Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brog Closing?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

have a sneaky feeling this is a marketing ploy

The more I watch what's going on on Facebook, the more I get the feeling you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Jambo221 wrote: »
    An Cruiscin Lan has been closed since about August of last year.

Anyone remember Bourbon Street? Some great gigs went on in there, nearly 2 years since it closed. I miss the place.

Wasn't that the one on McCurtain st? Has it been 2 years!? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Faith wrote: »
    The more I watch what's going on on Facebook, the more I get the feeling you're right.

Why what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why what's going on?

It could be that they are just planning on renovating An Bróg and plan to reopen as a cheap studenty bar with loudish alternative music and not too shiny décor.
    But to create interest, they have announced that they will make it a shiny trendy bar with food.
    Cue, outrage and discussion on the internet, campaigns to save An Bróg etc. etc.
    Then they announce that due to popular demand they have changed their minds and are going to reopen as a somewhat done up Bróg and people flock there with a huge sense of relief and loyalty.

It is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It could be that they are just planning on renovating An Bróg and plan to reopen as a cheap studenty bar with loudish alternative music and not too shiny décor.
    But to create interest, they have announced that they will make it a shiny trendy bar with food.
    Cue, outrage and discussion on the internet, campaigns to save An Bróg etc. etc.
    Then they announce that due to popular demand they have changed their minds and are going to reopen as a somewhat done up Bróg and people flock there with a huge sense of relief and loyalty.

It is possible.

I came here to post pretty much this. Was talking to some staff in there last night, they think this is what is happening too. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

It's a classic bait and switch.

• Advertisement

It is possible.

Exactly.

There's Facebook updates that seem to contradict each other a bit, like:
    Wow folks that was one helluva outpouring of support. Am absolutely stunned by the reaction. Didnt realise so many people cared. Thank you thank you thank you. Someone said to me that they heard it on Red FM too?!? Wanna clarify a few things. Firstly, we are STILL open. Secondly, nobody is losing their jobs as far as I know. Thirdly, please dont write off the new bar so quick as there will be a lot of familiar faces working there. And finally, a lot of people have suggested protests or petitions etc; I like the idea but these things never seem to work so lets just stay calm about this. Guys and gals thank you all so much for your support. Epic stuff!!!

Followed a couple of days later with
    Guys n Gals, so many of you have voiced your protests at the news that An Bróg is getting the axe but we the staff have been somewhat silent. We obviously dont want our favourite dive bar to close either so today I asked 2 of the owners if we, the staff, could stage our own protest. Fair play to them they said yes as long as we dont do anything stupid (Ha ha... as if). So we've been busy bees today and tomorrow we launch our own Save The Bróg campaign. We'll keep you posted and please support our efforts. You dont have to come in to the bar to support us but just keep up the pressure on Facebook etc. We really appreciate your efforts and we want to do our bit too.
    #SaveTheBróg
    Lets get this ****er trending on Twitter Facebook & anything else ye can think of!!!

There was also this:
    One of the bosses said to me last night, "What the **** did you do?"
    I replied, "I just told them what you told me and they didn't like it"

If I was in charge, heads would roll for using Facebook to make announcements like this without explicit permission. I certainly wouldn't allow that staff member to retain access to the account and keep posting every day.

It just reminds me of the marketing tactics used on many of the Facebook pages for events run by members of the group who've taken over the Bróg. Things like "Oh, we're fielding a dozen calls an hour from people about X" or "tickets have nearly sold out!" (when the event is still a month away and there's always access on the door). Creating hype that doesn't necessarily reflect the actual level of interest.

Also, look at this thread. Lots of people are saying "That's a shame. I used to love it there but I haven't gone in years/it's been going downhill for ages/it's changed completely in the last two years and I don't like it any more". Nobody seems interested in fighting for the place to stay open.

If it is a marketing ploy, it's very clever. Either way, best of luck to them.

Thinking this myself as I was in there today too pop into a friend and I asked where the kitchens going and they said theres none in the plans.. Surley if they were doing food a kitchen be a basic requirement ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

any one remember DeLacy house or am i showing my age lol

It's 100% a marketing ploy, I'd stake my life on it at this stage.

Today's Facebook update:
    Long but productive meeting today folks. The owners have asked me to release the following statement:

"Following the reaction to Mondays announcement it was obvious to all that we got it wrong. We mistakenly thought that An Bróg was past its "Sell By" date. Clearly the overwhelming support that the news generated is a strong indication that there is still a demand for a Club-In-A-Pub Dive Bar like An Bróg in Cork 7 nights a week. With this in mind we have begun to revise all plans for renovation. We hope to finalise these comprehensive revisions over the weekend. We hope to be able to make a more definitive announcement on Monday. We would like to thank you all for your patience and for taking the time to express your views."

We're not there yet folks but we're much better off than we were on Monday night. I don't know about you but I'm getting drunk tonight

They've created a hype about the jazz weekend to get people in there who might normally go somewhere else, they're forced everyone to reminisce about the good times they had in the Brog in the past in an effort to get them back through the doors, they're getting huge amounts of free publicity... Absolute scam, right from the beginning. It was all to stop anyone from giving out about the minor changes. Classic teenage strategy: "Mum and Dad, I'm pregnant.... I'm not really, but I did fail my exams" kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Thinking this myself as I was in there today too pop into a friend and I asked where the kitchens going and they said theres none in the plans.. Surley if they were doing food a kitchen be a basic requirement ha ha!

And you'd think half decent beer would be a basic requirement of a pub, but it never stopped the Bróg.

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    And you'd think half decent beer would be a basic requirement of a pub, but it never stopped the Bróg.

That doesn't stop the vast majority of pubs operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 terfiona

i think you ar e exactly right !

Faith wrote: »
    It's 100% a marketing ploy, I'd stake my life on it at this stage.

Today's Facebook update:

I've been saying this since Wednesday, it became obvious very fast..... that said, the staff didn't know about it. Not sure about the manager of An Brog or the person running the page though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I've been saying this since Wednesday, it became obvious very fast..... that said, the staff didn't know about it. Not sure about the manager of An Brog or the person running the page though.

i still dont know if it was a marketing ploy or differences of opinion between the owners... going by what one owner has being saying on his fb id say its the latter tbh....

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i still dont know if it was a marketing ploy or differences of opinion between the owners... going by what one owner has being saying on his fb id say its the latter tbh....

Which owner?

hoodwinked wrote: »

Your user name and your willingness to suspect the best in people quite funny!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I didn't think there would be any market for an upmarket tapas cocktail bar anymore. Things must be tigering up again.. time to get a massive loan and slap up a few houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Latest update is that it'll be over 21s from Friday. Doesn't bother me in the slightest but i am a little surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Metacarpi wrote: »
    Latest update is that it'll be over 21s from Friday. Doesn't bother me in the slightest but i am a little surprised.

Great, no 'L' plate drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Saw a poster in the window of The Brog yesterday saying "Save the Brog". Strange how the owner would have allowed that to have been put up :rolleyes:

Seems like the whole thing is a silly stunt. I was glad to see the back of the place. I never had a decent pint in there in my life.

• Advertisement

Saw a poster in the window of The Brog yesterday saying "Save the Brog". Strange how the owner would have allowed that to have been put up :rolleyes:

Seems like the whole thing is a silly stunt. I was glad to see the back of the place. I never had a decent pint in there in my life.

Not just a simple silly stunt either. The only things not changing from when they said they wanted to change are the names and the food and cocktail menu.... though I wouldn't be surprised if they still brought in a cocktail bar given the amount of open space they have now.

Changing the age policy changes the whole essence of the place. It was always a place that anyone could go, the weird kids, the rockers, etc. I guarantee they start a dress code within a short while. Given I've literally danced in my underwear in the Brog 3 years ago, I am stating now, this isn't the Brog we all knew, it's just another pub by numbers. :)

Passed this morning and it's now called barbosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Passed this morning and it's now called barbosa.
    The new An Brog is behind Barbosa. It's accessed from the lane way which leads in to the English Market.

Lemag wrote: »
    The new An Brog is behind Barbosa. It's accessed from the lane way which leads in to the English Market.

So the old hairy lemon will be the hipster barbosa place so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So the old hairy lemon will be the hipster barbosa place so?

Why would you assume its hipster? I was in there a few weeks ago and it had a very mixed/older crowd. Nothing hipster about it at all.

gimmick wrote: »
    Why would you assume its hipster? I was in there a few weeks ago and it had a very mixed/older crowd. Nothing hipster about it at all.

I just thought that was the crowd they would be aiming for. If it's not then great!

Advertisement