Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why are chicken burgers always coated in breadcrumbs? Why can't you get a raw meat patty like you would with a beef burger or a lamb burger. I've always wondered this and I reckon it could be very nice.
    Could it be that chicken just wouldn't bind the way red meat does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why are chicken burgers always coated in breadcrumbs? Why can't you get a raw meat patty like you would with a beef burger or a lamb burger. I've always wondered this and I reckon it could be very nice.

Turkey Burgers don't have breadcrumbs so it's not a binding issue. You see turkey mince about but not chicken. Could it be a food hygiene thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You can! Tesco have plain chicken burgers that are raw minced and seasoned chicken, and Aldi have a similar burger which is topped with a sweet chili or a bbq sauce.

I like the tesco ones or the aldi sweet chili ones, don't much like bbq sauce on things :)

Personally I can't stand the horrible breadedy things, they are either spongy inside or like sawdust. It would be really handy if you could get pre-minced chicken leg meat but I've never seen it, only minced breast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

B0jangles wrote: »
    You can! Tesco have plain chicken burgers that are raw minced and seasoned chicken, and Aldi have a similar burger which is topped with a sweet chili or a bbq sauce.

I like the tesco ones or the aldi sweet chili ones, don't much like bbq sauce on things :)

Personally I can't stand the horrible breadedy things, they are either spongy inside or like sawdust. It would be really handy if you could get pre-minced chicken leg meat but I've never seen it, only minced breast.

Yeah! Could butchers do this for us? I'm wary of any prepared mince product.

silverharp wrote: »
    is spaghetti squash available in Dublin? its popped up in a couple of US recipes I'd like to try

I've only seen them in farmers markets in the autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why are chicken burgers always coated in breadcrumbs? Why can't you get a raw meat patty like you would with a beef burger or a lamb burger. I've always wondered this and I reckon it could be very nice. Could it be that chicken just wouldn't bind the way red meat does?

Aldi and Lidl both do uncrumbed raw chicken burgers. Aldi's are better.

On another chicken related topic : yesterday I got a craving for some fried chicken of some sort. I dropped into a chipper and ordered some boneless chicken wings. What I got were chicken nuggets shaped vaguely like chicken wings. WTF?? These are not chicken wings, boneless or not. I couldn't be arsed getting into a row with the disinterested server but how is this legal? Surely you cannot call something a chicken wing if it is not a chicken wing?

After ordering, I spotted the poster. Kepak Boneless Chicken Wings. They're fecking nuggets!

Sounds like they are breaking the Consumer Protections Act 2007 in misleading you about what you were buying.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/unfair_commercial_practices.html

You could write to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commissioner and complain. Details are at the bottom of that link.

However, the best bet would be to just complain to the shop. They should offer to reimburse you. If enough people complain then they will eventually stop selling, what I tell my kids is ‘pure sh1te!’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

WTF?? These are not chicken wings, boneless or not.
    I think it would be extremely rare to find products called "boneless wings" which are made from wings. I have never heard of them.

https://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/06/boneless-wings-are-not-wings-are-they.html

Boneless Wings are Not "Wings"... Are They?
    FASTFOODCRITIC
    In the world of Fast Food, it's become common for companies to sell Chicken Wings, including what they call "Boneless" wings. However, these boneless wings are usually large chunks of Breast meat. So why are they called "Wings" ??

Is this just a complete facade? A case of marketers trying to satisfy the country's craving for all things wing-related?

Perhaps since the wing and breast are located near one another, partially connected, they can call breast-meat wing-meat, and vice-versa?

Seriously, what's going on with this?

The "Boneless Wings" do not appear to be Wings at all. They are large chunks of breast meat. In fact, wouldn't it seem to be a Downgrade, by referring to Breast meat as Wing?

Wing madness, I tell you!

The other one is goujons, some are made from mini fillets, but some expect this term to mean they definitely are. I would not presume goujons to be from whole mini fillets unless it explicitly says so.

I would also not presume "chicken tenders" to be whole meat cuts, which some might.

In the chipper I usually go for a junior box with a breast piece, in most chippers you can upgrade to a breast piece for about a euro, even though the box is small they usually cram the chips in to overflowing. Also all those chipper products other than wing, breast, thigh are usually bought in ready made and frozen, so the SFC breading is usually not as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is kosher salt, rock salt? Bought a salmon for smoking and making a rub to extract the moisture out of it.

beertons wrote: »
    Is kosher salt, rock salt? Bought a salmon for smoking and making a rub to extract the moisture out of it.

Yeah, I believe so.

Anyone gone for this yet?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057877419/1/#post107144363

I’ve just put my name forward. Mrs G! will kill me! :eek: :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That's a dead link for me Gloomtastic!

That's a dead link for me Gloomtastic!

Works for me! Here it is again but it’s a thread on the Food forum looking for volunteers to take part in a cooking documentary.....
    I'm looking for people who like to be filmed cooking. I am working on a small documentary series. It introduces people who are cooking one of their favourite dish at their home. The recipe can be simple. Interested people should speak clear English, live somewhere in Ireland and enjoy cooking. The required time is one afternoon. Costs for ingredients are provided by me. Send me a message if you are interested. I can then provide more information in advance.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057877419/1/#post107144363

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Works for me! Here it is again but it’s a thread on the Food forum looking for volunteers to take part in a cooking documentary.....

Are we not in the Food forum???

Very odd, I still get a 404 not found error.

• Advertisement

Ah jeez, have a look for yourselves! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

beertons wrote: »

No, Kosher salt is flakes of sea salt. Rock salt might do the job eventually but won't be as absorbent, also the rock salt will also tear the flesh as you rub it in.
    Been there done that.

I have also used cheapo table salt for curing beef, not so easy to include flavours but the price makes it very easy to lay it on thick and get the moisture out instead of choking on the price of maldon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Thinking of getting a round bottomed wok with the metal ring for underneath so you can use it on a conventional hob.
    Does anyone know if these are compatible with induction hobs? Just wasn't sure if pans needed to be touching the hob as they use an electrical current rather than a heated element.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a round bottomed wok with the metal ring for underneath so you can use it on a conventional hob.
    Does anyone know if these are compatible with induction hobs? Just wasn't sure if pans needed to be touching the hob as they use an electrical current rather than a heated element.

Definitely not compatible.
    Most woks are just slightly flattened on the bottom so they sit flat but are, in essence, round bottomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Definitely not compatible.
    Most woks are just slightly flattened on the bottom so they sit flat but are, in essence, round bottomed.

Really? Bugger! I've never been overly happy with any wok I've had and wanted to try a round bottomed one for the extra bit of heat.

The salmon didn't last a day. I'll have to smoke a net full next time. Think I want to try a butterflyed leg of lamb next.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

Hey, can anyone recommend a good brand of kimchi to buy? I am planning to go to Asian shop later to try and get some. I’m cooking bo ssam, didn’t bother with kimchi last time I made it but am thinking maybe it’s important to the dish.

Bassfish wrote: »
    There are stand things you can get, but they cost a lot and I doubt they work that well. It does need to be in contact so I reckon with the stand there is little contact.

I got myself a flat bottom salter brand wok in tk maxx. It is seasoned carbon steel, -i.e. there is no nonstick coating on it. I think it is the first time I saw one. Any with flat bottoms usually have a non stick coating.

Cooking in woks is meant to be done at really high temps, so no nonstick coating is ever going to last.

I have yet to use it, gets good reviews on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-BW04196-Life-Carbon-Steel/dp/B013G96A96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528134936&sr=8-2&keywords=wok+salter+pan+for+life

note 26% give it 1 star, and many 5 star reviews rightly reckon they did not season it correctly, if at all. Many 5 stars have had pans requiring seasoning and say this one is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

rubadub wrote: »
    There are stand things you can get, but they cost a lot and I doubt they work that well. It does need to be in contact so I reckon with the stand there is little contact.

I got myself a flat bottom salter brand wok in tk maxx. It is seasoned carbon steel, -i.e. there is no nonstick coating on it. I think it is the first time I saw one. Any with flat bottoms usually have a non stick coating.

Cooking in woks is meant to be done at really high temps, so no nonstick coating is ever going to last.

I have yet to use it, gets good reviews on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-BW04196-Life-Carbon-Steel/dp/B013G96A96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528134936&sr=8-2&keywords=wok+salter+pan+for+life

I might give that one a try, I'm currently having a flat bottomed London wok (induction) but after the first use the bottom slightly distorted and isn't fully flat now, bummer. Thinking of replacing it, because I'm a heavy wok user.
    I originally wanted to invest in the Lotus wok since I've heard a lot of great things about it but that is just the fraction of the price!

LirW wrote: »
    I might give that one a try,
    I am seasoning mine right now.

It is very thin steel so I hope it does not warp, I wondered if very slight warping matters with induction hobs, if close enough it might be ok. I had ones warp before, cheapo free ones with uncle bens. I stupidly put cold water in one while still hot which did one of them in.

That amazon sellers only sells to the UK,

It works out EUR 17,64 at checkout using my parcel motel account. So there would be another ~4euro using any of the main reshipping sites.

Mine was 23euro in tkmaxx, only 1 there.

25 in homestore and more https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/frying-pans/salter-black-wok-for-life-28cm/070194.html

38euro in argos!

LirW wrote: »
    after the first use the bottom slightly distorted and isn't fully flat now, bummer.
    Mine also ended up warping!, when hot, then it flatted itself perfectly again when cold...

It warped while seasoning and when cooking in it. So it might not be good on induction. I suppose a test is to fill with water and heat on induction and see where bubbles come from, BUT if water is in it then it is not getting to a high temperature so might not warp.

One with a narrower diameter flat bottom is probably less likely to warp, or thicker.

Mine worked great as a wok, nothing stuck to it in the slightest and stuff was going in while it was roaring how without too much oil, as as it is so light I could easily shake stuff about in it.

Has anyone done much with pomegranate Molasses?

Saw a nice recipe but forgot to buy it in town today.

Is it worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Im saddened to read about Mrytle Allen.
    What a wonderful talented woman. She was the first Irish woman to have a Michelin star and she retained it for five years. She really excelled at promoting Irish food.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone done much with pomegranate Molasses?

Saw a nice recipe but forgot to buy it in town today.

Is it worth buying?

It's nice with fried/griddled halloumi. I bought a little bottle of it recently after seeing it in a lot of middle eastern style recipes. It's also good for using in salad dressings or drizzling over roast vegetables. I know you can use it with meat too but I've yet to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would anyone know the brand name of whats called sweet pickle relish? Im doing a recipe for a Big Mac sauce clone and it calls for this ingredient. Yesterday I bought a product called Branston Original Pickle thinking that would do the trick. Having just made the sauce now and tasted it is definitely not the right ingredient for this recipe.
    https://topsecretrecipes.com/mcdonalds-special-sauce-big-mac-sauce-copycat-recipe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would anyone know the brand name of whats called sweet pickle relish? Im doing a recipe for a Big Mac sauce clone and it calls for this ingredient. Yesterday I bought a product called Branston Original Pickle thinking that would do the trick. Having just made the sauce now and tasted it is definitely not the right ingredient for this recipe.
    https://topsecretrecipes.com/mcdonalds-special-sauce-big-mac-sauce-copycat-recipe.html

I believe, from looking at the pic of the sweet pickle relish that it is in fact grated gherkin relish.
    A pickle in US is usually a gherkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The brand they have linked is Vlasic and the ingredients are listed, but if you do a basic half vinegar/brine with a bit of sugar you'll be near there I reckon

Would anyone know the brand name of whats called sweet pickle relish? https://topsecretrecipes.com/mcdonalds-special-sauce-big-mac-sauce-copycat-recipe.html
    Big Mac sauce was actually on sale in Canada for a while in shops, the ingredients can be found online, and can be found on the mcdonalds websites.

In your link it has a link to sweet pickle relish. If I am in doubt I check walmart online and search for items and check ingredients.

e.g.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Del-Monte-Sweet-Pickle-Relish-12-0-FL-OZ/10824446
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vlasic-Squeezable-Homestyle-Relish-Sweet-Relish-9-0-OZ/10308930

wiki can help too but I like to see what is in actual shops in the US
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber#Etymology
    Etymology
    The term pickle is derived from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine.[26] In the United States and Canada, the word pickle alone almost always refers to a pickled cucumber (other types of pickles will be described as "pickled onion", "pickled beets", etc.). In the UK pickle generally refers to ploughman's pickle made from various vegetables, such as Branston pickle, traditionally served with a ploughman's lunch.

Your branston stuff has other veg in it. I make my own burger sauce, and do like big mac sauce and would recommend just getting pickled gherkins, draining them and liquidising them. I prefer the ones with dill.

Your copycat recipe has no tomato listed (I was wrong see edit at the bottom), which is correct there is no tomato in it. I do like ketchup on big macs though and usually add it to my ones. There is enough sugar in ketchup that I do not bother adding sugar even though that sweet pickle stuff would be loaded with it.

I also often liquidise in pickled onions with gherkins too (rather than raw onions, I figure the pickled ones will keep longer). This can be kept in a jar on its own, and use it to add to other small jars to make test recipes.

You're linked recipe.
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons French dressing
    4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
    1 tablespoon finely minced white onion
    1 teaspoon white vinegar
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

has no mustard or garlic in it (though the other ingredients might have some). The big mac sauce has garlic powder and I would recommend that over fresh garlic or garlic paste. It is low on the ingredients list, which is listed in order of greatest first.

I think this one was the limited edition one sold for charity
    04_20150202_2903%2BMcDonald's%2BBig%2BMac%2BSpecial%2BSauce%2Bproduct%2Bsample%2Bfrom%2BLaura%2BCario%2B-%2BMango%2BCommunications.jpg

and this is the one in canada
    i1yrxbl177pglqqbvxpt.jpg

this is US
    https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/big-mac.html
    BIG MAC SAUCE

Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, Onion Powder, Spices, Salt, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat), Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).

My current mix is liquidised dill gherkins & pickled onions, ketchup, frenchs mustard, garlic powder, onion powder. I will sometimes mix it with mayo on the bun, but do not add mayo to my mixtures as I think it is will not last as long.

also

EDIT: just looking up french dressing and it the US do have a different idea of it than us. 5 are listed on tesco, and none of them have tomato in them.

While the US ones do, the one linked from the recipe does. So it is not really a good copycat at all. I have looked at many sites about copycat big mac sauces and its the number one rule to strike one off the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_dressing
    French dressing is a term originally used for any oil-and-vinegar-based salad dressing.[1] Today, it refers to a creamy ketchup-based dressing which varies in color from pale orange to bright red. It can be made by blending olive oil, vinegar, tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar, paprika, and salt.

most if not all the ones on walmart appear to be red, presumably from tomato. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=french%20dressing&cat_id=0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had trouble finding it too, but this is the one I eventually got. It's Latvian but they had it in the Polish section of the local supermarket (JC's in Swords, Co. Dublin).
    IMG_4499.jpg

I had trouble finding it too, but this is the one I eventually got.

That one has mustard and onion already, so you might want to adjust the recipe.

https://nuko.lv/spilva-salati-gurku-sinepju-390g.html
    Salad from chopped fresh vegetables with added mustard and spices. It is recommended to use hot breads and will be a great addition to different types of second courses. Ingredients Cucumber 40%, SINEPES 20% (SEEDS seeds, water, sugar, vinegar), onions, pepper salt, modified maize starch, spices, flavors, preservatives (potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate), acidity regulator (citric acid), antioxidant (ascorbic acid ), colorants (beta-carotene, riboflavin).

The "SINEPES" is mustard.

A lot of people who claim to hate gherkins really just hate the texture of the slices. They will pick them off in disgust in mcdonalds or BK, but most know you can ask for the burger without them -which actually ensures you get a freshly made one too. But I guess most like the lingering taste.

Any germans around?

You might be interested to hear that the huge sack of peanut flipps is back in Lidl next week (as part of American foods week, obviously!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Any germans around?

You might be interested to hear that the huge sack of peanut flipps is back in Lidl next week (as part of American foods week, obviously!)

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!!!

*starts looking through the house for possible places to hide these from husband*

Shenshen wrote: »
    YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!!!

*starts looking through the house for possible places to hide these from husband*

XlPeDTH.png

:D

• Advertisement

Tesco sell these frozen chargrilled Mediterannean vegetables that are really handy.

Couldn't sleep, so I just made some for a snack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody use those Quinoa pouches that Aldi do? They're already cooked so a quick blast in the popty-ping and they're good to go. Adding finely diced veg like a pepper or some green beans gives it a nice bite, and I find adding lemon juice or red wine/cider vinegar really lifts it.

I've been having them a lot with a choice of meat (mainly fish) and some salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody use those Quinoa pouches that Aldi do? They're already cooked so a quick blast in the popty-ping and they're good to go. Adding finely diced veg like a pepper or some green beans gives it a nice bite, and I find adding lemon juice or red wine/cider vinegar really lifts it.

Yes, been using them a lot recently.

With no school, creche and both of us off today, decided to have a bbq for lunch. Chicken fillets and ribs, all chopped up and put into mini wraps, served with spinach and sour cream. Didn't feel so bad when Sun bathing after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I am so jealous of everybody who has a BBQ/outside area. We recently moved into an apartment and I am really feeling the loss of a garden with all this great weather..

Me sitting on the grass in the local childrens park isnt ideal!!

Cheap cherries are back in Tesco! - A euro for a 250g punnet, so 4 euro/kg which is a heck of a lot less that the 12-16 euro/kg they are elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BaZmO* wrote: »

I use them a lot for a quick dinner. Mix with some chopped asparagus or broccoli, add meat or prawns, flavour and off you go. Super quick and they actually taste really good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cheap cherries are back in Tesco! - A euro for a 250g punnet, so 4 euro/kg which is a heck of a lot less that the 12-16 euro/kg they are elsewhere.

Lovely! I had a kilo of strawberries for E6 at our local Supervalu recently. They were excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ikg Nutella on special in Lidl for 4.99=)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Got diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week, it’s going to be a pretty steep learning curve, but i’m Using a diet app to keep track of carbs and my diet’s not generally too heavy on sugar anyway. Still sucks; I keep looking at all the biscuits in shops and sighing. I wouldn’t have bought them anyway, but now I can’t have them I miss them.

Livid about the loss of Jambons for lunch, though.

kylith wrote: »
    Got diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week, it’s going to be a pretty steep learning curve, but i’m Using a diet app to keep track of carbs and my diet’s not generally too heavy on sugar anyway. Still sucks; I keep looking at all the biscuits in shops and sighing. I wouldn’t have bought them anyway, but now I can’t have them I miss them.

Livid about the loss of Jambons for lunch, though.

I know your pain. Week 12 of GD here but baby due to arrive any day so the end is in sight! Stick with it - I hear it's worth it. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement