Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Muahahaha wrote: »

Which brings my next question- I don't know anything about pickling but is the liquid they are sitting in essentially preserving their freshness/flavour for a long time? Like how long do you get out of picked food if stored in the fridge before you notice the flavours are off? I'd only be opening it about once a fortnight on nacho night;=)

It will all depend on the storage and exposure. Ideally, the you want the pepper covered in the mixture, but even if its not covered completly, it will last quite some time, especially in a fridge. The main things to watch for is cross contamination (so use a clean fork) and poorly closed lids. Smell is always a good indicator that something is wrong, so if the brine doesn't smell good, get rid. Colour of the brine and pickle is another. The pickle should also have a crunch to it either in the bite or the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maldesu wrote:
    The pickle should also have a crunch to it either in the bite or the cut.

I've never had a crunchy pickled jalapeno in my life, they're always soft. Just in case Muahaha thinks this means they're gone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've never had a crunchy pickled jalapeno in my life, they're always soft. Just in case Muahaha thinks this means they're gone off.

I'm used to pickling cucumbers and beets, but now I think about it you are right about jalapeno's being softer. I suppose what I mean is that the outside skin still have a firmness about it and not be mushy soft overall. If the pickle is disintegrating with under a bit of pressure its likely past or was damaged before pickling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sostrene Grene (sp?) & IKEA are good for cheap little jars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I suppose I could just buy a cheap jam and throw the contents out but I hate throwing food away without a having a good reason :o
    just get food you will eat but might not have ordinarily bought.

e.g. I got baby food jars which were full of pureed fruit. I just mixed it with water and drank it, or mixed with yogurt. The jars are great as they can be stacked and take up less space in the fridge.

Salsa/dip jars are also usually shallow and can be stacked and about 300ml. They are also wide and easy to fill or fish stuff out of. There are plenty of small jars around but usually cost a lot more per kilo than the one you might usually get, however if you factor in the price of the jar you want they are good value.

If I am going to put stuff in a jar I refrigerate it first. e.g. chill a tin of beans so when opened it is cold and transfer to a cold jar. This way any airbourne spores etc that land in it never really get a chance to grow well, and so never get a foothold.

If your pickle juice does not cover all the food then simply add in some more white vinegar on top, better than adding water. I sometimes add in salt to sauces I make too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Chatting with the kids there over dinner, the commented how quick I ate the burger. Half pint suggested I do a 60lb steak challenge in a pub down the road. I laughed. But it's near on impossible, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

beertons wrote: »
    Chatting with the kids there over dinner, the commented how quick I ate the burger. Half pint suggested I do a 60lb steak challenge[/] in a pub down the road. I laughed. But it's near on impossible, right?

Is there such a thing?

That’s 27kg!! That’d be impossible

60oz surely? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It has to be 60oz because 60lb would probably kill you.

Those challenges usually include sides and so on and deliberately put in stuff that is frequently unpopular - the fried breakfast ones basically always include liver for instance - to try ensure people can't do it.

Quick google shows one place that has shrimp salad as the required side - so that'd be me out immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

beertons wrote: »
    Chatting with the kids there over dinner, the commented how quick I ate the burger. Half pint suggested I do a 60lb steak challenge in a pub down the road. I laughed. But it's near on impossible, right?

You can't not do it now you've posted it on here. Everything's possible you know! Don't forget pics :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, think I got that wrong. Ounces it is. And I won't be doing it. I've watched so much man v food, I get the sweats looking at some of them. I'd need to do a bit of training to partake, like try eat half that and see how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Shame. If you change your mind here’s a link to some eating challenges in Dublin.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/eating-challenges-top-dublin-man-10980484.amp

We had a 24’’ pizza from Apache here during the week for 6 teenagers and myself. Can’t imagine trying to finish a 32’’ myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's wild garlic season, yay! Picked some lovely early stuff in Tymon Park yesterday and made pesto this morning. God I love the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's wild garlic season, yay! Picked some lovely early stuff in Tymon Park yesterday and made pesto this morning. God I love the stuff.

Yup, I was looking in the garden last week for herbs for salsa verde and was pleasantly surprised to find wild garlic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not a huge fan of wild garlic, I find it too chivey.

Just saw a recipe for caper-raisin butter on Food 52 and I'm intrigued!

https://food52.com/recipes/80523-foil-packet-scallops-with-caper-raisin-butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, good to hear!
    I need to get out and get me some :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, good to hear!
    I need to get out and get me some :D

Years ago I dug up a clump of it (probably a naughty thing to do) and put it in my garden. It's great to have it to hand. Have some wild leek too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Years ago I dug up a clump of it (probably a naughty thing to do) and put it in my garden. It's great to have it to hand. Have some wild leek too.

That had crossed my mind - I'm just not sure where to put it in the garden. I believe it needs sort of half-shade, with decently draining soil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Have many of you experience with oxtail? I slow cooked some for the first time yesterday for a dish my boyf wanted to try
    Taking it out of the juice I have discovered whole vertebrae(albeit small) in it which surprised me a little! Just wondering if thats a normal sight when cooking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Have many of you experience with oxtail? I slow cooked some for the first time yesterday for a dish my boyf wanted to try
    Taking it out of the juice I have discovered whole vertebrae(albeit small) in it which surprised me a little! Just wondering if thats a normal sight when cooking it

Yes, if you mean the white hard 'knuckle' that the meat is wrapped around? There's quite a bit of waste on oxtail.

Next time you could try using rib steak pieces and a can of oxtail soup (or Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot) in the mix.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I dunno why but i just assumed it was a long bone rather than a load of vertebrae!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Beaten to it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I dunno why but i just assumed it was a long bone rather than a load of vertebrae!

It's a tail, so it's an extension of the spine.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes, if you mean the white hard 'knuckle' that the meat is wrapped around? There's quite a bit of waste on oxtail.

Next time you could try using rib steak pieces and a can of oxtail soup (or Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot) in the mix.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

There's no waste on an oxtail. The bone & cartilage are there to give wonderful flavour. Flavour that a packet of soup certainly won't match imo.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's a tail, so it's an extension of the spine.

I know that. I just thought they might be fused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

There's no waste on an oxtail. The bone & cartilage are there to give wonderful flavour. Flavour that a packet of soup certainly won't match imo.

Absolutely nothing fresh can match or come close to what I could buy in a packet

Oh I love sucking all the meat and sticky collagen from oxtail bones. Ohhh the flavour. Not for everyone.

You could use lean beef and a packet of oxtail soup if you want an oxtail packet soup flavoured beef stew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hot Cup makes the best stock for a stew.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hot Cup makes the best stock for a stew.

Ah, stop trolling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah, snow. I knew there was a reason I bought some extra flour :pac:

(I don't even buy bread anyway, let alone stockpile it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement