Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm supposed to be having this for dinner tonight, however I didn't get it into the slow cooker until after 3pm, so I doubt I will be having it for dinner tonight.

If it was on High it might be alright (7pm)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    chicken paprikash.

have you a recipe for this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm supposed to be having this for dinner tonight, however I didn't get it into the slow cooker until after 3pm, so I doubt I will be having it for dinner tonight.

Not sure what I will have instead. Maybe bacon and mushroom pasta.

I've had waaaaaaaaay to much pasta recently, but its so delish! :o

I followed this recipe last night but was so disappointed. It was really watery and blah! Even himself that would eat a scabby babby wasn't pushed on it. What did I do wrong I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

have you a recipe for this please?

Sure do. Here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

heldel00 wrote: »
    I followed this recipe last night but was so disappointed. It was really watery and blah! Even himself that would eat a scabby babby wasn't pushed on it. What did I do wrong I wonder?
    I ended up taking it out of the slow cooker, putting it into a big pot, and cooking it slowly for about two hours on the hob, everyone loved it. Even my boyfriend said it was the nicest pasta I'd made in ages, as did mam, and she wouldn't usually be a fan of spag bol.

I use one rich beef stock pot and I mixed up a packet of Knorr Oxtail Soup and some bisto (yes..bisto :o) and let it simmer on a low heat for two hours, and it turned out delicious.

It was really rich and beefy tasting.

I ended up taking it out of the slow cooker, putting it into a big pot, and cooking it slowly for about two hours on the hob, everyone loved it. Even my boyfriend said it was the nicest pasta I'd made in ages, as did mam, and she wouldn't usually be a fan of spag bol.

I use one rich beef stock pot and I mixed up a packet of Knorr Oxtail Soup and some bisto (yes..bisto :o) and let it simmer on a low heat for two hours, and it turned out delicious.

It was really rich and beefy tasting.

Defeats the purpose of slow cooker though. I bought mine two weeks ago and so far porridge is th only nice thing that has come out of it (it really is gorgeous and creamy!) and two roast chickens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Won't be posting on here for a wee while, about to head to the Caribbean for Christmas. Oh and the small matter of getting wedlocked :)

I'll be back in the new year with lots of pics of jerk chicken and colourful cocktails.

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Aw congrats homemadecider! Enjoy the big day and do take a rake of photos of food. A RAKE.

Hiya,

Sorry the recipe didn't work out. I'm wondering did you add too much liquid....the slow cooker won't reduce this like cooking it on a hob would?

Loire.

Won't be posting on here for a wee while, about to head to the Caribbean for Christmas. Oh and the small matter of getting wedlocked :)

I'll be back in the new year with lots of pics of jerk chicken and colourful cocktails.

Congratulations, hope you have an amazing time and enjoy the big day :)

• Advertisement

Have a blast. Doesn't the Caribbean sound good??? :)

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Congratulations homemadecider! Have a lovely time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations! Best wishes for your big day and hope you have a fabulous time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Congratulations, Merry Christmas & very best wishes for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Congrats Homemadecider! Have a Happy Christmas and see you on here in 2015 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Congrats HMC

I feckin love my Prestige skillet. Got it on sale for €25 6 months ago and I'm not afraid to abuse it. Still as good as the day I bought it. Tefal can feck right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I dont want so poison myself so can someone suggest how these are cooked or heated. There is no cooking instructions on the packaging

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261710706

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'd imagine they're already cooked, pork pies like that usually are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I dont want so poison myself so can someone suggest how these are cooked or heated. There is no cooking instructions on the packaging

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261710706

We are aren't allowed to give food safety advice here, but the pork in pork pies is fully cooked and they can be eaten cold. If you want to heat them, I would advise putting them in a pre-heated oven at 180 for 20-30 minutes until piping hot throughout, watching that the crust doesn't burn.

If you microwave them the pastry will be soggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks all. Dont think I would like them cold so its the oven for me.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Pork pies cold are one of the greatest things on this earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pork pies are really greasy and nasty if heated.
    Let them come to room temp and eat them.

They really are not designed to be heated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pork pies are really greasy and nasty if heated.
    Let them come to room temp and eat them.

They really are not designed to be heated.
    Well ...... yes, ...... and no :) Being a Brit I was brought up on these, well actually much nicer versions of the same thing, but anway.

While nice at room temperature, rather than ice cold from the fridge, a 'delicacy' from the north of England is pie and peas, i.e. a warm pork pie served with mushy peas, sometimes also with mint sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Pork pies cold are one of the greatest things on this earth

I'm with you there. My breakfast of choice on morning flights :D

Loire wrote: »
    Hiya,

Sorry the recipe didn't work out. I'm wondering did you add too much liquid....the slow cooker won't reduce this like cooking it on a hob would?

Loire.

Hi Loire,
    I pretty much followed the recipe with the only exception being a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Cooked on low for 7 hours. Maybe ii should use less chopped tomatoes next time?

• Advertisement

Hi Loire,
    I pretty much followed the recipe with the only exception being a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Cooked on low for 7 hours. Maybe ii should use less chopped tomatoes next time?

Yeah, I was thinking about this last night. I use a slotted spoon when serving so maybe perhaps you use a ladle and in doing so, bring too much liquid?

Also, maybe strain the chopped tomatoes next time before adding to the slow cooker?

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Complicated recipe ahead! I found if you put cheese on a cream cracker and microwave it the cheese melts well and the cracker barely gets warm.

Bread can come out horrible if mircrowaved but the crackers must be so dry that they do not absorb much of the microwaves, and the cheese laps it up. Only takes 30seconds or so.

Another trick with microwaves when doing small amounts of food is to put a glass or water in the microwave, or have a bowl of water with a plate on top and your food on the plate. This means all the microwave energy is not going into just that tiny bit of food which can lead to "hot spots" e.g. cheese melting and bubbling like mad in one spot while the rest is solid. Instead a lot of energy will go into the water too.

Most microwaves do not lower their power on defrost, they simply turn on and off in cycles, so even on defrost you can get these hot spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

We were nuking cheese on crackers in the heady mid-90s. Waaaay ahead of our time, we were.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Would anyone have a slow cooked chilli chicken recipe? Free gaff for the weekend, I want something easy.

beertons wrote: »
    Would anyone have a slow cooked chilli chicken recipe? Free gaff for the weekend, I want something easy.

Chicken and Bean Chilli

Ingredients:

4 whole chicken breasts
    1 chicken stock jelly, dissolved in a tablespoon of boiling water
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 red chilli, diced
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    2 cans 3 bean salad, drained and rinsed
    1 can sweetcorn, drained (or equivalent frozen corn)

To season:

Cumin
    Paprika
    Salt and pepper
    Sugar
    Worcestershire sauce
    Tabasco or other hot sauce

To serve: Jalapenos, rice, sour cream, grated cheddar, corn chips

Directions:

Dump everything in the slow cooker and cook for as long as you like. When ready to eat, remove the chicken breasts, shred with two forks, return to the pot and stir.

• Advertisement

Hi all

I got some bacon ribs today for dinner tomorrow and currently I have the in a pot of cold water in the fridge, just wondering how often should the change the water? And how long should I cook them for?

I normally just do joints/pieces of bacon, this is my first time doing ribs so a bit unsure on cooking times.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi all

I got some bacon ribs today for dinner tomorrow and currently I have the in a pot of cold water in the fridge, just wondering how often should the change the water? And how long should I cook them for?

I normally just do joints/pieces of bacon, this is my first time doing ribs so a bit unsure on cooking times.

Thanks.

Overnight should be fine, then bring them to the boil. When it hits boiling point, throw out the water and replace it with Coca Cola. Bring it back to the boil and let it simmer for an hour.
    Enjoy! :)

Overnight should be fine, then bring them to the boil. When it hits boiling point, throw out the water and replace it with Coca Cola. Bring it back to the boil and let it simmer for an hour.
    Enjoy! :)
    I am cooking for four, two of those four won't touch the ribs if they are cooked in anything other that water unfortunately, so no experimentation tomorrow :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Brown bread tip. Once the mixture is in the tin, take a butter knife, dip in water, then flour. Cut down through the middle of the bread - right to the base of the tin. This'll ensure it bakes all the way through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Himself picked up 2 packs of Superquinn sausage meat last night so I made shortcrust pastry this morning, and we now have 4 dozen sausage rolls cooling. They're supposed to be for Christmas night nibbles but I can't see many of them lasting that long :rolleyes:

zt6w7o.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone ever made French onion soup with red onions? Have four kg of them!

And is 30 Euro for a potato ricer a bit ott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Stheno wrote: »

And is 30 Euro for a potato ricer a bit ott?

Yes to using red onions for French onion soup, I used the epicurious recipe a few years ago and it was lovely.
    €30 for a ricer sounds like alot, is it a particularly special one? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dee_mc wrote: »
    Yes to using red onions for French onion soup, I used the epicurious recipe a few years ago and it was lovely.
    €30 for a ricer sounds like alot, is it a particularly special one? :)

No I was out shopping today in homestore and more and that was the only one they had I was a bit shocked
    Can you give me a link to that recipe?

No I was out shopping today in homestore and more and that was the only one they had I was a bit shocked
    Can you give me a link to that recipe?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/French-Red-Onion-Soup-243524
    Better priced ricers in Debenhams and probably TK Maxx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cooking inspired lyrics.

Don't make cake in anger, I heard ya say. No? OK. :pac:

• Advertisement

Cooking inspired lyrics.

Don't make cake in anger, I heard ya say. No? OK. :pac:

Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
    And the bakers gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I really like Megan Traynor's turkey song - 'It's all about the Baste' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I really like Megan Traynor's turkey song - 'It's all about the Baste' :D

And "No Truffle":D

I love the theme song from Titanic #I believe that the hot dogs go on......

and who doesn't love the Eurythmics' old hit

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese,
    Who am I to diss a Brie..
    I cheddar the world and the feta cheese
    Everybody's looking for Stilton......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Yes on the red onions and it worked out very well. Make sure you cook them slowly for a long time.

I just stuck this in the 'mice pies' thread also but I'm just so chuffed with them. :)

B5Yy4r6CcAA466K.jpg

I just stuck this in the 'mice pies' thread also but I'm just so chuffed with them. :)

Um...mince pies. *squeak* :pac:

Defrosting the freezer. Not paying proper attention. A certain four legged creature had a nibble at some burgers. Into the bin they went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Speaking of burgers, I found a tip to doing the rolls.

If you put burger buns in a toaster both sides get toasted which I do not like, unless you have some fancy one which can turn off 1 side. 1 trick is to put the bun on top of the toaster, some have special holders for this, but you usually have to turn it around midway, and do the second half of the bun separately.

You can grill on one side of course but you may not want to use the grill. Also I find the roll can end up dry, and too bready when eating the burger. I wanted it like a takeaway burger roll.

So I sprinkled vinegar on my rolls, on the outsides only, and wiped it around a bit. I did this a few mins before popping them in the toaster so they had absorbed it well and evenly. So the moist side does not toast while the inner bit gets nicely brown, some of the vinegar evaporates off and seems to make the other bit of the roll more moist.

Of course if you overdo it they will be a sodden mess, I had to be careful lifting it out of the toaster as it was about to beak. But it was lovely on the burger. The roll was more squishy and could be pressed down to hold in the burger and fillings a bit better. Takeaway ones will be in those boxes or wrappers and so tend to "sweat" a bit and get like this, I actually like this. I have sometimes wrapped chips or covered them with a plate so they "sweat" like chipper ones would.

This bun wetting would work with water too, the vinegar was not overpowering and gave a nice zing to it, like pickled onion or gherkin would, and the sprinkler made it easy to add a small amount. Those par-baked baguettes are usually supposed to have water added to them.

• Advertisement

I made bolognese today and put in five fresh chilies, I de-seeded and chopped them without using gloves and now my fingers are burning. I've a cold cloth wrapped around them. Any ideas how I can stop the burning? Fingers are bright red too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement