Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bought a Zanussi oven last year with electric hob. Hob is crap!!! :(

I think electric oven with a gas hob is the best combo if you can do it. Double oven is a great addition if you could afford it. I'd have the oven at counter top height. I hate having to bend down to get stuff out of the oven in the current house. I'd also have at least a five ring hob.

I've lived in a few houses over the last few years and it has really illustrated to me what works and what doesn't work in a kitchen.

One of the houses was fantastic, all top of the range appliances and amazingly long work tops, but everything was spread out too much, like the oven being one end and the sink the other end. Just not practical. Also, the presses at high level when really nice (and I'd imagine expensive) but they weren't deep enough to have plates laid flat in them. :confused:

Space is a key issue, or at least making the most of it. All in one pull out larders are fantastic. I hate having places when things just get lost in the back and you end up having to dump them when you eventually find them.

When I eventually buy my own place the kitchen will be amazing! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd hate to live without a double oven, though.

I couldn't manage without a double oven at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Loire

I'll have to give that double-oven idea more thought so!

Cool larder Dizzyblonde! I'm thinking of something along the same lines myself also.

Thanks!

Loire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    I'll have to give that double-oven idea more thought so!

Cool larder Dizzyblonde! I'm thinking of something along the same lines myself also.

Thanks!

Loire

The double oven is great. Efficient too, as I mostly only use the top (small) one which heats up really quickly.
    Also very handy to be able to have two different temps on the go too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ah, I'm looking forward to when our crappy old oven conks out, so I can justify buying a new one. Our current one is a gas oven/gas hob combination. The gas hob is grand but the gas oven heats too much from the bottom, temperature control isn't great so even though I love baking, I can't bake anything interesting.

When I buy a new one it'll be a gas hob/electric double oven combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Only have space for a single oven as it will need to go under the hob. Am OK with that though as we use the hob for most things

You can get under-counter built-in double ovens that are the same size as under-counter built-in single ovens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

heldel00 wrote: »
    You'll be able to answer this for me Loire. I made soup last week with butternut squash. Lovely but I peeled the squash before roasting and it took forever (never mind almost slicing off a finger). Can I chop, roast and then peel?

I have one sitting in the cupboard at the moment and I'm either going to prick it and cook it in the slow cooker or cut it in half lengthways and bake it before scooping out the innards. Trying to chop and peel a raw one is incredibly difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

kylith wrote: »
    I have one sitting in the cupboard at the moment and I'm either going to prick it and cook it in the slow cooker or cut it in half lengthways and bake it before scooping out the innards. Trying to chop and peel a raw one is incredibly difficult.

Do you think so? I've never really had a problem peeling them. I cut it in two before peeling but always across the middle instead of lengthways. I find peelers don't work very well with them so I use a blunter paring knife like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

If anyone has any recommendations for a particular brand / model of appliance also that would be super!

Loire.

If your willing to pay the price go Gas hobs.

Couldnt live without gas. The heat control on gas is x10000000000 better than any electric tops.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Oldest trick in the book.

Prick the squash with a fork a few times, cut the top and bottom off and into the microwave for 3 and a half minutes.

This is just enough time to soften the skin while not affecting the inside of the squash. Take out of Microwave, leave cool for 1 minute and take your peeler or paring knife and the skin will come off like butter. If it doesnt, lash it back in for another 30 seconds.

People tend to think microwaves are a kitchens worst enemy, yet dont realise that Michelin star restaurants will have 4 -5 of them for simple tricks like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Loire

I'd like to get a gas hob alright, but as we don't have gas we would have to get the gas in. Our house is very well insulated so not really worth our while getting the gas in for the expense. I'm actually considering an induction hob, which are also a lot cheaper to run than gas from what I can see. I've used one before and they are quite revolutionary, boiling water as fast as a kettle!

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If your willing to pay the price go Gas hobs.

Couldnt live without gas. The heat control on gas is x10000000000 better than any electric tops.

This.
    And, in my experience, the cheap gas hobs are really much like the expensive ones - they just don't look as nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'd be too clumsy for an induction hob, my mother in law cracked hers by dropping something on it. Can't do much damage to a gas hob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bought a Zanussi oven last year with electric hob. Hob is crap!!! :(

The only electric hob that's any good is induction - and it doesn't suit all pots and pans -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'd like to get a gas hob alright, but as we don't have gas we would have to get the gas in. Our house is very well insulated so not really worth our while getting the gas in for the expense. I'm actually considering an induction hob, which are also a lot cheaper to run than gas from what I can see. I've used one before and they are quite revolutionary, boiling water as fast as a kettle!

