Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I am finally back in Ireland, all sorts of married and honeymooned! We spent 3 weeks in Jamaica and then a few nights in Toronto on the way home. I have loads of food photos - will go through them this week and post some. I can safely say my new favourite foods are lobster and jerk chicken. I ate them until they were coming out of my ears.

Trying to catch up on all things Boards now - there's a lot to see! Your Xmas dinners look amazing.

Bonus non-food pic... I met Jamaican Santa on Christmas day!

tkEj17Rl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations and welcome back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Congratulations, that must have been the trip of a lifetime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Congratulations and welcome back homemadecider. Can't wait to see photos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

heldel00 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/Independent.ie/photos/a.397665663469.175401.96796398469/10153021952058470/?type=1
    There's obv a market out there for the good ol crisp sammidge! Imagine the tourists tryin to get their head around that! "Oh gee you irish are crazy!"

Someone was thinking along the same lines. A crisp sandwich café has opened in Belfast :)

https://www.facebook.com/98fm/photos/a.247863692584.135688.70730467584/10152744016587585/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ extra 50p to have your crust taken out?

Mrs Fox wrote: »

:eek: I'll cut it off myself thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    :eek: I'll cut it off myself thank you.

They can fcuk right off:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

£3.95?! :eek:

I think I'd rather go into a deli and get 2 slices of buttered bread and then buy a package of crips meself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think that crisp sandwich shop photo is crisp sandwich shop photoshopped. Just with the 'bagel & lox' on the menu & the loaves of bread as big as yer man's head. I could be wrong though but hopefully the prices & truly bizarre crust fee are the figment of the 'graphics persons' imagination

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think that crisp sandwich shop photo is crisp sandwich shop photoshopped. Just with the 'bagel & lox' on the menu & the loaves of bread as big as yer man's head. I could be wrong though but hopefully the prices & truly bizarre crust fee are the figment of the 'graphics persons' imagination

Seems quite possible, as this was posted on Twitter:

B7LCQXaIcAAJfgY.jpg

B7LCQXrIEAA_Vxn.jpg

£3.95 is a bit steep!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

£3.95 is a bit steep!

Is it though, when it's served with soup and chips? Looks like a decent feed:

000a0204-642.jpg

I'm having a crisp sandwich for lunch tomorrow. TWO crisp sandwiches January be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ Hon ya mad yoke ya!!! I might actually join ya! Two fingers to you January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm hoping the option to add 'sauce' to your crisp sandwich is fake in the 98fm photoshopped looking photo. I'm imagining brown or ketchup and I'm getting the serious texture squicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Called around to my folks yesterday.
    Found my 88 year old dad (who was extremely unwell, incapacitated, confused and off his food in early December) preparing homemade chicken Kiev for their evening diner!

Bought breadcrumbs, though.
    Slipping standards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Happy days, tbr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why would you want chips with a crisp sambo? "Hi, I'd like some carbs and fat with my carbs and fat please".

I told my brother to marry his now wife on the basis of her crisp sandwich - she'd had a Meanie blaa for breakfast the first time I met her and I told him she was a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Picked up the free Tesco magazine the other day and it's really good for a freebie. Lots of interesting dishes in.

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

kylith wrote: »
    "Hi, I'd like some carbs and fat with my carbs and fat please".

Sounds awesome. I think that might be my motto from now on.

Loire wrote: »
    Picked up the free Tesco magazine the other day and it's really good for a freebie. Lots of interesting dishes in.

I shall pick this up on my lunchtime stroll today!

I shall pick this up on my lunchtime stroll today!

it's surprisingly good to be honest & gives cost and calorie info per portion.

Faith wrote: »
    Is it though, when it's served with soup and chips? Looks like a decent feed:

Lol, I thought it was just for the sandwich :o

Nisbets have 11" pizza trays for a little over €4 inc. VAT with free delivery at the moment!

https://www.nisbets.ie/Tempered-Pizza-Pan-8mm-x-270mm/F007/ProductDetail.raction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm on a detox this week and trying to stay away from this forum :(

Tilly wrote: »
    I'm on a detox this week and trying to stay away from this forum :(

Safe yourself the bother!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Oh i'm not drinking any of that green shíte or doing anything like that. Just cut out dairy, wheat and any of the other good stuff for 5 days. It's just to get me used to eating clean again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In bed right now, relaxing after a crazy week of packing, cleaning & paperwork for the move home.

Mrs Billy is downstairs preparing a steak & kidney pie as a treat for my homecoming dinner. The smell is amazing. Níl aon tintean mar do thintean féin! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any suggestions as to what do do/how to cook fish balls? I don't want to do a soup. And I've no deep fat fryer. Will I steam them and eat them with a salad? Cook in a wok with coconut milk? I should have thought about this before I bought them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

beertons wrote: »
    Any suggestions as to what do do/how to cook fish balls? I don't want to do a soup. And I've no deep fat fryer. Will I steam them and eat them with a salad? Cook in a wok with coconut milk? I should have thought about this before I bought them.

Pretty much anything that calls for deep frying can be shallow-fried.

What about putting a cm of oil in a pan and frying them, then turning half way?

Alternatively you could brush them with oil and oven bake.

Just made the most amazing soup! Sweet potato, onion, celery, leek, loads of mushrooms and carrots. Perfect on a night like this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

In bed right now, relaxing after a crazy week of packing, cleaning & paperwork for the move home.

Mrs Billy is downstairs preparing a steak & kidney pie as a treat for my homecoming dinner. The smell is amazing. Níl aon tintean mar do thintean féin! :)

Would Mrs Billy share that recipe i wonder?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Just made the most amazing soup! Sweet potato, onion, celery, leek, loads of mushrooms and carrots. Perfect on a night like this..

You'll be able to answer this for me Loire. I made soup last week with butternut squash. Lovely but I peeled the squash before roasting and it took forever (never mind almost slicing off a finger). Can I chop, roast and then peel?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mmm, steak and kidney pie. I made a chicken, leek, mushroom and bacon pie on Sunday; I could see myself following it up with a beef pie this weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Mmm, steak and kidney pie. I made a chicken, leek, mushroom and bacon pie on Sunday; I could see myself following it up with a beef pie this weekend.

recipe please?

If anyone is interested in the Paul Flynn cookery book, it's now half price in Lidl, picked it up earlier and there are some nice recipes in it

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stheno wrote: »
    recipe please?

I pretty much winged it. Let's see... I fried off some bacon lardons and set aside, then fried off a couple of sliced leeks and set aside, then ditto some quartered mushrooms and finally a pack of chicken mini-fillets cut into bite-sized pieces. When the chicken was nicely browned I melted in a chicken stockpot, then added everything back in with some sage and tarragon, added a little water, a good splash of cream and a glug of sherry, reduced it for a few minutes and then thickened it with a cornflour slurry and seasoned with a little salt, a good twist of pepper and the juice of half a lemon.

While that was cooling I rolled out some shortcrust pastry I'd made earlier and left resting in the fridge, lined a pie tin, filled it with the chicken mixture and topped with the remainder of the pastry, then stuck it in the oven at 180 for about half an hour.

The pastry was simply 225g of plain flour and 100g of a mixture of butter and lard, rub in until its breadcrumby, add enough cold water (just a couple of tablespoons) to bind it into a dough and leave it in the fridge for at least half an hour.

heldel00 wrote: »
    You'll be able to answer this for me Loire. I made soup last week with butternut squash. Lovely but I peeled the squash before roasting and it took forever (never mind almost slicing off a finger). Can I chop, roast and then peel?

Hi,

Just realised in my post I mentioned that I used sweet potato, but in fact user butternut squash. In any case, I'm not sure as it was my first go! I peeled beforehand - cut the squash in half and peeled with a peeler...found it OK to be honest..

Loire.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Planning on getting a new kitchen in the coming months. Really happy, as our current kitchen is at least 30 years old!

Any tips?

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi all,

Planning on getting a new kitchen in the coming months. Really happy, as our current kitchen is at least 30 years old!

Any tips?

Loire.

Double oven definitely!

Hi all,

Any tips?

Loire.

Lucky you! :)

Don't forget the golden triangle - fridge, sink and cooker. Keeping it easy to move from one to the other makes for less stressful cooking.

Double oven definitely!

Only have space for a single oven as it will need to go under the hob. Am OK with that though as we use the hob for most things

If anyone has any recommendations for a particular brand / model of appliance also that would be super!

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My parents renovated their kitchen a few years ago. They had a Stanley stove which they wanted to keep, but added a steam oven and induction oven top. It's awesome.

Hi all,

Any tips?

Loire.

If you have the room, get a larder cupboard with lots of space between the shelves so you can throw all your food in there - and have room to find it then. For symmetry our kitchen fitter split it in two and put one each side of the fridge.
    I like big fridge but didn't want an American style one so I got a Fisher & Paykel and I love it. I also have a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer dishwasher and they're nothing but trouble. Ireland doesn't have the water pressure for them so you keep getting a Fill Fault and have to press the pause button. So you can't leave them on and go out.

2vkch1v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I always like the tall, narrow cupboards that slide out on tracks, my dream (and far-distant) kitchen will definitely have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If anyone has any recommendations for a particular brand / model of appliance also that would be super!

Loire.

I'm very happy with my Electrolux oven.
    Was not impressed with previous Whirlpool oven.

I'd hate to live without a double oven, though.

Loire.

Bought a Zanussi oven last year with electric hob. Hob is crap!!! :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement