Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brog Closing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Who remembers when the Bróg was a lot smaller and the side bar was a completely different bar called "The Hairy Lemon"

Hairy lemon on the left and they knocked into an crannog on the right. Never really cared for the place after it took over the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I used to love the hairy lemon, real cozy place and the staff were always nice. God another super pub, that's what puts us off heading to town theres too many of them. Now tis nice to have some bit a good mix is needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Danger781 wrote: »
    I used to love the Bróg but in the past year or two it has gone completely downhill..

- There is always an odd smell in there every time I go in there. It always feel unclean or damp or something.
    - I've never gotten a nice pint in there. Ever.
    - After 11pm the price of pints goes past a fiver. Utter madness that is.
    - One of the bouncers at the door is a dick. But on the plus side they have Steve!

Speaking of Steve, I keep on thinking I see him selling hot dogs during the day on Cornmarket Street. I'm passing by every now and again in the car so it's a swift glimpse. I'm hallucinating, right? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You might be right. One of the former bouncers (barmen?) has set up a hot dog business and they sell on Cornmarket street a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't think the proposed pub could be deemed a "super pub".

I, for one, am happy with this, never liked the Bróg, worst pint (non stout) I've had in Cork, rank smell, horrible jax.
    This new venture they're proposing could be a good idea if they go the Tapas route, for that area of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don't think the proposed pub could be deemed a "super pub".

I, for one, am happy with this, never liked the Bróg, worst pint (non stout) I've had in Cork, rank smell, horrible jax.
    This new venture they're proposing could be a good idea if they go the Tapas route, for that area of town.

I see that the former Boqueria is re-opening soon - new name - 6ix , new regime - not sure if it's doing tapas etc. - nice to see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

evilivor wrote: »
    I see that the former Boqueria is re-opening soon - new name - 6ix , new regime - not sure if it's doing tapas etc. - nice to see though.

Where's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Quad is now The Slate, it's similar to the brog of old, but too different to be a good replacement.

The Quad is now the hallway into The Bowery.
    The Slate was Bar Rumba.

I can't bring myself to like or drink in BDSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where's this?

Bridge Street - where the Boqueria was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Had a great few nights in the brog years ago. Used to be the regular spot for a few late night drinks.
    Great music, sh*t pints. What more could you ask for? Alas over the years I noticed the crowd becoming young and younger...and soon, for me, no more did I darken its doorway.
    Seems like they change everything to move more 'upmarket' these days. They did the same to the oval. Cork needs a dingy dive for students. All this tapas and mexican food sh*te is no good! I demand sawdust on the floor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Save An Brog

An Brog is closing. What will we do when we need a warm pint and a lopsided smile from a girl who OMg just love's this song! Don't take it away, like our page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Brog/600734173318056
    Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

If you like getting pissed at half past one in the morning any day of the week regardless of how demented you already are, if you like picking up drunk girls at quarter past two on a cold wet Sunday night and dancing to "Killing in the Name of" twice in a row while desperately guarding your pint then please SAVE THE BROG!!!

^From the above page

Yeah.. That's literally promoting the closure of the Brog..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where will the youngsters who don't wear Gant shirts and rugby shirts who don't fit in Reardon's or "The Wash" go now?
    I haven't been in An Bróg in a good few years and to be honest, would probably never have gone again but I do think the city needs a biggish pub for the more alternative kids.

Fred's is too small and a bit metal orientated.
    BDSM is too shiny and expensive.

Where will they end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Danger781 wrote: »
    ^From the above page

Yeah.. That's literally promoting the closure of the Brog..

Not really, that IS the Brog. A place with no fights, and just one drink thief, everyone else was just getting their drink back.

In 5 years of going there, for 2 years going a minimum of twice a week, I've NEVER seen a fight in the Brog, I've seen and done everything else. From a couple full on shagging on the couch to getting bollix naked myself, because why not? But never any agro. It's the kinda fcuked up place that was perfect for the people who love it.

And now it's changed so much that it's just not that anymore. I really wish the Sober Lane crowd had never gotten involved in the complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

An Brog is closing. What will we do when we need a warm pint and a lopsided smile from a girl who OMg just love's this song! Don't take it away, like our page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Brog/600734173318056
    Thank You.

Stupid webpage made to get "likes". Its not going to do any good.

Had fun times in the Brog years ago, but moved on as I got older.

Im sure there will be some dumping ground for the students and alts once it closes. There always is.

But on reasons why its closing, sure there was always lots in there, but were most people drinking more than a pint or 2? Good chance the answer to that is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

murphym7 wrote: »
    I used to go to the Cranog a lot back in the day, that was a great bar.

Ah yes. Wasn't the name changed to An Brog around 2000 ?

Is Mick V still doing the quiz there on a Monday night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Faith wrote: »
    You might be right. One of the former bouncers (barmen?) has set up a hot dog business and they sell on Cornmarket street a lot.

That's stevie wong,hotdogs known as saucy pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Not really, that IS the Brog. A place with no fights, and just one drink thief, everyone else was just getting their drink back.

In 5 years of going there, for 2 years going a minimum of twice a week, I've NEVER seen a fight in the Brog, I've seen and done everything else. From a couple full on shagging on the couch to getting bollix naked myself, because why not? But never any agro. It's the kinda fcuked up place that was perfect for the people who love it.

And now it's changed so much that it's just not that anymore. I really wish the Sober Lane crowd had never gotten involved in the complex.

things went downhill before the sober lane crowd got involved, and while years ago (im talking 5 years or more ago) the crowd was as such you knew everyone in there to see if not made friends with them all, these past few years its changed drastically in terms of who goes there, i've heard of massive brawls in there with broken glass involved and much rougher/younger crowds, (and you'd see them going in/coming out) on your way to voodoo.

the only way to clear a pub/club's reputation after that downhill spiral is massive refurbishment,new look, new crowd and even that doesn't work sometimes.

there was still a monday night quiz im not sure who does it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Like an old shoe, it's lost its sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My alcohol damaged brain is trying to put the pieces together of that whole building. My memory is that The Brog expanded into the space where the Crannog was.

Was there a time when The Brog, Hairy Lemon and Crannog all co-existed for a while together? And then the Brog took over all the space (kind of like the Borg!) My memory is sketchy to say the least, good times though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No. There were three pubs next to each other -crannog, Hairy lemon and an Bróg. Brog took over the other two and three dank, small, interesting pubs were transformed into the large, dank, piss aroma'd pub we know today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thinking about the changes made over the past few years now, they've been quietly pushing regulars away.

Raising prices from the lovely and cheap to the ridiculous, cleaning up in the back room area, making it brighter. It's everything their old customer base didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

ofcork wrote: »
    That's stevie wong,hotdogs known as saucy pups.

Crikey, right enough, good to know. No wonder An Bróg is closing if Steve is gone! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ncur wrote: »
    Crikey, right enough, good to know. No wonder An Bróg is closing if Steve is gone! :eek:

He's still there. Well he was there as recently as last weekend anyway!

Yeah the hotdog is the day job.

No. There were three pubs next to each other -crannog, Hairy lemon and an Bróg. Brog took over the other two and three dank, small, interesting pubs were transformed into the large, dank, piss aroma'd pub we know today.

That's basically the whole downstairs area of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Liked the hairy lemon didnt like the brog or the crannog and really didnt like the expanded brog. Music too loud and the place stank for years, even before the smoking ban came in. Always felt to me like a pretentious version of jack pluggs if anyone can remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Always felt to me like a pretentious version of jack pluggs if anyone can remember that one.
    An brogue was hardly pretentious!
    Didn't care for Jack Pluggs - too rock bar - but loved The Far Side which predated J P's in the same venue. (or was it the other way around?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, I think it went Far Side, Jack Pluggs, Bakery.

Far Side would have been quite early 90s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

what about lebowskis?! when's that making a comeback?

Advertisement