Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Faith wrote: »
    Surely the farmers get the usual price for their produce though, and it's the supermarket that absorbs the loss as a loss leader?
    No, that's not how discounts in supermarkets work. The supermarket says to the farmer, we're going to sell your product at a loss, and if you don't absorb the loss yourself, well, byebye and we'll find another supplier. All the big supermarkets do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, that's not how discounts in supermarkets work. The supermarket says to the farmer, we're going to sell your product at a loss, and if you don't absorb the loss yourself, well, byebye and we'll find another supplier. All the big supermarkets do it.

Oh :/. I didn't know that, I thought the supermarkets absorbed it because people would buy so much more once they're in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh :/. I didn't know that, I thought the supermarkets absorbed it because people would buy so much more once they're in the door.
    Well they deny it but there is lots of evidence to the contrary:
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2013-03-24/4582278

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't know if it's true of all supermarkets but it seems Aldi in particular are absorbing the cost of the promotion themselves, and still paying a 'fair' price to farmers. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/farmers-set-to-protest-over-cut-price-food-war-253082.html
    I bought some of their veg during the week to make soup, but will be getting the bulk of my fruit and veg from the local market stall, as even if the farmers are getting a fair price for their produce, small business owners are clearly missing out on business because of these promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

dee_mc wrote: »
    I don't know if it's true of all supermarkets but it seems Aldi in particular are absorbing the cost of the promotion themselves, and still paying a 'fair' price to farmers. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/farmers-set-to-protest-over-cut-price-food-war-253082.html
    I bought some of their veg during the week to make soup, but will be getting the bulk of my fruit and veg from the local market stall, as even if the farmers are getting a fair price for their produce, small business owners are clearly missing out on business because of these promotions.

But the vegetables you are buying are, as far as I can see, not Irish. So the Irish growers are getting screwed anyway.

Iwantmydinner: I am not in any way offended, I agree wholeheartedly, but like many others I have seen my job go to three days a week, my mortgage sure as hell isn't going down and I have to save money in any way I can.

I come from a farming background and in fact make a food product that I sell at Farmer's markets, so it is not like I don't understand the problems from both sides. I might have been more forceful in my original post, but I don't want to make people who are already having a hard time feel any worse.

Edited in Christmas spirit: I am not suggesting you do want people to feel bad either - lol, just in case anyone reads it that way.

Well they deny it but there is lots of evidence to the contrary:
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2013-03-24/4582278

There have been several very good books on the subject of which this is a good one. It is a terrifying read and there is loads of stuff that I just wont touch in supermarkets, prawns being one of them, since I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Medicating a chronic Aperol Spritz hangover with doritos, rice crispie squares, paracetemol and a promise to myself that I will never, ever uncork anything ever again. Need to go buy dishwasher tab things to make the mess go away but afraid I'll vom in Centra, the poor people in Centra don't deserve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Both Aldi and Lidl have publicly said they are absorbing the loss, not the suppliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Some of the local farmers in my area back home are just ploughing the veg back into the ground to minimise their losses this year. They are being crucified on price & it would only cost more to harvest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I got a free sack of spuds from my dog food supplier as a Christmas thank you. I buy a lot of dog food. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

There is one thing certain - the suprlermarkets won't have a dent in their profits as a result of this stunt. My (somewhat educated) guess is that it'll be a combination of a) the customers will pay a bit extra on other items, and b) the suppliers will be forced to take a cut in weeks/months to come.

"Our research shows our customers are unwilling to pay €x for these carrots. You'll haveto cut your price by €x per tonne."

"But I can't give you a price cut. My margin is already negligible!"

"No problem. We'll find another supplier willing to trade in our terms."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Some of the local farmers in my area back home are just ploughing the veg back into the ground to minimise their losses this year. They are being crucified on price & it would only cost more to harvest.

That is horrific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's must be heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I know that people are tight for cash, but if you can, please buy Irish produce from an independent shopkeeper, farmers market or even better - direct from the farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

To change the topic a little :)

Which is better value: Breast on bone or Chicken breast fillets. I lost my weighiing scale so I'm not sure the weight.

3 Chicken Breasts with Bone: 7.50

500g of chicken breasts fillets: 5.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I know that people are tight for cash, but if you can, please buy Irish produce from an independent shopkeeper, farmers market or even better - direct from the farm.

This is my new year's resolution actually. I do buy from the local greengrocers and butchers but not often enough - going to change that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dolbert wrote: »
    This is my new year's resolution actually. I do buy from the local greengrocers and butchers but not often enough - going to change that :)

Me too. I sometimes find it really difficult to shop anywhere that isn't a supermarket with late opening hours, just with work schedules (and <cough> laziness), but this year we are changing around how we shop a bit and going to try and be better organised and more clever with how & when we shop. Feel a bit ill thinking about people being driven into the ground so that I can have 69c bags of apples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Our local supermarket buy any fruit and veg that's in season from the North County growers. Their eggs and a lot of other produce are local too.
    Too may producers are being squeezed out of business by the multiples.

