Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brog Closing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lebowskis was a once off. I doubt we will ever see a pub the likes of that again.

The Pav on a saturday night with Jim Comet comes close, but Lebowskis was in a league of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

gimmick wrote: »
    Ya, I think it went Far Side, Jack Pluggs, Bakery.

Far Side would have been quite early 90s?
    The Far Side was only 7/8 years ago, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lemag wrote: »
    The Far Side was only 7/8 years ago, no?

There was a Far Side over by Idle Hour and Port Bar then. The one we're talking about was under Henry's. Changed to Jack Plugg's around 95 IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I can confirm the place has already begun extensive renovations and will be allot more "up market " when finished.. Think a cross between sober lane & Long Island

Sober island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Danger781 wrote: »
    BDSM offers variety from the norm.

Bring earplugs, music level was deafening to point of pain night I tried it.

• Advertisement

There was a Far Side over by Idle Hour and Port Bar then. The one we're talking about was under Henry's. Changed to Jack Plugg's around 95 IIRC.
    That's the one that I was thinking of alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ya, I think it went Far Side, Jack Pluggs, Bakery.

Far Side would have been quite early 90s?

Wasn't it called Rattlesnake Annies or something like that for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

yeah rattlesnake annes but wasnt the same by then. I remember the far side too but barely.

This thread has turned in to a lovely trip down memory lane of the almost forgotten pubs of Cork city.

Lemag wrote: »
    This thread has turned in to a lovely trip down memory lane of the almost forgotten pubs of Cork city.

De ja voodoo's, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mel from there went over and took a lease on The Gateway. Think she left Dejavoodoos because she got beaten up there one night.
    Roesy wrote: »
    Wasn't it called Rattlesnake Annies or something like that for a while?

I have no memory of it being called that. Unless it was late 80s?

no it was after plugs maybe 3-4 years before Henrys was demolished. The place always had a young element but rattlesnake annies was pretty much just the young element.

Never overly fond of lebowski's, liked it but never a favourite. Great toasted sandwiches though. Very popular with the college of com students.

The Liberty deserves a mention.
    Ahhh filthy good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Whatever it was called, the back of it backed onto the Goat. You could almost hear the music coming through the wall from the Goat.

Only remember it as the Bakery. Was prob the biggest pub in Cork I'd say. Could have even been bigger than Reardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Liberty deserves a mention.
    Ahhh filthy good times!

The ultimate "dive bar". You could bring your own 2-litre of cider, couldn't you? Sitting on kegs. And the toilets were something to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Mel from there went over and took a lease on The Gateway. Think she left Dejavoodoos because she got beaten up there one night.

I have no memory of it being called that. Unless it was late 80s?

Would have been 10 in the late 80's so I doubt it!!! Think it was Rattlesnake Annies for a little while after Jack Pluggs. I never really frequented the place after Jack Pluggs closed.

Whatever it was called, the back of it backed onto the Goat. You could almost hear the music coming through the wall from the Goat.

Only remember it as the Bakery. Was prob the biggest pub in Cork I'd say. Could have even been bigger than Reardens.

That sounds like it incorporated the old Far Side/Jack Plugg's venue and The Village.

who_me wrote: »
    The ultimate "dive bar". You could bring your own 2-litre of cider, couldn't you? Sitting on kegs. And the toilets were something to behold!

No, you weren't allowed to bring in 2 litres. Mick used to sell 2 litres over the counter. (That's not to say that people didn't bring in their own)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Friend of mine who is getting married soon met his finance there so he'll be quite sad about this.

What I'm sad about it the general demise of the dive bar in the last couple of years.

Quad - gone

Cruscin - gone

Coughlans (my local for years) - gone all 'classy', they even painted the place FFS

Also, some of ye may have noticed that the Brown Derby is gone but that place was a serious health hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The brog lost its way when it devoured the crannog and hairy lemon. It was just **** after that.

• Advertisement

No, you weren't allowed to bring in 2 litres. Mick used to sell 2 litres over the counter. (That's not to say that people didn't bring in their own)

Ah, that makes more sense!

Friend of mine who is getting married soon met his finance there so he'll be quite sad about this.

What I'm sad about it the general demise of the dive bar in the last couple of years.

Quad - gone

Cruscin - gone

Coughlans (my local for years) - gone all 'classy', they even painted the place FFS

Also, some of ye may have noticed that the Brown Derby is gone but that place was a serious health hazard.

I'm not sure I'd call it a dive bar, but Tom Barry's used to be a small unrefined pub and now is massively popular - in summer anyhow. Many of the regulars moved up the road to Bradleys, which has become increasingly popular too. What was the bar Bar Pigalle replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

who_me wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd call it a dive bar, but Tom Barry's used to be a small unrefined pub and now is massively popular - in summer anyhow. Many of the regulars moved up the road to Bradleys, which has become increasingly popular too. What was the bar Bar Pigalle replaced?

The Wolfhound. Speaking of Barrack St, I walked into the Gateway for the last time in 2005. The lights were on full and I knew it wasn't for me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The Brog was an awful dump. The whole place stank of piss and funnily enough the toilets were the dirtiest I have even seen.

That sounds like it incorporated the old Far Side/Jack Plugg's venue and The Village.

It did too I had forgotten that. I was working in a bar in douglas at the time and we used go there as it was a late night bar. That would have been 2001/2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Anyone remember The Steeple?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cruscin - gone

wha?! when did that happen??!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    wha?! when did that happen??!
    An Cruiscin Lan has been closed since about August of last year.

Anyone remember Bourbon Street? Some great gigs went on in there, nearly 2 years since it closed. I miss the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

have a sneaky feeling this is a marketing ploy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I used to drink there a bit but every Saturday night would see me being refused while everyone else drunk of their heads would be let in , I don't know why but they would never let me in!
    I was in there on a weeknight recently early enough and bought a pint and a glass of wine then tried to figure out why I was given so much change, it was really cheap and horrible though!

Advertisement