Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love roast dinners this time of the year because Queens are in season & they make the most wonderfully fluffy roast spuds.

That said, we'll probably have a roast dinner embargo from now on so as to make a certain late December dinner that bit more special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Queens are good roasters? That I did not know. Must give them a whirl so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you were to choose, which would you say are the fluffies, "flouriest" potatoes (as opposed to the waxy ones)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Parboiled, drained & then given a good shape in the pot to roughen them up - they are lovely & floury. A splash of oil & they crisp up lovely. I do them at 200C (fan) for 45 mins or so & just turn them once.

Parboiled, drained & then given a good shape in the pot to roughen them up - they are lovely & floury. A splash of oil & they crisp up lovely. I do them at 200C (fan) for 45 mins or so & just turn them once.

Yeah I always do them that way but I use Roosters or Maris Pipers. Never used Queens though. Must give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

New Home wrote: »
    If you were to choose, which would you say are the fluffies, "flouriest" potatoes (as opposed to the waxy ones)?

Golden wonders are probably the flouriest potato out there.
    Don't even try boiling them unless you like potato soup. You'll just about get away with steaming them.
    They do make a really good baked spud - obscene amounts of butter required.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was going to make gnocchi, they need very floury potatoes (the flouriest, the better). Ideally, the spuds should be old, too, but they need do need to be boiled and then riced before adding flour, eggs and salt (nutmeg optional). Would Golden Wonders be suitable, do you think?

I was going to make gnocchi, they need very floury potatoes (the flouriest, the better). Ideally, the spuds should be old, too, but they need do need to be boiled and then riced before adding flour, eggs and salt (nutmeg optional). Would Golden Wonders be suitable, do you think?

Yes but steam them rather than boiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gnocchi is one of those things best made when you already have the potato left over from making potato skins or the like. It's a bit of a rigmarole otherwise. Imo, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have someone coming to dinner next week who can’t eat onions. Any suggestions for a posh-ish meal?

• Advertisement

Make crêpes, and use them to make little parcels filled with spinach, ricotta (drained very well), nutmeg, lots of grated parmesan, salt and pepper to taste, then cover them with white sauce, sprinkle lots of grated parmesan on top and stick the lot in the oven to grill. If you don't like spinach, you can make a filling with gorgonzola dolce (not the piccante kind) melted in white sauce, and some finely chopped walnuts. Then grill as for the other version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

These English know how to do a roast. The gravy and yorkshire being standouts. They don't pile it on like back home and there isn't that much meat but it's amazing. Cauliflower cheese another highlight.

They also love their gravy

DrJ9x6iXQAAxKvX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

RasTa wrote: »
    These English know how to do a roast. The gravy and yorkshire being standouts. They don't pile it on like back home and there isn't that much meat but it's amazing. Cauliflower cheese another highlight.

They also love their gravy

I've never had a Yorkshire pudding that wasn't greasy, bland and horrible. I feel like I'm missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've never had a Yorkshire pudding that wasn't greasy, bland and horrible. I feel like I'm missing out.

A good Yorkshire Pudding is food from the Gods. Try this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I want to try making a risotto this weekend. Say a recipe has 1.2l stock for 300g risotto rice for 4 portions, should I stick to that ratio for 75g rice (0.3l stock)? I know you add the stock in stages anyway until it's done, but I have no idea how to know when it's done so I'd like at least a guideline on how much stock should be added as I'll only be making it for myself.

Alternatively, how well does risotto keep in the fridge for the next day or what would be the best way to reheat it? Or is it better just making it afresh each day?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Penn wrote: »
    ...I have no idea how to know when it's done...

When it's no longer al dente.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, stick to the same ratio.

As for making the full amount and keeping it in the fridge, no, it tends to go a bit solid, but not to worry, the Italians have already thought of that, Google recipes for Arancini :D

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, stick to the same ratio.

As for making the full amount and keeping it in the fridge, no, it tends to go a bit solid, but not to worry, the Italians have already thought of that, Google recipes for Arancini :D

Ha, it was actually a recipe I was looking at for arancini that had risotto in it and I thought "Better learn how to make that first"

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ha, it was actually a recipe I was looking at for arancini that had risotto in it and I thought "Better learn how to make that first"

If you're making arancini, definitely make the risotto the day before and keep it in the fridge.

Also, definitely make arancini.

Also, when you make arancini, can I have some?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Get a good stock... Its what makes the dish... Have extra to what the recipe says and have it hot... (And if you are using bouillon or stock cubes mind the seasoning, you don't want to kill it with salt)..
    And plenty of decent parmesan too..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

I want to try making a risotto this weekend. Say a recipe has 1.2l stock for 300g risotto rice for 4 portions, should I stick to that ratio for 75g rice (0.3l stock)? I know you add the stock in stages anyway until it's done, but I have no idea how to know when it's done so I'd like at least a guideline on how much stock should be added as I'll only be making it for myself.

Alternatively, how well does risotto keep in the fridge for the next day or what would be the best way to reheat it? Or is it better just making it afresh each day?

1. It depends a lot on the rice.
    2. It's ready after 20 minutes, but taste it to be sure.
    3. It's only ok reheated, it's one of those foods that should be made right before you eat it. Leftover risotto, though, can be used to make other things, like arancini.

If you like, I can PM you the procedure, I've made it millions of times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Or... Forget the fap and go to a decent Italian restaurant ;)

... If you can find one.

I tried U Liotru in Galway for these arancini things, but I found them bland and dry. Coffee wasn't great either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I never heard of arancini before. Did a google, need to make these on Saturday. With a few suprises inside

beertons wrote: »
    I never heard of arancini before. Did a google, need to make these on Saturday. With a few suprises inside

Black pudding would be a nice surprise!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Black pudding would be a nice surprise!

Oh baby.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I tried U Liotru in Galway for these arancini things, but I found them bland and dry. Coffee wasn't great either.

If you make them properly, they're heavenly.

1. It depends a lot on the rice.
    2. It's ready after 20 minutes, but taste it to be sure.
    3. It's only ok reheated, it's one of those foods that should be made right before you eat it. Leftover risotto, though, can be used to make other things, like arancini.

If you like, I can PM you the procedure, I've made it millions of times.

Yeah I was looking at a few of the BBC Good Food recipes, but any tips or advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks. I've never had risotto before so I'm just not 100% on how I'll know when it's done, or how it's supposed to taste. All I know about risotto is nobody can cook it right on Gordon Ramsey's Hells Kitchen, yet it's always on the menu.

Give me a sec, I'll dig it out. It'll be a long PM, but it's very detailed, so you can't go wrong. :)

Did you want to make it plain, or did you want to add something to it?

• Advertisement

Give me a sec, I'll dig it out. It'll be a long PM, but it's very detailed, so you can't go wrong. :)

Did you want to make it plain, or did you want to add something to it?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/prawn-fennel-rocket-risotto?utm_source=app

This is the one I was going to try. Seems fairly straightforward to start off with anyway. Don't go to too much trouble if the pm is too long. Like most things I try cooking, by the third time trying it I should be able to get it right enough. Learn by doing.

I sent it to someone else before, so it'll be a copy and paste job. :)

BTW, that recipe wouldn't really be suitable for arancini.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Penn wrote:
    Yeah I was looking at a few of the BBC Good Food recipes, but any tips or advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks. I've never had risotto before so I'm just not 100% on how I'll know when it's done, or how it's supposed to taste. All I know about risotto is nobody can cook it right on Gordon Ramsey's Hells Kitchen, yet it's always on the menu.

I have made risotto very successfully with a pressure cooker ( if u have 1?)

There is a website called hippressure which has a recipe for 7 minute risotto which is flawless.
    My phone won't allow me to post links otherwise I would put the link here for u.

I sent it to someone else before, so it'll be a copy and paste job. :)

BTW, that recipe wouldn't really be suitable for arancini.

No that's fine, it'll be a while before I try the arancini anyway. I'll focus on a few variants of risotto first anyway.

kimokanto wrote: »
    I have made risotto very successfully with a pressure cooker ( if u have 1?)

There is a website called hippressure which has a recipe for 7 minute risotto which is flawless.
    My phone won't allow me to post links otherwise I would put the link here for u.

Nah, don't have a pressure cooker. Cheers anyway

No that's fine, it'll be a while before I try the arancini anyway. I'll focus on a few variants of risotto first anyway.

PM sent. :)

• Advertisement

Thinking about it, the only snag I can think of with making it in really small quantities, say a single serving, is that you might need to be careful not to use too big a pan. I suspect with too large a surface area, the stock would evaporate too quickly before it's absorbed properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I love arancini, but I've never made them, mainly because I've no fryer. I've contemplated doing them in a big pot, but what do I do with the oil afterwards! Would be too wasteful.
    Actually, watched a bonappetite recipe yesterday on them and the woman added cream to the risotto to help with the moisture.

It's be like adding cream to porridge to keep it more moist... delicious, but a big cheat, and not the original recipe, now, is it... ;)

As for arancini (and anything deep fried), the oil can be used twice, max, provided it hasn't reached its smoking point and it's not full of "debris", regardless of whether it's in a fryer or a pan*, then it should be brought to a recycling centre, where they have collection points for it.

*Not sure if the underlined part qualifies as common knowledge or as food safety advice - if it's the latter, Mods, my apologies, please remove.

Maldesu wrote: »
    I love arancini, but I've never made them, mainly because I've no fryer. I've contemplated doing them in a big pot, but what do I do with the oil afterwards! Would be too wasteful.
    It might be considered sacrilege to Italians, but I shallow fry mine. That means they can't be your typical Arancini shape, and you have to make them as smaller pattie shapes instead. They taste just the same though, to me at least!

Alun wrote: »
    Thinking about it, the only snag I can think of with making it in really small quantities, say a single serving, is that you might need to be careful not to use too big a pan. I suspect with too large a surface area, the stock would evaporate too quickly before it's absorbed properly.

For one or two portions (80g of dry rice each), an 18-20cm diametre casserole would do very well. Don't forget that you can always add boiling liquid until the rice is cooked, the quantity of stock is an indication only.

• Advertisement

Maldesu wrote: »
    Actually, watched a bonappetite recipe yesterday on them and the woman added cream to the risotto to help with the moisture.
    Just wait for the oil to cool down and pour it back into the bottle from whence it came. I do it all the time. I don't have a deep fat fryer so on the odd occasion I make the likes of chips or falafel (or anything deep fried) I just use a big pot and keep the oil until next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I'm deep frying I use a wok because you can get enough depth without using as much oil as you would in a pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I'm deep frying I use a wok because you can get enough depth without using as much oil as you would in a pot.

I have a mini deepfat fryer, so needs very little oil. If using a saucepan you can tilt it to one side to get deeper fat. Some things I deep fry for a few seconds and then finish off in the airfryer.

argos have a 1.5L
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7173961/Trail/searchtext%3EDEEP+FAT.htm

mine is 1L

amazon have a tiny .5L one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-5L-Stainless-Steel-Compact-Fryer-x/dp/B014T3VP3O
    51UoSoznliL._SY355_.jpg

Also obviously takes up very little space, small enough to put on your hob and have steam going up the vent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Cheers guys. And that mini fryer is pretty cute, but I've got to be selective about what I bring in cos my kitchen is tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

When making risotto make sure and have plenty of hot simmering stock to hand, more than the recipe says. You keep adding stock till it's done.

It reheats OK in the microwave but wouldn't be as good as when it's made fresh.

A better way to reheat it would be to put the cold cooked risotto in a pan with a ladle or two of hot stock to loosen it back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did a Nisbets order for some random bits that are dear or impossible to find in physical shops - and possibly not in Nisbets own shop in the Ilac even

One was a 12" pizza peel.

My home pizza making has been changed forever. Gone are pizzas that were round going at least sightly wonky as I wobbled them from assembly point to oven, possibly via a too small bread board. Gone is finding a doughy section uncooked in the middle where it folded over itself on the way.

Also bought a spice grinder and a mandoline which will be tried tomorrow for some curry batching.

There is a clear advantage to buying proper equipment even if most people only spend big money on knives and maybe a stand mixer. And my knives are comparatively crap

Always makes sense to me to buy quality and look after it. Especially when you can end up having stuff in the kitchen for decades.

The only thing I’ll never spend loads of money on is non stick pans. Doesn’t matter how expensive they are, they always wear out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought a large straight-sided Rosenthal Thomas nonstick pan in a Tesco coupon offer 6 years ago, it gets absolutely hammered and the non-stick is only peeling around the rivets for the handle so far. Not even a single scrape on the base! Some weeks it would be used for dinner three or four times a week, weekends it could do two dishes.

Other nonstick stuff, pots mostly, from Tefal has been dumped in the same time period; on marked down Brabantia now to see if it's any better.

My circulon pans are going for years now and are not treated kindly.
    Not as non-stick as teflon but waay more durable.

My circulon pans are going for years now and are not treated kindly.
    Not as non-stick as teflon but waay more durable.

Isn't that a character in Futurama?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement