Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You'll have to keep the button pressed until they explode or burn, though, or you'll have to squash them, otherwise it only stuns them. I speak from experience. Ditto for mosquitoes and flies. And if you touch the metal grid, you'd get a fairly sharp snap yourself (I also speak from experience :o).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had them once before, when we lived in Vancouver. I didn’t know what they were then either. I just thought it was a coincidence that little moths kept appearing on the door of a certain cupboard!

Both times we had an open bag of cornmeal, which I think may be very attractive to them. I’m surprised they could eat the popcorn kernels, but it’s corn again I suppose.
    New Home wrote: »
    You can get sticky pheromones traps for them, too, but I found that the best way to contain them is to put everything (including flour, pasta, rice, biscuits, chocolate, breakfast cereal, raisins, dry pet food, etc) is sealed glass jars (those with a rubber seal are the best). If the foodstuff is already contaminated by eggs, then the infestation will be contained by the glass jar, and it will stop them from spreading to the rest of the food.

Yep, we’re off to buy a lot more kilner jars soon!
    You'll have to keep the button pressed until they explode or burn, though, or you'll have to squash them, otherwise it only stuns them. I speak from experience. Ditto for mosquitoes and flies. And if you touch the metal grid, you'd get a fairly sharp snap yourself (I also speak from experience :o).

We have one of those tennis rackets but these moths would be quite small and not worth the effort. They’re very easy to squash. But my hubby has revealed quite a sadistic side to himself with flies - he’s getting great enjoyment from keeping that button pressed!

(The gobshyte also zapped himself on purpose “to see what it felt like” :D)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Faith wrote: »
    We have one of those tennis rackets but these moths would be quite small and not worth the effort. They’re very easy to squash.

I find they fly around the place from 3PM onwards until the morning, and especially so if the room is dark, and they tend to land somewhere as soon as you turn on the light.

But my hubby has revealed quite a sadistic side to himself with flies - he’s getting great enjoyment from keeping that button pressed!

(The gobshyte also zapped himself on purpose “to see what it felt like” :D)

:rolleyes::D Kids, eh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You can get sticky pheromones traps for them, too, but I found that the best way to contain them is to put everything (including flour, pasta, rice, biscuits, chocolate, breakfast cereal, raisins, dry pet food, etc) is sealed glass jars (those with a rubber seal are the best). If the foodstuff is already contaminated by eggs, then the infestation will be contained by the glass jar, and it will stop them from spreading to the rest of the food. But, if you think the moths are bad, wait until you come across tiny, tiny beetles... They're the size of a pin head, and they get absolutely everywhere. Both moths and "beetles" thrive in temperatures of 25°C and 75% humidity, so the hot summer definitely didn't help.

I now have to throw out all my food :/

Nah, just cook it, if it seems clear:

1. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    and
    2. Extra proteins for freeeeeeeee!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nah, just cook it, if it seems clear:

1. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    and
    2. Extra proteins for freeeeeeeee!!!!

:D

Please do not consider this as food safety advice! :)

The other thing that is NOT recommended AT ALL, unless you want your kitchen to explode, is to microwave dry flour (in particular) or other cereals (more generally) on their own. Always add water/another liquid first, and stir very well.

Please do not consider this as food safety advice! :)

Awh, party pooper! :D

The other thing that is NOT recommended AT ALL, unless you want your kitchen to explode, is to microwave dry flour (in particular) or other cereals (more generally) on their own. Always add water/another liquid first, and stir very well.

Oh sweet mother, have you been drinking? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No. I'm like this when I'm sober. :)

(I was serious about NOT microwaving flour https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/question150.htm)

Folks, I have a question to ask, and I hope this is the right place (and it doesn't have anything to do with moths or food bugs, I promise!).

I was given lots of organic, sprouted, parboiled jasmine rice. I've never had it before, so I don't have the foggiest idea as to how to cook it best, what it tastes like (I mean, does it have a scent of jasmine, or is it just a name?), etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It’s a big fire hazard in flour production.

“In flour production, cereal grains are industrially processed in large quantities. The whole process, including the grinding process and the transport to silos and storage space, holds a high risk of fire or dust explosion. The byproduct of these processes, combustible dust, is especially explosive
    When producing flour, highly combustible dust is generated. Overheating, caused by frictional heat within mills, as well as sparks, embers or hot particles generated in the plant can ignite dry, flammable and explosive material. This could cause severe damage or lead to undesired changes in taste and impair the quality of the product through contamination.”

Folks, I have a question to ask, and I hope this is the right place (and it doesn't have anything to do with moths or food bugs, I promise!).

I was given lots of organic, sprouted, parboiled jasmine rice. I've never had it before, so I don't have the foggiest idea as to how to cook it best, what it tastes like (I mean, does it have a scent of jasmine, or is it just a name?), etc.

Thanks a million.

Sprouted? Like a bean sprout? If so, then I think the idea is to eat it raw?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sprouted? Like a bean sprout? If so, then I think the idea is to eat it raw?

I thought so, too, but it looks like a normal long-grain rice, it just says sprouted, for some reason.

It's pretty much like this stuff here: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Minvita-Organic-Sprouted-Jasmine-GABA-Rice/265612011

This is what Wikipedia says about a different kind of sprouted rice, but I think the principle is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I was given lots of organic, sprouted, parboiled jasmine rice.

I had it before at Indian restaurants: good (did not particularly taste of jasmine, to me anyway.

I would just boil or steam it, as a side dish to curries or stir fries.

Not very creative, I know :o

Something else that just came to mind is to add it to the mix when you are making meatballs (to replace the breadcrumbs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It’s a big fire hazard in flour production.
    mythbusters fans might remember the "creamer cannon". Same can be done with flour, cornflour here.

Please don't try this at home.

For Daily Planet's 'Greatest Show Ever' on Discovery Channel, teams from across the country competed to create the most dramatic experiments conceivable for television.

Demonstrating how silos can literally explode, 60lbs of cornflour are launched into the air using two propane tanks retrofitted to accept pressurized air. A high-speed, large-gauge solenoid valve allows the air in the tanks to propel the flour out of a "cannon", which used to be an industrial water heater. The fuel passes an ignition on its way out of the "cannon".

Adhering to the principals of the fire triangle, the fuel (flour), ignitor (flame) and oxygen (in the air) combine in perfect ratio to produce a spectacular fireball reaching over 50 feet high. This effect is similar to how a spark from a cigarette can ignite a silo full of dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Can I substitute mascarpone for Philadelphia cream cheese? Baking now, didn't double check inside the packet. It's gone off. Mascarpone is sealed. Making Donal Skehan' s chocolate Guinness cake. The base is in the oven. No time tomorrow to buy some. (Has to be baked tonight and brought to a party in late morning)

Check the mascarpone, if it's still sealed and not out of date by weeks, it should be ok, especially if you bake it - peel off the plastic, if it's still white and smooth and has no signs of mould (and it doesn't taste sour and doesn't smell funny), it's perfectly fine. Philadelphia isn't half as creamy, and contains salt.

Check the mascarpone, if it's still sealed and not out of date by weeks, it should be ok, especially if you bake it - peel off the plastic, if it's still white and smooth and has no signs of mould (and it doesn't taste sour and doesn't smell funny), it's perfectly fine. Philadelphia isn't half as creamy, and contains salt.

Thanks so much

Keep me a slice, please. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's too late now, but does mascarpone have that tangy taste that cream cheese does? Because that's really necessary (IMO) for cutting through the richness of a chocolate Guinness cake. Mascarpone could be too rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's too late now, but does mascarpone have that tangy taste that cream cheese does?

It doesn't really, it's very neutral.

Storm Ali has destroyed the last of my edibles :mad: Most of every plant I had in the garden is blown away, all that's left is a few sticks with leaves on. I hope the neighbours like radishes.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Storm Ali has destroyed the last of my edibles :mad: Most of evrey plant I had in the garden is blown away, all that's left is a few sticks with leaves on. I hope the neighbours like radishes.

:( Really sorry to hear about your poor plants... RIP, DH's veggie garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Can i store apples in syrup in jars? Already have about 200 unbruised in paper but after last night i've another heap on the ground. Wondering if i cored & sliced, could I jar them for storage?

You might as well make jam with them, while you're at it, it won't take long and it's deeeeelicious.

(You could, to answer your question, but you'd have to make sure they're cooked, when you boil the jars)

You might as well make jam with them, while you're at it, it won't take long and it's deeeeelicious.

(You could, to answer your question, but you'd have to make sure they're cooked, when you boil the jars)

Yea, am making jam with the little jars. But I have big jars from LIDL, the red cabbage ones, which are too big for jam. So if I stored apples in slices or quarters, I could use them for apple tarts as I prefer slices in my tarts instead of mushy apple iykwim.:)

Do you have a chest freezer? ;)

Do you have a chest freezer? ;)

It's nearly full of courgettes!! :D Half full anyway! Can i freeze apples?

Yes, you can. :) Pre-slice them, put them flat on a tray making sure they don't overlap, and stick them in bags once they're frozen.

But back to your question, the tricky part is making sure they actually keep their shape when they cook (as opposed to go mushy), so maybe what you were saying, slicing them, covering them with syrup and then boiling the jars sounds like the best way to do that. Maybe try with one small jar first and see how they turn out. I made them by accident years ago when I was trying to make jam but the slices didn't dissolve - and whenever I tried to replicate that, I always got jam instead. Go figure!

But, like I was saying, make sure they're cooked through, or the water inside them may make them go mouldy.

Yes, you can. :) Pre-slice them, put them flat on a tray making sure they don't overlap, and stick them in bags once they're frozen.

But back to your question, the tricky part is making sure they actually keep their shape when they cook (as opposed to go mushy), so maybe what you were saying, slicing them, covering them with syrup and then boiling the jars sounds like the best way to do that. Maybe try with one small jar first and see how they turn out. I made them by accident years ago when I was trying to make jam but the slices didn't dissolve - and whenever I tried to replicate that, I always got jam instead. Go figure!

But, like I was saying, make sure they're cooked through, or the water inside them may make them go mouldy.

I'll give it a shot with a few different ways, chunks/slices etc & see how they turn out. If nothing else, i'll find out what doesn't work :D

• Advertisement

And eating the "mistakes" won't be a bad thing, either. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yea, am making jam with the little jars. But I have big jars from LIDL, the red cabbage ones, which are too big for jam. So if I stored apples in slices or quarters, I could use them for apple tarts as I prefer slices in my tarts instead of mushy apple iykwim.:)

I wonder if you could make apple liqueur? I usually make it with plums, but we've had none this year.

Here's a recipe : https://www.epicurus.com/beverages/homemade-apple-liqueur-meilach/880/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Or just make cider or apple wine.

Or you could dry them in the oven and make chips. :)

Not sure about the liqueur or wine, bit fiddly for me, but as I've a range here, might try drying some. I do like dried apple, though making my own will be a first. Might give some juicing a go too, though will have to be the old fashioned way via grating :D

You could sprinkle them with cinnamon or nutmeg before sticking them in the oven. You can also get juice by boiling them, of course. :)

When you've done with all your experimenting, please let me know, and I'll be round to test everything. Ta. :D

You could sprinkle them with cinnamon or nutmeg before sticking them in the oven. You can also get juice by boiling them, of course. :)

When you've done with all your experimenting, please let me know, and I'll be round to test everything. Ta. :D

I'm off to Estonia on Saturday so be here either friday or next weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Bit late in the season I know, but I don't suppose anyone might have a couple of Kg of Damson's left over that they don't want. The tree I used to get them from in my mothers was damaged in a storm a few years ago and hasn't really recovered. I only got 1/2 Kg off it and I have a hankering to make a few pounds of jam. Wicklow/Carlow/Wexford area if anyone has any left they won't be using.

TIA Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't know if it's any help but Lidl are selling them for about 1.69/kg, or they were up to a few days ago anyway :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

B0jangles wrote: »
    I don't know if it's any help but Lidl are selling them for about 1.69/kg, or they were up to a few days ago anyway :) .

I'll check them out, cheers :)

I think there was some site you could enter ingredients you have and it would search and give a list of possible recipes.

Does anybody know of a good one. Preferably one where you could filter and e.g. say I only have

yeast,
    self raising flour
    milk
    yogurt
    sugar
    salt
    butter
    water

and then you could click on "breads" and it would spit out options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »

can't remember if its the one I saw beofre, but that it looks good, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My most hated TV "chef" in Ireland doing stupid stuff yet again. I mean this is basic stuff. Imagine buying a lobster and doing below

https://twitter.com/PaulTreyvaud/status/1045241693396783104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Still suffering with a horrible cough and cold, so I decided to have chicken soup for lunch. I can't decide between hearty and creamy to give me the calories to fight it or asian style with ridiculous amounts of garlic and ginger to try to blast my airways clear. Both appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I need a bit of inspo, guys. Have a load of diced chicken fillet that has to be cooked tonight or it'll end up in the bin. I had planned to do a curry with it but was up most of the night being violently ill so a curry probably isn't the best idea anymore. Anyone any suggestions for something hearty but relatively inoffensive I could do with it? Not soup, cause the only chicken soup I like is noodle broth absolutely laced with fresh chillies :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Chicken and mushroom pie? Pasta bake?

I would combine the two suggestions above.
    Chicken and mushrooms cooked together with cream, dash of white wine, fresh parsley. Served with pasta, more parsley, garlic bread on the side with a glass of white wine.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I need a bit of inspo, guys. Have a load of diced chicken fillet that has to be cooked tonight or it'll end up in the bin. I had planned to do a curry with it but was up most of the night being violently ill so a curry probably isn't the best idea anymore. Anyone any suggestions for something hearty but relatively inoffensive I could do with it? Not soup, cause the only chicken soup I like is noodle broth absolutely laced with fresh chillies :D

Thanks!

Risotto?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement