Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google said so...

• 07-10-2013 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just got off the phone to my landlord and it looks like I've handed in my months notice to leave. My next door neighbour, who has the same LL, made a complaint about my 12 week old pup.

Apparently she was looking at google after I told her what kind of dog he was and it said that Doberman are dangerous and should be banned? Must be true if the internet said it.

She also said she will be contacting animal welfare because she seen the XXXXL crate through the window and because " that kind of dog should only be out in the country side".

Some of you may bash me on this one but she also mentioned she will be on to the Gardai as I don't have a muzzle on him while out walking. Yes, by law he should, but at 12 weeks old? I dont ever plan on putting one on him either, as when he gets older I will be only walking him on private land which I have access to. But in the mean time he is not old enough to cover that kind of distance so around my area has to do. (also want to get him used to noises and views of a built up area)

Not arguing here as the LL has been really nice to us and I just dont want the hassel. Just wanted to rant!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So sad, the internet can be really useful, but unfortunately can also be very damaging. Would be no harm for her to contact animal welfare, although not sure who that is exactly, and have them explain what a responsible owner you are if you are crate training your dog.

Hope you find another property that suits you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I may stand corrected but I don't believe they have to wear a muzzle until they are older - six months I think?

Is there a "no pets" clause in your lease? Otherwise, I don't believe your LL is entitled to ask you to leave, unless he's planning on moving back into the apartment himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

boomerang wrote: »
    I may stand corrected but I don't believe they have to wear a muzzle until they are older - six months I think?

Is there a "no pets" clause in your lease? Otherwise, I don't believe your LL is entitled to ask you to leave, unless he's planning on moving back into the apartment himself?

By law- according to the Dog Warden, they have to wear muzzles in public, regardless of age. Daft I know, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

boomerang wrote: »

No I had permission to get the dog. I decided to leave because I just didnt want the hassel from someone with too much time on their hands. They, IMO, are up there with the scumbags and the snobs as to how much I hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Lovely dogs, I know someone who has one. Better off moving sure as you said. The dog is more I important to you than the house no doubt. I hope it takes your landlord a while to re-let the house! He won't like been down on the rent because of the neighbour who is also his tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

duckduckgo says they are less aggressive towards humans than cocker spaniels or great danes. Shame they didn't use a different search engine. :)
    Obviously someone would be more threatened by an aggressive doberman than a cocker spaniel though. Surprised great danes are ranked more highly.
    They are excellent guard dogs. They are likely to extend that behaviour to neighbours and neighbouring apartments in a beneficial way. So it's their loss really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

b_mac wrote: »
    No I had permission to get the dog. I decided to leave because I just didnt want the hassel from someone with too much time on their hands. They, IMO, are up there with the scumbags and the snobs as to how much I hate them.

Even if your sour neighbor calls out the ISPCA, I don't see any harm in that. From dealings with them, they are extremely professional and can see immediately if your pet is being well looked after. They aren't in the business of taking animals out of loving homes (It would be more work for them if they did!)

I think I read on a thread before; That once they've ascertained that all is well the person who wrongly reported can in turn be reported for nuisance callouts. (I could be wrong on that so don't take my word)

I feel for you though I've had my share of Sh*tty neighbors and they can be head wreakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

b_mac wrote: »

yeah he looks vicious.

take the face off ya soon as look at ya

:eek:

(for those off you about to pounce, im taking the proverbial)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aw, he's gorgeous. I used to walk my ex-boyfriend's doberman, people would cross the road when they saw us coming, little did they know he would have licked them to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

By law- according to the Dog Warden, they have to wear muzzles in public, regardless of age. Daft I know, but there you go.

It seems that different local authorities interpret it differently. I was told by a staff member at Ashton that, at that age, they don't have to wear a muzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Great dogs, and fer feck's sake, this one's only a baby! My friend rescues and rehomes Dobermanns. Have yet to meet one that wasn't fun, mannerly and loving. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Every single Dobermann I have ever met have been sweethearts. OP, while I know you feel it's the best thing for you to move house, I really feel sorry for other owners who can't do the same.:(

I know you want to just rant and not start a debate, so I'll leave it at that. Best of luck, he's a beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

mosi wrote: »
    It seems that different local authorities interpret it differently. I was told by a staff member at Ashton that, at that age, they don't have to wear a muzzle.

Well, this was John Driscoll, one of the two actual dog wardens in Dublin, and he says they need to be muzzled by law, even though John is a decent and reasonable man himself. I'd be wary of interpretations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O what a beautiful pet. You will have so many days and years of fun and love with him/her - you are right to look after her interests first - particularly if your neighbour is going to be a spiteful inter fearing ignorant wench.
    So sorry for you : (
    You could always consider ringing your ll back & retracting your notice on the grounds of emotional distress etc caused by yout neighbour - but tbh you dont want a year of anger & abuse from them. Find a fabulous new home with a better landlord & a fantastic garden for your pet & you will bloom together . Life's too short .

Fabulous dog : )

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

Oh what a cute dog. what an idiot of a neighbour

so just because of this ignorant stupid person you now have to move house and your landlord has to find a new tenant. I wouldnt be so hasty to move, I wouldnt think too many landlords would be so understanding and allow pets esp a big dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't worry about the Gardai, they're not going to give two hoots about the muzzle.

At worst you may get a knock on the door from the Gardai or warden asking you to ensure that you wear it when out in public. And you nod and say, "No problem" and that's that. If you really want to, you can explain that the dog is 12 weeks old and you can't yet find a muzzle, but you're inviting a discussion then.

If she does ring up a local animal welfare organisation, take the time to invite them in, show them the ample room and great lifestyle the dog has*, and explain that this neighbour is trying to make life difficult for you for no reason. The welfare organisation will blacklist this woman as a known troublemaker and stop taking her calls. All of the welfare organisations suffer these nuisance busybodies and maintain a list of people they ignore calls from.

Consider this a move well made to get away from this idiot.

*No welfare organisation can/will do anything provided that the animal has food, water & shelter. Even if that particular welfare organisation thinks you shouldn't have a dobie in a an urban area (they won't have a problem with it), there is literally zero they can do

Advertisement