Animord wrote: »

I come from a farming background and in fact make a food product that I sell at Farmer's markets

Sweet or savoury? I'll be wondering if it's you at every stall at the farmers markets now! :D

• Advertisement

Sweet or savoury? I'll be wondering if it's you at every stall at the farmers markets now! :D

That's how stalking starts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    To change the topic a little :)

Which is better value: Breast on bone or Chicken breast fillets. I lost my weighiing scale so I'm not sure the weight.

3 Chicken Breasts with Bone: 7.50

500g of chicken breasts fillets: 5.00

I don't know which is better value but the breast on the bone will taste much better when cooked (on the bone) and is probably more likely to be Irish chicken.

That's it, DB :D

Anyone got a nice easy recipe for a chocolate sauce to go with venison steaks? All the recipes I'm seeing online seem fiddly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

CAN'T WAIT FOR 4PM :D:D:D

Anyone got a nice easy recipe for a chocolate sauce to go with venison steaks? All the recipes I'm seeing online seem fiddly.

Hi Faith,

I have this in the fridge. Not sure why they call it a fudge choc sauce, because it's not "fudgey" . Anyway, it's yummy

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/30/dan-lepard-edible-christmas-gift-recipes

If you're stuck I'll be in Le Chateaux tomo evening so PM me and I'll bring some in :)

I was in Lidl at lunchtime and picked up a roll of their "Deluxe" range of sausage meet. 80% pork and it's 1.99 for 700g (I think) - a lot easier that cutting open sausages for the stuffing..

• Advertisement

That's how stalking starts ;)

Yes, but no odder than me standing at the stall wondering, is this Faith, MissFlitworth, Murdywurdy or iwantmydinner (etc). And clearly I can NEVER ask that question! :pac:

I make savoury things in jars that are sold at a market and in a couple of shops - I can't tell you any more in case of being banned :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Sautee chopped onions gently till translucent, add crushed garlic, and chopped thyme but this is optional, throw in a cup of red wine and juice from venison if any left, let it boil till reduced a bit, turn the heat low and throw in a piece of dark chocolate. Season to taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Sautee chopped onions gently till translucent, add crushed garlic, and chopped thyme but this is optional, throw in a cup of red wine and juice from venison if any left, let it boil till reduced a bit, turn the heat low and throw in a piece of dark chocolate. Season to taste.

I'd add some chopped, smoked bacon at the sautéeing stage too. Maybe half stock/half red wine too.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

I have this in the fridge. Not sure why they call it a fudge choc sauce, because it's not "fudgey" . Anyway, it's yummy

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/30/dan-lepard-edible-christmas-gift-recipes

If you're stuck I'll be in Le Chateaux tomo evening so PM me and I'll bring some in :)

Thanks Loire, it's actually a savoury sauce I'm looking for :)
    Mrs Fox wrote: »

Great, I was thinking along those lines, with a bit of stock also.
    Animord wrote: »
    Yes, but no odder than me standing at the stall wondering, is this Faith, MissFlitworth, Murdywurdy or iwantmydinner (etc). And clearly I can NEVER ask that question! :pac:

I make savoury things in jars that are sold at a market and in a couple of shops - I can't tell you any more in case of being banned :p

Stalk, stalk, stalk :D

Great, I was thinking along those lines, with a bit of stock also.

You mean, a bit of stalk ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm sure we're all awaiting the F&D mods' speech on Christmas day. We being their subjects and all. :pac:

Loving all the Christmas dinner prep! :)

Just glazed the ham in treacle, mustard and brown sugar. Dipping our fingers in the roasting tin afterwards and those three ingredients (together with some chillis) would make a fantastic sticky BBQ sauce.

How you all getting on?

God some people cook a Turkey weird.

I was talking to one person, and they leave the turkey out overnight :confused: They've been doing it forever and hasn't once gotten sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    God some people cook a Turkey weird.

I was talking to one person, and they leave the turkey out overnight :confused: They've been doing it forever and hasn't once gotten sick.

Why would they get sick? We've a goose defrosting in the shed, just like every other year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Massive kudos to my wife for making the most delicious mince pies I have ever had this year.

mince meat made about 4/5 weeks ago and a very large, short crust pastry used. Utterly epic......

Why would they get sick? We've a goose defrosting in the shed, just like every other year.

