Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I hate Christmas pudding, yuck. I also hate Christmas cake but I make one for my dad every year. He said this year's was nice so I'll take his word for it!

I hate raisins, sultanas and all that kind of stuff so Christmas pudding has no hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I hate Christmas pudding, yuck. I also hate Christmas cake but I make one for my dad every year. He said this year's was nice so I'll take his word for it!

I hate raisins, sultanas and all that kind of stuff so Christmas pudding has no hope!

But at least taste it!! Since you have hated it, your taste buds have significantly developed and you'd be amazed at what you like and dont like. What I will say about Christmas pud, is that if its well made, you wont taste any one single fruit in it, its a hot gooey delicious mess with brandy butter.

No doubt people will come along and say they dont like brandy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

But at least taste it!! Since you have hated it, your taste buds have significantly developed and you'd be amazed at what you like and dont like. What I will say about Christmas pud, is that if its well made, you wont taste any one single fruit in it, its a hot gooey delicious mess with brandy butter.

No doubt people will come along and say they dont like brandy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hate the taste of anything with raisins, sultanas or dried fruit. I don't like desserts that are fruit based at all (e.g apple pie). I only really like desserts with chocolate in it. So I don't need to taste it. I know what is tasty to me, just the same as I am sure I eat things you wouldn't enjoy.

And no, I don't like brandy. So rolleyes right back at you.

It would be petty boring if we all liked the same things wouldn't it? It just means more pudding for you!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, I wouldn't be the fondest of stuff with all that in them either. We do other desserts though, Apple tart, cheesecake, etc. Apple crumble doesn't make the list, I don't like stewed apples. Weird, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm not a fan of deserts much at all, but I do like puds. I'm the only one in my family who does though, so I only actually get to have some Xmas pud every few years. It just doesn't seem worth it for one person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Need a bigger fridge! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I hate the taste of anything with raisins, sultanas or dried fruit. I don't like desserts that are fruit based at all (e.g apple pie). I only really like desserts with chocolate in it. So I don't need to taste it. I know what is tasty to me, just the same as I am sure I eat things you wouldn't enjoy.

And no, I don't like brandy. So rolleyes right back at you.

It would be petty boring if we all liked the same things wouldn't it? It just means more pudding for you!

the point is, that brandy butter doesnt taste like brandy, its just a rich butter with some alcohol. Christmas pudding doesnt taste like all the fruit thats in it, its the combination of christmas flavours and time that makes it so appetising.

I have no problem with people saying that they dont like something, but at least give it a try. Give it that chance, you'd be surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Does anyone here every do the 'buy a half a pig' thing? I'm thinking of giving it a whirl under my plan for 2014 that involves eating a little less meat but making sure that the meat that I do eat had a snorty blast before it became dinner. Wouldn't mind pig recommendations around the east coast or midlands or recommendations of pig-buying things to avoid.

One of the farms I was looking at invites you to visit your pig. Am *way* too large of a hypocrite to do that, wouldn't be able to cope with bonding with dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Does anyone here every do the 'buy a half a pig' thing? I'm thinking of giving it a whirl under my plan for 2014 that involves eating a little less meat but making sure that the meat that I do eat had a snorty blast before it became dinner. Wouldn't mind pig recommendations around the east coast or midlands or recommendations of pig-buying things to avoid.

One of the farms I was looking at invites you to visit your pig. Am *way* too large of a hypocrite to do that, wouldn't be able to cope with bonding with dinner

I vaguely remember somebody on here saying they did, possibly the beer revolu. It's something I'm looking at doing myself, the quality of most of the pork available in Supermarkets and butchers near me is shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I wonder, is there any way to make mince pies without a muffin tray?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Sure, cut out a disc of pastry. Place mincemeat on top of it, glaze around the edges to stick another disc on top of it.

Like these:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Make them with Filo pastry and make small parcels like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaRQEi-JFY7POoPoLz5yjYizOWj79y9KkNUllyHluxqJ1u7DQcHg

or roll out your pastry spread on mince meat filling, roll up like a swiss Roll cut into slices and bake, finished ''pies'' will look like a Danish.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO5w-j_0KNO6XsXRoR2fj7VeYFjdv2hifLy4odBX7995rrBQXEjA

or roll out your pastry spread on mince meat filling, roll up like a swiss Roll cut into slices and bake, finished ''pies'' will look like a Danish.

Awesome. :)

Any rough idea of the pastry quantities?

Awesome. :)

Any rough idea of the pastry quantities?

To be honest I just use a sheet of pastry from Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My father's family are all farmers, he always buys half a lamb every year from his brother. Absolutely no comparison with stuff bought in a supermarket. I've no experience of buying half a pig but I'd imagine it's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

i have done it, though I never met the pig... it worked really well for me, it actually came from friends of mine. I have bought pork from Oldfarm before, they deliver in various size boxes. Maybe try one of them first before you go the whole (half) hog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, we often get involved in buying a pig. We get a pig between four. A quarter of a pig is quite manageable in that it will fit easily in the freezer and you don't feel inundated with pork. The difference between well reared free range pork and the stuff that sells as pork in the supermarket cannot be overstated. It is like a completely different meat.
    Also don't underestimate the importance of the butchering. We got our last pig butchered by O' Mahony's in The English Market, Cork and it was so much better than any of the previous pigs that the farmer got butchered for us.

If you can find a source, I'd highly recommend it.

Pork in this country is particularly badly kept. when was the last time you saw a pig outside? There is just no comparison between the factory reared stuff you get in the supermarket and the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Animord wrote: »
    Pork in this country is particularly badly kept. when was the last time you saw a pig outside? There is just no comparison between the factory reared stuff you get in the supermarket and the real thing.

Are there many farms rearing pigs the 'right' way in Ireland? I'm really interested in exploring the non-supermarket pork. I think I've only ever bought the supermarket stuff. Reckon I've only had the proper pork in restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

We got some pork from these people in Clare in the past few weeks and there is no way I'll be eating supermarket pork again! The flavour is incredible. Wouldn't use enough to justify buying and freezing half or even a quarter pig, but it's great to be able to buy small amounts.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burren-Free-Range-Pork/168641696521910

• Advertisement

Are there many farms rearing pigs the 'right' way in Ireland? I'm really interested in exploring the non-supermarket pork. I think I've only ever bought the supermarket stuff. Reckon I've only had the proper pork in restaurants.

I get pork from Oldfarm, who I mentioned above, Gubeen Smokehouse in Cork and just locally from friends who keep pigs. I am sure there are loads of small producers around though - or try farmers' markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We went to Peploes for lunch today. Very nice and service was immaculate but guess what... my prawns weren't deveined!

Is this becoming the pattern of my life?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

My Dad and I decided that we didn't want to eat any more intensively farmed pork/bacon, both due to lack of flavour and the poor quality of life for the pigs.

We encountered Ety Schuurmans at Sheridans cheesemongers food fair in Meath. She rears organic Tamworth pigs and the flavour and quality is absolutely unreal!!

See http://www.millhouseanimalfarm.com/pig-info.php for more details.

You can buy a full or a half pig but she also sells individual cuts at the Leopardstown farmer's market on Fridays and Dundalk market on Saturdays. So you could try some first to see how you like it before committing to a larger order. I think she takes January off after the hectic Christmas rush but she'll be back at the markets in a few weeks.

We ordered a full pig last summer for Christmas. It arrived in early December beautifully butchered and packed to our specifications, delivery included. It's so delicious!! The Christmas ham was fabulous. There is no way I will ever go back to buying regular pork. Plus it is nice to think that your money is going directly to the person that put in the hard work, not to the supermarket chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

P.S. I can totally understand why you might not want to visit your pig but it's commendable of the farmer to give you the option to do so if you wish.

P.S. I can totally understand why you might not want to visit your pig but it's commendable of the farmer to give you the option to do so if you wish.

Definitely. Would be a fabulous option for anyone who didn't have a hypocrite brain when it came to meat and I like the idea that you can see for yourself that the pigs are kept well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

[Turkey Freshness Question Removed]

Really sorry LexieOnRale - we cannot give any sort of food safety advice here, it's too risky. You could get some really poor advice and end up sick so we have to be hard-line on this stuff. Have deleted your question just in case anyone hazarded an answer.

MissFlitworth

Is there anything more annoying than a bag of any dried good that isn't properly sealed spilling on you? I have red lentils AND spaghetti on the floor right now and the spaghetti is taking up roughly a cubic metre, odd considering it was half a packet. Waaaaah. So much picking up to do

(Thanks for all the pig advice everyone! Definitely going to do it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No matter how careful you are about clearing it all up, you'll still find another lentil and a bit of spaghetti next week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you at all can,do,you'll see what your paying for !! Some people do full-time in the field,acess to field,access to out door,in door on straw. And then there is their feed policy!
    Personaly organic pork isn't that important to me, (but the nicest pork I can get is organic)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

My brother gets lamb the same way - direct from the farmer and butchered. I'm pretty sure its organic too, and the flavour is amazing. Well worth it if you have the freezer space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Is there anything more annoying than a bag of any dried good that isn't properly sealed spilling on you? I have red lentils AND spaghetti on the floor right now and the spaghetti is taking up roughly a cubic metre, odd considering it was half a packet. Waaaaah. So much picking up to do

(Thanks for all the pig advice everyone! Definitely going to do it)

And you know what else is super-annoying?

The way that plastic that most rice and frozen veg comes in that seems to want to tear vertically instead of horizontally so unless you're really careful, you end up with a big jagged tear right down the side of the bag.

Argh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Heading out to Ikea..to get some stuff for the kitchen!!!!! God I love Dublin.

Going to fade street social tonight...any recommendations? ?

To be honest I just use a sheet of pastry from Aldi.

Shortcrust?

Grammes :o ?

Shortcrust?

Grammes :o ?

Got the idea from this programme, I've used a sheet of Aldi (or Jus-Rol) shortcrust pastry and it worked out just fine. I really only use this type of programme or even cookbooks as starting points and just run with my own variations. Hope this helps. Joe

• Advertisement

Any idea where I might find polenta?

My local health food shop stocks it. And I'm pretty sure Tesco do a ready-made one in their 'fresh food' selection but I don't think that's what you're after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also Polish shops often sell it labelled as Kukuruzas putraimi.
    I find it coarser than regular polenta (which is a good thing imo, provided you cook it for longer). Cheap as chips too!

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

In the last few days I've discovered that I like English Mustard. Really, really like it.

I'm talking a half inch of the stuff on leftover ham sammiches.

• Advertisement

In the last few days I've discovered that I like English Mustard. Really, really like it.

I'm talking a half inch of the stuff on leftover ham sammiches.

Mustard is the actual best thing on the planet. I carry spare mustard in my handbag in case of mustard-less emergencies.

Mustard is the actual best thing on the planet. I carry spare mustard in my handbag in case of mustard-less emergencies.

Nigella, is that you?

dee_mc wrote: »
    Nigella, is that you?

I think you are confusing mustard with another sort of 'condiment' altogether.

I think you are confusing mustard with another sort of 'condiment' altogether.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/17/nigella-lawson-white-powder-handbag_n_4458120.html
    :P

dee_mc wrote: »

:eek:

It would appear I am, in fact, Nigella!

How shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I caught the norovirus along with Mr.Merkin so we had the most miserable Christmas imaginable :( Only upside is I've neatly avoided putting on the usual half stone of festive weight! Recovering now thankfully and hopefully will be able for the Christmas feast my folks are laying on for us on New Years Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Get well soon Merkin,

We have to get you better for the Christmas/New Year feast!...

GSWxxx :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aww thank you Grey, I do hope so!xx

Merkin wrote: »
    I caught the norovirus along with Mr.Merkin so we had the most miserable Christmas imaginable :( Only upside is I've neatly avoided putting on the usual half stone of festive weight! Recovering now thankfully and hopefully will be able for the Christmas feast my folks are laying on for us on New Years Day!

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon and do it justice next Wed!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Get well soon, Merkin!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement