Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ANy suggestions on what to do with a hunk of left over roast beef?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stheno wrote: »

Chop it up and make a cottage pie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I usually chop it up to make curries or else reheat it in a bit of gravy for my parents more Irish tastes ;)

Anything that I can start it off in that is cold and will work through the meat again slowly usually does me. Or sandwiches with chef brown sauce.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leftover roast beef goes one of two ways for me...

If I have leftover roast veg & gravy I'll make soup. Chop up the veg, shred the beef & lash it into a pot with finely chopped sweated onions, carrots & celery. I'll add any gravy left to the stock too.

If I just have beef it'll be sandwiches with plenty of salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

One of our favourite things to do is to slice it as thinly as possible and fry up some onions and peppers in a hot pan. Throw it in the pan with the veg to warm for just a half a minute.

Butter a couple of baguettes/ciabattas/thick slices of crusty bread and spread with butter and horseradish. Top with the onions, peppers and roast beef. Sprinkle with lots of cheese and pop under a hot grill until super melty.

That or a plain old roast beef sandwich with mayo, lettuce and raw onion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One of our favourite things to do is to slice it as thinly as possible and fry up some onions and peppers in a hot pan. Throw it in the pan with the veg to warm for just a half a minute.

Butter a couple of baguettes/ciabattas/thick slices of crusty bread and spread with butter and horseradish. Top with the onions, peppers and roast beef. Sprinkle with lots of cheese and pop under a hot grill until super melty.

That or a plain old roast beef sandwich with mayo, lettuce and raw onion.

So steak sammich for dinner for a coupla days?

That sounds good, am in a fierce lazy mood this week but wanting a "hot" dinner use for this.

This sounds lazier than cottage pie, which I'd never have thought of either :)

Thanks all :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Kebabs. Loads of them. Party in yours tomorrow?

Having a slow cooked korma tomorrow. Chopped up all the veg, put in a bowl. Got all the spices, garlic and ginger, crushed and mixed, and have it over the chicken. Never done it like this before.

beertons wrote: »

Having a slow cooked korma tomorrow. Chopped up all the veg, put in a bowl. Got all the spices, garlic and ginger, crushed and mixed, and have it over the chicken. Never done it like this before.

Hate kebabs lol :) but thank you :)

I've so much meat in the freezer I don't think I'll be spending more than 100 on groceries this month for decent meals and have made a resolution not to throw out food as much as possible this year :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In our house it would either become biksemad (with Worcester sauce splashed over the fried egg, mmm) or nasi goreng.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Looking to cook my own ham for the kids' lunches. Can anyone recommend the best cut and how to cook? Also, how best to freeze in individual slices?

Thanks!
    Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A bog standard ham fillet would suit. Just boiled or boiled & baked. Cut squares of baking parchment & insert between the slices before freezing.

A bog standard ham fillet would suit. Just boiled or boiled & baked. Cut squares of baking parchment & insert between the slices before freezing.

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm doing my typical January thing of trying to eat a bit better than in December, which means I have my typical Day 3 intense cravings for really, horrendously bad food. Sitting at my desk, looking at my box of fruit & obsessively thinking about how nice a salted, battered Rolo would be.

Leave me alone brain!! You're getting NUTHIN' from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Loire, get down to Aldi today, as it's the last day of their current Super 6, which includes a 1.5kg (I think) ham fillet for €4, which is great value and will get you lots of slices! I put the slices direct from the freezer into sandwiches in the morning; they thaw out quickly.

Loire, get down to Aldi today, as it's the last day of their current Super 6, which includes a 1.5kg (I think) ham fillet for €4, which is great value and will get you lots of slices! I put the slices direct from the freezer into sandwiches in the morning; they thaw out quickly.

Was going there anyway, so niice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

Oh.. my nephew would love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Probably too late but Rissoles!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/rissoles.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Can you make BBQ ribs with bacon ribs? It seems awkward enough getting regular port ribs here and all I see in Dunnes usually aqre bacon ribs. I don't think the saltiness would lend itself very well to making southern style BBQ ribs but I'm open to suggestions/corrections! Where is a good place to get regular pork ribs? I'm in Limerick btw. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If your butcher doesn't have pork ribs in stock they should be able to order them in for you easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

squonk wrote: »
    Can you make BBQ ribs with bacon ribs? It seems awkward enough getting regular port ribs here and all I see in Dunnes usually aqre bacon ribs. I don't think the saltiness would lend itself very well to making southern style BBQ ribs but I'm open to suggestions/corrections! Where is a good place to get regular pork ribs? I'm in Limerick btw. Thanks!

They won't be the same as regular pork ribs but try soaking them in water for a day to get rid of some saltiness then let them simmer in cola for an hour to sweeten them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My dad tried turning bacon ribs into bbq ribs and they were dreadful, but he didn't do anything to them to get rid of the salt. To be honest, I think they'd still be pretty nasty even after soaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

In Castletroy try the butcher beside Chawkes petrol station. They always had anything i asked for. Any butcher should manage pork ribs though, i'm surprised you are having trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used to get them in Superquinn handy enough so I'd imagine it'd be the same in SuperValu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm not having trouble really. I did call into a butcher lately who had some frozen ones out the back. I'll pop back again this evening. Might do some up for tea tomorrow night as a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

No problem - if you have time to soak them, grand , but blanch them-then refill with cold water and bring to the boil (like the coke idea too though) . Just undercook them (not quite falling off the bone) , drain well , marinade and grill - (or cook in the oven ) delish -
    My mam always did bacon ribs- with a mustardy pineapple -sweet barbeque sauce -
    Ribs, barbeque beans, baked spuds and coleslaw - heaven

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Markcheese wrote: »
    No problem - if you have time to soak them, grand , but blanch them-then refill with cold water and bring to the boil (like the coke idea too though) . Just undercook them (not quite falling off the bone) , drain well , marinade and grill - (or cook in the oven ) delish -
    My mam always did bacon ribs- with a mustardy pineapple -sweet barbeque sauce -
    Ribs, barbeque beans, baked spuds and coleslaw - heaven

BBQ beans? Do tell.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe the suggestions about soaking them will work, but I still have flashbacks to the 80s when my brother gave me barbecued bacon ribs. Poisonous :eek:

Kitchen specials in Aldi on Sunday..

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-11-jan/

Loire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loire wrote: »
    Kitchen specials in Aldi on Sunday..

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-11-jan/

Loire.

Nice selection there. I'll be getting one of those kettles - the lid snapped off mine the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i got a nice leg of venison, about 3kg. any tips on the best way to cook it, oven roasted or slow cooker.

• Advertisement

Went up to my local spice shop to get rice, and chick peas. Left with a bag of prawns, fish balls, chicken samosas, and potato samosas. €50 lighter. Didn't think I'd spend that much. A week's shopping in Aldi was even less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What do the knowledgeable people here think, which Pressure Cooker would you choose :confused:

4l or 6lt.

Usually only cook for 1 or 2 people.

I already have a 4lt and 6lt pot, so alternative uses don't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

blueshed wrote: »
    i got a nice leg of venison, about 3kg. any tips on the best way to cook it, oven roasted or slow cooker.

You could cut the individual muscles down into a mixture of small roasts and some steaks if you don't want to do it all in one go. This is what I usually do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Kat1170 wrote: »
    What do the knowledgeable people here think, which Pressure Cooker would you choose :confused:

4l or 6lt

Usually only cook for 1 or 2 people.

I already have a 4lt and 6lt pot, so alternative uses don't really matter.

6 Litre.
    You can't fill them all the way up as you need to leave space for the steam to pressurise.
    Unless you're taking it camping you'll save nothing by getting the 4 litre.

Made falafels today. Went from memory with the recipe. Turns out my memory is craps. I forgot the flour. I cooked them anyway, they're still a bit soft. Ah, the kids will never know!

Discovered today that my oh has never made a crisp sandwich

One of life's little pleasures :)

I met someone once who'd never had a chip butty :eek:

Made falafels today. Went from memory with the recipe. Turns out my memory is craps. I forgot the flour. I cooked them anyway, they're still a bit soft. Ah, the kids will never know!

I never put flour in falafel?

Chick peas, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt and a slice of wet bread (does this count as flour?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Cedrus wrote: »
    ...and a slice of wet bread (does this count as flour?).

Yes! It's your binding agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The trick with falafel is to use dried chick peas (soaked) rather than cooked tinned ones.
    Much, much better texture.

• Advertisement

Onion?

Cedrus wrote: »
    I never put flour in falafel?

Chick peas, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt and a slice of wet bread (does this count as flour?).
    Yes! It's your binding agent.

I know it's the binder, left it out once and had a sort of chick pea mince instead of falafel, but as I only grill my falafel for 20 minutes (stopped frying it years ago), I can't see flour cooking properly and I hate the taste of uncooked flour.
    The trick with falafel is to use dried chick peas (soaked) rather than cooked tinned ones.
    Much, much better texture.

I agree but as it adds a day to the prep it's only for special. I am fussy about which tins I use though, any sugar is a no no and Bachelors are crap, Epicure are generally alright. I'm the same with kidney beans for chilli, and I only ever do beans and bacon with dried beans.

Onion?

Finely chopped and fried off before incorporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

https://www.facebook.com/Independent.ie/photos/a.397665663469.175401.96796398469/10153021952058470/?type=1
    There's obv a market out there for the good ol crisp sammidge! Imagine the tourists tryin to get their head around that! "Oh gee you irish are crazy!"

heldel00 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/Independent.ie/photos/a.397665663469.175401.96796398469/10153021952058470/?type=1
    There's obv a market out there for the good ol crisp sammidge! Imagine the tourists tryin to get their head around that! "Oh gee you irish are crazy!"

LOL!

OH didn't realise that you have to use the entire packet and squish them in the sammich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You could cut the individual muscles down into a mixture of small roasts and some steaks if you don't want to do it all in one go. This is what I usually do. ;)

just put the whole lot into my slow cooker,

1 cup of red wine, dash of soy sauce, dash of worcestershire sauce.

2 bay leaves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt and black pepper.

all the above sitting on chopped onion, carrot, celery.

reckon its going to take between 6 - 8 hours.

plan on serving it with red cabbage, celeriac, mashed potatoes.

blueshed wrote: »
    just put the whole lot into my slow cooker,

1 cup of red wine, dash of soy sauce, dash of worcestershire sauce.

2 bay leaves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt and black pepper.

all the above sitting on chopped onion, carrot, celery.

reckon its going to take between 6 - 8 hours.

plan on serving it with red cabbage, celeriac, mashed potatoes.

It's only breakfast, and I'm salivating at the thought of it. Remember to post a pic of it. So I can lick the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I impulse-bought a Philips Airfryer from Curry's since it is reduced from 299 to 119 at the moment - I love it already, you can bung fryer-type frozen fries into it and 15 minutes later you have fries that taste soo much better than oven chips. I tried cooking some potstickers as well and they came out really well too; crispy and brown all over and no sticking!

10/10 would recommend if you like to have fried foods sometimes but don't like the mess or using all that fat :) .

http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/5.9.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

we are making our first real attempt at onion bhajis from scratch later for dinner with a nice pork curry. Hubby tried to make them before but they never stuck together. we have the proper flour and a majar jaffery recipe so we should be good to go this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The pork butcher on little Catharine St or the Wonderful Seamus Butler at the top of William St.

I do miss living in Pigtown :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement