Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360E has no optical/TOSLINK/SPDIF port

Options
  • 07-10-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anybody looking at the new revision 360, MS in their infinite wisdom have binned the optical port but never fear it still has 4 USB ports and the all important dedicated Kinect port which are way better than being able to use your nice headphones or surround sound :rolleyes:

Luckily my TV does a nice job of optical passthrough and I had cables long enough to connect it back up without having to take it off the wall...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just a heads up for anybody looking at the new revision 360, MS in their infinite wisdom have binned the optical port but never fear it still has 4 USB ports and the all important dedicated Kinect port which are way better than being able to use your nice headphones or surround sound :rolleyes:

Luckily my TV does a nice job of optical passthrough and I had cables long enough to connect it back up without having to take it off the wall...

Correct,

One of the limitations of the 360E.... Always opt for a standard slim if you like surround sound....

Silly decision IMO....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

HDMI has been standard for years. TOSLINK/SPDIF are fast becoming redundant tech - will be seeing less and less of it in future so it makes sense MS are moving away from it with newer units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

HDMI has been standard for years. TOSLINK/SPDIF are fast becoming redundant tech - will be seeing less and less of it in future so it makes sense MS are moving away from it with newer units.

And how would one connect their Optical In Gaming Headsets then?

miralize wrote: »
    And how would one connect their Optical In Gaming Headsets then?

With great difficulty I imagine given the lack of optical out.

Or with a HDMI to HDMI/TOSLINK splitter if they must.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Most high end gaming headsets rely on it for 5.1 or 7.1 SS. Its not redundant at all.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Most high end gaming headsets rely on it for 5.1 or 7.1 SS. Its not redundant at all.

I didn't say it was, I said it will be.

Regardless though, the 360E obviously isn't being aimed at the high-end headset gamer and is likely keeping costs down by excluding a feature only a minority of gamers require.

Advertisement