It's already thawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Saw this elsewhere on Boards. Thought some here might get a laugh
    out of it :):):)

1412_d36f.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slight disaster when we got to the butchers and they had no record of our order; we couldn't get the turkey bone on the crown as I wanted, instead we got a boneless crown. I took a knife to it and a hammer to it and flattened it out to make it easy to roll tomorrow. It's now brining overnight in Nigella's brine recipe. Tomorrow I will stuff it and roll it and roast it in the oven.

Trifle is made - first time making custard and it was a doddle. Drinking bubbles while baking is highly recommended.

Also made turkey giblet stock, prosecco jelly, cranberry sauce, sage stuffing, pine nut & mango stuffing.

I watched Die Hard for the first time. I'm almost afraid to say I found it very boring!

Slight disaster when we got to the butchers and they had no record of our order; we couldn't get the turkey bone on the crown as I wanted, instead we got a boneless crown. I took a knife to it and a hammer to it and flattened it out to make it easy to roll tomorrow. It's now brining overnight in Nigella's brine recipe. Tomorrow I will stuff it and roll it and roast it in the oven.

Trifle is made - first time making custard and it was a doddle. Drinking bubbles while baking is highly recommended.

Also made turkey giblet stock, prosecco jelly, cranberry sauce, sage stuffing, pine nut & mango stuffing.

I watched Die Hard for the first time. I'm almost afraid to say I found it very boring!

You saved my ass! Had forgotten to take the stock and the pureed veg out of the freezer to make the gravy in the morning. Thank you!!! :D

Brined turkey a la Nigella last night.
    Gordon's Caramelised cranberry and apple sauce done.
    Jamie's get-ahead gravy stock done.
    Potatoes and carrots peeled and soaked.
    Cookies and milk, and carrot for Santy and gang done.
    Sausage nut stuffing prep done.
    Putting my feet up at last with a worthy can of full fat coke.

• Advertisement

I'm RAGING. I made my very first pavlova tonight but I fecking forgot about it when it was in the oven. It got an extra 30 minutes cooking :mad: I hope it's okay :(

An easy to clean garlic crusher has been on my wish list for years. Got this little beauty from my kids this morning.
    http://www.josephjoseph.com/product/rocker. (Available in Arnotts).

Seems to work very nicely!

Bought Mrs Gloomster a pasta machine. Dying to try it myself but must resist until she's had a go first! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Wishing all the lovely people in my favourite forum a very happy and festive Christmas, full of deliciousness, good cheer and merriment!!xx

QUOTE=Merkin;88151869]Wishing all the lovely people in my favourite forum a very happy and festive Christmas, full of deliciousness, good cheer and merriment!!xx[/QUOTE]

You too Merkin, and Happy Christmas to everyone here!

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Christmas eats waft with a healthy aroma
    Temptation may induce a food coma
    May your bellies be full
    Now fall into a lul
    By tomorrow collect your Food & Drink Diploma

Or something. OK, no. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

An easy to clean garlic crusher has been on my wish list for years. Got this little beauty from my kids this morning.
    http://www.josephjoseph.com/product/rocker. (Available in Arnotts).

Seems to work very nicely!

Bought Mrs Gloomster a pasta machine. Dying to try it myself but must resist until she's had a go first! ;)

I love Joseph Joseph stuff, I have quite a collection. It's so affordable as well. I got quite a bit of kitchen stuff as presents which is great. I made hampers as presents this year with chutney etc so my mum got me quite a bit of stuff for preserving. I'm looking forward to trying lots of new recipes.

I hope everyone had a lovely food filled day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dear sellers of turkey,

Please do not label your turkeys as "with giblets" when you're only going to supply about 3 inches of neck and nothing else. The neck is not "giblets"

TIA

I'd just like to say a massive thank you to all those who recommended brining the turkey.

BEST. TURKEY. EVER.

And I didn't have a brining recipe in the end so just fired in anything that came to hand - it really was brilliant, so thanks a million!

For the first time in my life I am looking forward to cold turkey sandwiches.

There doesn't appear to be a big kiss emote so you will just have to imagine it instead.

A big MWAH to all the Cooking & Recipes boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Down in the in laws this year. Fantastic meal and again today. But none of them eat Christmas Pudding (bar me and her old man). Somebody's mother made it and its absolutely stunning.

None of them would touch it. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

The killer is that none of them would even taste it either.

more for me.....

• Advertisement

Down in the in laws this year. Fantastic meal and again today. But none of them eat Christmas Pudding (bar me and her old man). Somebody's mother made it and its absolutely stunning.

None of them would touch it. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

The killer is that none of them would even taste it either.

more for me.....

I was put off it very early in life by having yucky ones, it wasn't until I started making my own mixed peel, which is a very laborious job, but makes such a massive difference to puddings and cakes, that I started to eat them. That and good quality cherries make a massive difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement