Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A pork shoulder is a very tough piece of meat, so you'd definitely need to slow roast it. It's full of fat and connective tissue, which is why it's commonly used for pulled pork. I've never done it in the oven, but I'd reckon you'd want the temperature at about 120 degrees C. What weight is the piece? Someone else might be able to recommend a time to cook it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I have two pieces, each is around 2lbs.

The butcher I got them from is lovely and does great stuffing so I know if I do them right they'll be lovely, but that they're could turn out awful if I'm not careful!

Glad I bought them though, sometimes you need to be brave and try a new cut of meat you've never cooked before.

The same butcher also had pork neck fillet that looked lovely. I didn't buy any this time but if anyone has any nice pork neck recipes or advice on how to cook it, I'm all ears! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I have two pieces, each is around 2lbs.

The butcher I got them from is lovely and does great stuffing so I know if I do them right they'll be lovely, but that they're could turn out awful if I'm not careful!

Glad I bought them though, sometimes you need to be brave and try a new cut of meat you've never cooked before.

The same butcher also had pork neck fillet that looked lovely. I didn't buy any this time but if anyone has any nice pork neck recipes or advice on how to cook it, I'm all ears! :)

I know it's no good to you now, but if I'm ever cooking a piece of meat that I'm not sure about I always ask the butcher I get it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm on my phone so can't search properly but there's a cooking club recipe for carnitas that calls for pork shoulder (iirc) that should have pretty good guidance on cooking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've put a big heap of pork collar (smeared with spices) into the slow cooker this morning before going to work. It's sitting on a mixture of ketchup, rice wine vinegar, garlic, onions and some water. I'm praying to have some perfect pulled pork tonight over large baked potatoes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tarzana, I'd heat my oven up to about 220.
    Id bung the pork in and straight away turn the heat down to about 150 and cook it for about 3 hours, covering it after half an hour with foil anduuncovering it for the last half hour and maybe turning up the heat for the last bit if it looks a bit pasty.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the pieces on top of thick slices of onion or other veg and pouring some beer/wine/cider in the bottom of the tray.

Id bung the pork in and straight away turn the heat down to about 150 and cook it for about 3 hours, covering it after half an hour with foil anduuncovering it for the last half hour and maybe turning up the heat for the last bit if it looks a bit pasty.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the pieces on top of thick slices of onion or other veg and pouring some beer/wine/cider in the bottom of the tray.

Thanks, this is great! I'll report how it turns out. Have some old tatties I can use as a trivet for the meat.

This turned out great. Thanks so much!

No wasted meat - result!

Loire wrote: »
    I've put a big heap of pork collar (smeared with spices) into the slow cooker this morning before going to work. It's sitting on a mixture of ketchup, rice wine vinegar, garlic, onions and some water. I'm praying to have some perfect pulled pork tonight over large baked potatoes :cool:

This was really good :) Have plenty leftover for the kids dinner tonight and my lunch today ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The slow cooked bolognese caught my attention here lately, so I have it going in the slow cooker. Put in a tablespoon of chilli bean paste too, for the extra kick.

The Slow Cookers is easily the most magic invention to hit my kitchen. I use it every week, Cheap as chips to run, cheap as chips to buy. I'm nearly hoping it packs in just so I can go out and buy another one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Slow Cookers is easily the most magic invention to hit my kitchen. I use it every week, Cheap as chips to run, cheap as chips to buy. I'm nearly hoping it packs in just so I can go out and buy another one :p

There's a topic!

What's your favourite kitchen utensil/device?

I think mine is a silicon pastry brush we bought years ago. You can stick it in the dish washer and it comes out new everytime.

My most trusted/well used utensil is the sink basin. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use mine as often, maybe every 3 weeks. We get 3 days of dinner out of it. However if mine was to go, I'd get a bigger one. Might freeze a portion of this to have it as a lazy dinner in a week or 2.

Is it stupid that I'm a wee bit scared to take the plunge and get a slow cooker?! It just seems like a whole new way of cooking that I'm going to have to get used to, or it just goes to waste...

Is it stupid that I'm a wee bit scared to take the plunge and get a slow cooker?! It just seems like a whole new way of cooking that I'm going to have to get used to, or it just goes to waste...

Go for it - it's so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I don't think I can ever get a slow cooker again... I went on about wanting one a few years ago so my husband brought one home one day. It wasn't that long since we had moved in together and I had only started cooking regularly so of course I decided that the best dish to make in it would be.... Chicken fajitas! The chicken fillets dissolved, the peppers turned to slime and the whole thing was even more disgusting than it sounds. Instead of wondering why it was a disaster I just threw out the slow cooker. I've mentioned getting one a few times recently now that I know better but if looks could kill I'd be a goner, husband is not impressed

Myself and my Dad are swapping freezers. Ours is the size of an under-counter fridge with shelves and it's always jammed. He has one of those large chest freezers in the garage that's not used. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Gonna buy lots of soup containers and tupperware boxes and get really organised. Big batch cooking on Sunday afternoons here we come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Took me a while to figure out my slow cooker I have to say-there were quite a few watery flavourless slops made in it before I got the hang of it. Love it now though, work late twice a week so it's brilliant having something ready when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the thing is that you should use a slow cooker for the things it's designed to cook, and not try to view it as a 'one size fits all' cooking appliance. It's all a bit redolent of the microwave craze of the 80's. There were microwave magazines all over the shops extolling their virtues, along with recipes for cooking virtually everything in them, including things that should never, ever see the inside of a microwave. Horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I really want a slow cooker, but there's just 2 of us, and every time I go look at them, I get a bit overwhelmed with the capacity question.
    We could always freeze the leftovers, or get 2 days in a row - but we have been unable to make up our minds on which one to buy; so have bought none.
    The other issue is if you should one with the fast-slow functions - and some of the crockpot ones allow you to brown in it on the hob
    Too many options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I can't be bothered, I have no space in my small kitchen for one anyway!

I can't be bothered, I have no space in my small kitchen for one anyway!

I've a tiny kitchen too. But use a wardrobe for storage of the variety of baking tins, food processor etc. And occasionally used electronics like the steamer and the george foreman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I've a tiny kitchen too. But use a wardrobe for storage of the variety of baking tins, food processor etc. And occasionally used electronics like the steamer and the george foreman!
    We've a pretty large kicthen, but still have an overflow store cupboard in a built-in wardrobe in the spare bedroom :)

Nobody wants to talk about their favourite utensil then? :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Do pans count? I think I have feelings for my ceramic pan. :o

I have a long running affair with Joseph. Anything by Joseph at all, at all, I just love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I love my Kenwood processor like family :P I make alot of chutneys and soups etc and it has helped reduce the number of cuts, grated knuckles and chilli burns I sustain, as well as speeding up chopping so much!
    My microplane came a very close second until I broke it by putting it in the dishwasher several times (pure stupidity as it only takes a little rinse to clean it anyway), must buy myself a new one for Christmas!

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I have a long running affair with Joseph. Anything by Joseph at all, at all, I just love it.

My garlic press snapped in two a few months ago. I'll go for the metal one next time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Are knives utensils? If so my favorite and most used kitchen utensil is always whatever my current knife is. Right now I'm using this

21ST9Z4V7QL.jpg

It's sharp & heavy and feels great in my hand. A one stop chopping & squashing machine.

I can't pick one, I like them all. Even the stuff that I have never used. It's like naming your favourite spice, favourite veg. It's impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Are knives utensils? If so my favorite and most used kitchen utensil is always whatever my current knife is. Right now I'm using this

It's sharp & heavy and feels great in my hand. A one stop chopping & squashing machine.

:eek:

*gulp*

MissFlitworth! I'll never ever annoy you!:eek:

I don't really have a favourite utensil. My skillet perhaps. A one stop pan for frying, throwing under the grill or into the oven. Still working on getting mine non-stick again after mum scrubbed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Kovu wrote: »
    :eek:

*gulp*

MissFlitworth! I'll never ever annoy you!:eek:

Hehe :) Annoy me all you want as long as you never, ever walk quietly up behind me in a kitchen. I'm both easily frightened and a flailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's a toss up between the potato ricer or the silicone tipped tongs.

LOVE both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My wok.
    Good all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to agree with MissF - my cleaver (which I have had for maybe 15 years now - example below) is my most precious piece of kitchen kit.

fei-zuan-dao-ye-chinese-cleaver.jpg

Which reminds me that I need to bring it down to my very obliging butcher in Skerries - Des Byrne - to ask him to sharpen it up for me. What a guy!

I don't really own anything decent in the way of kitchen utensils as I am still renting/house-sharing but I do love the big stainless steel pot my mom gave me (it's probably 20 years old, possibly more) and also my potato ricer.

Can. Not. Wait to have my own kitchen... However far away that is :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I must get a potato ricer actually, my mash is always horrible and lumpy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Potato ricer is my favourite gadget. Makes the best mash. Hate cleaning it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Sentimentality: My great grandmother's roasting dish. I only use it once in a while but it's massive and can even take a goose.
    Practicality: My Kitchen Devil Rollsharp.

21mRnw88BIL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

(what the heck is a potato ricer, I wonder!)

For a long time it's been a hand held blender. Recently I got a copper bottomed pot. I've only used it once or twice. I do just like looking at it hanging in the kitchen tho'!

I also have a sticky rice cooker (and the ton weight transformer) which is handy. Haven't had spuds Irish style for a decade....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tampopo wrote: »
    (what the heck is a potato ricer, I wonder!)

Think over-sized garlic press that makes the lightest, fluffiest mash ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Does corkscrew count 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

My potato masher my mom gave me to bring back to London last Christmas that we've had for well over ten years.

I also purchased a new hand mixer and slow cooker today :)

Oh oh, it seems brisket is the new pulled pork.

Right now I have nothing against that cut of meat. In a few months time I will probably cringe everytime I hear the term.

It will also come to mean the method of cooking it as opposed to the cut of meat that brisket is.

Just watch.

Right now I have nothing against that cut of meat. In a few months time I will probably cringe everytime I hear the term.

It will also come to mean the method of cooking it as opposed to the cut of meat that brisket is.

Just watch.

You should nab it now for the Cooking Club 2015 and you can take all the credit for the latest must-have ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ahem! I got there first with my kalbsbrustschnitte (veal brisket). ;):D

Ahem! I got there first with my kalbsbrustschnitte (veal brisket). ;):D

Sounds fab.

Just watch.

I had the pleasure of having brisket for the first time a few months back - absolutely delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Got a lovely surprise in the post this morning - a bag of fresh sweet paprika from Hungary.
    Think I already know what I'll have for dinner. Mmmmmmm.... chicken paprikash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm supposed to be having this for dinner tonight, however I didn't get it into the slow cooker until after 3pm, so I doubt I will be having it for dinner tonight.

Not sure what I will have instead. Maybe bacon and mushroom pasta.

I've had waaaaaaaaay to much pasta recently, but its so delish! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement