Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

God the Hairy Bikers irritate me. I could happily run up to the dark haired one and pull his pony tail. Cringing along to them in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

God the Hairy Bikers irritate me. I could happily run up to the dark haired one and pull his pony tail. Cringing along to them in China.

A lot of their recipes look so nyommy but gawd does their patter ever get on my nerves.

It's especially bad because they clearly think they're hilarious! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    A lot of their recipes look so nyommy but gawd does their patter ever get on my nerves.

It's especially bad because they clearly think they're hilarious! :mad:

Yeah I never really got that programme. Small doses only.

Yeah I never really got that programme. Small doses only.

Seems to be based around "We're from the general Tyne and Wear area, aren't our accents funny?" Same kind of shíte that Richard Curtis pedals in his awful films; "Ooh look, aren't we British eccentric?"

Actually, what really gets on my nerves about the Hairy Bikers is their insistence that all British produce is superior to every where in the world. Some British produce is indeed fab. But having lived in the UK and Ireland, I missed Irish good quality sausages (even the good sausages from butchers in the UK don't measure up), Irish bread (UK bread is strangely tasteless, again even the supposed good stuff) and Irish lamb and beef.

But I do like a lot of the recipes they execute, and they aren't too cheffy (because, well, they're not chefs), but I'd just like more cooking and less "banter".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I like them. I find their style refreshing compared to some of the more 'precious' chefs.

I like them. I find their style refreshing compared to some of the more 'precious' chefs.

They are definitely more earthy and unpretentious, which is a big plus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too - maybe it's an age thing..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't mind them that much but I can certainly see why people would dislike them. That said, I hate when the guy with the full head of hair tries to be funny, it's just so forced and, well, unfunny. At find the guy to be at least a bit funny when he's messing about.

All that aside, I do like their recipes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I like them too. They make tasty stuff. They might go on a bit about British stuff is the best, but Nevin harps on about this and that too. Jamie talks alot of crap too. The sponsors made them do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like them, too. They seem genuinely interested in what they're doing. Agree on small doses, though.

Still have a cheeseboard from SuperValu to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I like them, too. They seem genuinely interested in what they're doing. Agree on small doses, though.

Still have a cheeseboard from SuperValu to get through.

Make a 5-cheese macaroni.... :)

beertons wrote: »
    The sponsors made them do it!

They're on the Beeb - no advertising! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I really enjoy The Hairy Bikers! I have a few of their books and love them on the telly. Must not be an age thing, I'm 22!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    They are definitely more earthy and unpretentious, which is a big plus.

I don't mind them on the most part but they can get a bit irrating at times.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I don't mind them on the most part but they can get a bit irrating at times.

Same as. :) Better than Jamie advising your to drop herbs on the finished dish from a height or Gordon considering food so important it requires a whole lotta swearing. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A WHATTTTTT?!!!

IMG_20141230_114440_zpsg0hxrg0_edit_1419939932323_zps9r815cgu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Jaysus! (That company does make great knives though)

I'm just so so so disgusted!!!

SIXTY QUID EXCLUDING VAT?!!!
    I got one for €3.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Just bought a Le creuset casserole dish and a Zwilling chefs knife in Kildare Village - Two things I've wanted for ages, so decided I'd treat myself to a belated Christmas present!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The oh and his son demolished one and a half ifs of ham cooked in coke yesterdat

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    The oh and his son demolished one and a half ifs of ham cooked in coke yesterdat

Easily done! Looking forward to picking up some cheap ham in Aldi to feed us for a few days in January...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought some pak-choi, tenderstem broccoli, sugarsnap peas and baby corn today with the plan to cook a nice stir-fry tonight.
    I also have mixed peppers, beansprouts, mushrooms and carrot sticks.

I'm not sure when to start cooking each item, though. I don't want soggy veg but I don't want it raw either. I like a nice bite though!

Do I just throw everything in the pan for a few minutes?
    Before or after I start cooking my noodles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought some pak-choi, tenderstem broccoli, sugarsnap peas and baby corn today with the plan to cook a nice stir-fry tonight.
    I also have mixed peppers, beansprouts, mushrooms and carrot sticks.

I'm not sure when to start cooking each item, though. I don't want soggy veg but I don't want it raw either. I like a nice bite though!

Do I just throw everything in the pan for a few minutes?
    Before or after I start cooking my noodles?

Carrots first, then in the following order: peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, sugarsnaps, peas, pak choi, beansprouts. You'll be wanting garlic and ginger too.

Carrots first, then in the following order: peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, sugarsnaps, peas, pak choi, beansprouts. You'll be wanting garlic and ginger too.

Ah great stuff, thanks a mill!
    Yeah I'll throw in some garlic and ginger, and some soy sauce.
    Anything else nice to pop in?

Chilli wouldn't go amiss.
    Dry sherry or rice wine.
    Chicken stock or veg stock.

Chilli wouldn't go amiss.
    Dry sherry or rice wine.
    Chicken stock or veg stock.

I've got chillies. I can get some rice wine.
    Now with the stock...would that not make it all soupy and wet?
    I've had bad luck with stir-fries in the past where I'd end up with a plate of liquid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

A teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, maybe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've had bad luck with stir-fries in the past where I'd end up with a plate of liquid :(

There's a couple of tricks to doing a good stir fry. The first one is to fry the meat first and then set aside. I like to marinade the meat in a mixture of soy sauce and sliced garlic too.
    You need to make sure that the veg is cut is similar enough sizes and then fry them on a high heat after you take out the meat. The temptation is to add more oil as you cook, don't! What you do is add a splash of water to the pan and put a lid on it, this steams the veg. Once the veg is cooked add your sauce, then your noodles*, and then put your meat back in.

*If you are using noodles, cook them beforehand and cool them immediately in cold water. Just drain them before adding to the pan.

The biggest trick of making a good stir fry is to have everything ready to go before your start. The actual cooking doesn't take long at all.

I mean just a half a cup or so of well flavoured stock. You don't want it dry, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

An onion cut up into wedges is an awesome addition to a stir-fry; I cook it first by itself in a smokingly hot wok to get the best flavour, then remove it and cook the rest of the veg in the kind of order given by the beer revolu.

I'd then take all the veg out and put aside, stir-fry the noodles by themselves to get them tastily seared, then add whatever sauces you like to use, then add in the meat and veg again. (laoganma chili crisp, oyster sauce, and a dab of kejap manis are my go-to noodle sauce ingredients :) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Having a lazy night of cheese, various meats, pate, crackers, crusty bread and some nice port here to end our Christmas break

Aldi have jars of caviar on special for €6. Caviar blinis with a dollop of sour cream with a sprinkling of dill for starter tonight. :)

B59F2BBF-EF1C-4007-942D-356954A90E9D_zpswfoichvf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I would second BaZmo*s advice of marination in soy sauce.
    Fry off onion and garlic first, with a little oil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Anyone out there have a tefal actifry? Got sucked into the whole "new year new me" malarkey and threw out chip pan. Very, very disappointed. Dry, tasteless chips.
    Cut chips all to the same size, dried them well before putting in but should I be doing something else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

heldel00 wrote: »
    Anyone out there have a tefal actifry? Got sucked into the whole "new year new me" malarkey and threw out chip pan. Very, very disappointed. Dry, tasteless chips.
    Cut chips all to the same size, dried them well before putting in but should I be doing something else?

There's a thread in Food & Drink - you might get some tips in there http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057063796/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'd like to get into a bit more Asian food this year. Can anyone recommend a book / site etc for a newbie to dip my toes?

Thanks!
    Loire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape Southeast Asia

Bill's Everyday Asian

Both the Gordon Ramsay and the Bill Granger books are beautifully photographed with a wide range of popular recipes from across Asia.

Two Asian Kitchens

Adam Liaw won the second series of Masterchef Australia. The book is an interesting combination of old recipes from his heritage, growing up in Malaysia, living in Tokyo, visiting Thailand, learning to cook with his Chinese grandmother. New recipes as part of the first book as winner of the show.

Rasa Malaysia site is my favourite for Asian recipes.

I quite like Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey.

Thanks guys!

Loire.

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    I'd like to get into a bit more Asian food this year. Can anyone recommend a book / site etc for a newbie to dip my toes?

Thanks!
    Loire

I could have Minder's Vietnamese Soup everyday and never get bored of it. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055926588/1. I don't use meat anymore, just stock and pak choi because it's easy and cheap to get.

I could have Minder's Vietnamese Soup everyday and never get bored of it. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055926588/1. I don't use meat anymore, just stock and pak choi because it's easy and cheap to get.

And that chicken....

5514414_zpsi52uwdj0.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Rasa Malaysia site is my favourite for Asian recipes.

I came across Rasa Malaysia on Pinterest, and although I haven't tried any recipes yet they look really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

After much him-haw-ing, I finally bought a slowcooker - at less than half price from argos! http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1217476.htm

Now, all I have to do is decide what recipe to start with - seriously guys, there's so many amazing sounding recipes here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056736930

I'm so excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

^^ PULLED PORK ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hey guys,
    was just curious if anyone had eaten at campagne in kilkenny?
    is it worth a visit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

javagal wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    is it worth a visit?

A friend has a few times - she raves about it.
    I think they've an early bird most nights, and it's reasonable - so could be worth a cheaper first visit to see if they merit a full blown!
    A weekend in Kilkenny with a dinner reservation is on my to-do list this year!

javagal wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    is it worth a visit?

We were there back in 2008 when it had just opened its doors, before making headlines to the masses.
    I didn't know what to expect to be honest but was blown away by the food. It was very noisy, but that's a good sign for atmosphere I guess.
    Highly recommended.

You've got to laugh :D

Gordon takes himself way too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I love the bit about his actual restaurants getting complaints about the egg-n-chips emporium in Tenerife :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement