a month. What is the best course of action here as we don't want him to remain sick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You need to condition him to the muzzle. EG drop a treat in and let him take it out until he's happy to put his face in the muzzle - this will be a lot easier with a basket muzzle compared to a mesh one - the treat will fall out of a mesh one lol! :p Marmite or peanut butter spread inside on the end of the muzzle works well too ;)
    Just doublechecking that he won't let you put the eardrops in without the muzzle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Is the muzzle necessary i.e. if you swaddled him in a towel to stop him wriggling, would he let you near his ears this way, causing less stress to him? Your vet might just be being over cautious with this.

If the muzzle is essential, then don't come at him front on with the muzzle in hand. Once he sees it, it's enough to raise adrenaline levels. So, come from behind calmly and bring the muzzle up slowly from under his chin and clip from behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

he's probably associating the muzzle with the nasty drops and ointment treatment now too - if he has an infection, his ears are hurting :(
    what breed? (How big is he?)

Advertisement