Loire.

We have a gas hob here and use the refillable jars, always have one jar full as a spare while the other is connected. Find they last ages too. The only issue is (in this house anyway!) it tends to blacken the sides of saucepans if you don't have them on the correct size ring.

We have an induction hob in a second house and don't like it as much, I find that you can't control the heat as easily and can be easily damaged. But they are loooooads better than the old electric ring hos that food could fall down.

Would you ever consider a half & half? I wanted one of those the last time I was shopping for one with my mum but it was too big for the space we had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kovu wrote: »
    The only issue is (in this house anyway!) it tends to blacken the sides of saucepans if you don't have them on the correct size ring.
    That shouldn't happen if you have the correct jets and have them adjusted properly (air/gas mix) for the type of gas you're using. Could you maybe have a gas hob designed to run on natural gas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The best thing we ever did was get a raised dishwasher! Dishwasher is about 2.5ft off the ground, makes loading/unloading a hell of a lot easier.

Alun wrote: »
    That shouldn't happen if you have the correct jets and have them adjusted properly (air/gas mix) for the type of gas you're using. Could you maybe have a gas hob designed to run on natural gas?

Possibly, but there's a tendency to use the biggest ring & highest flame regardless of the saucepan size and I've given up trying to tell them otherwise! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My main kitchen design tip would be to use any skinny spaces for skinny cupboards next to hob - I keep oils, seasonings ect in an eyeline height ,8inch cupboard right next to the hob - no running around-
    Also use loads of drawers and pull out racks , nothing worse than dead space at the back of a cupboard -

Oh yeah , don't skimp on the extractor fan - lots of power- low noise (db rating) and a good filter ... Mines too loud and not as strong as I'd like-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Definitely agree with the mix of gas / induction. My parents have 2 gas rings ran off the cannisters, and likewise, they last ages. only way to cook meat, stir fry etc.
    They also have 2 seperate fan oven/grills as well as a solid fuel cooker. My mother was obsessed the perfect mix of cooking methods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Happy New Year to all on the C&R thread.....

I'm not doing much cooking but I got Tonka Beans recently...

Has anyone got a nice use for them in a desert or otherwise?

Thank you so much, GSWxxx :)

I would really appreciate it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The best thing we ever did was get a raised dishwasher! Dishwasher is about 2.5ft off the ground, makes loading/unloading a hell of a lot easier.

That's a brilliant idea.
    My oven is raised, with the top oven/grill at eye level.

Called into the kitchen today to see how the lads are getting on and a TV crew called (something the manager had arranged) and I was asked for an interview. Really cool that its going to be on TV over here.

Lets just say im spreading the word of how much of an amazing food culture Ireland has and how good our produce is. Very happy about that :D

Happy New Year to all on the C&R thread.....

I'm not doing much cooking but I got Tonka Beans recently...

Has anyone got a nice use for them in a desert or otherwise?

Thank you so much, GSWxxx :)

I would really appreciate it!
    Why not make a Tonka Bean Panna Cotta?

Off the top of my head just a basic panna cotta recipe

300g Double Cream, 300g full fat milk, 120g caster sugar and four gelatine leaves. combine it all in a pan and take one of the beans and finely grate them into the mixture..pour into molds and set in fridge overnight.

Read somewhere before to sprinkle some caramelized popcorn over the top of it...delicious.

Come back and let us know how it goes if you make it

Why not make a Tonka Bean Panna Cotta?

Off the top of my head just a basic panna cotta recipe

300g Double Cream, 300g full fat milk, 120g caster sugar and four gelatine leaves. combine it all in a pan and take one of the beans and finely grate them into the mixture..pour into molds and set in fridge overnight.

Read somewhere before to sprinkle some caramelized popcorn over the top of it...delicious.

Come back and let us know how it goes if you make it

I was thinking that P-S....

They are a bit odd to grate if you know what I mean...Such an odd smallish shape...I will try that - I was wondering if you could put them in a P&M??

I was thinking that P-S....

They are a bit odd to grate if you know what I mean...Such an odd smallish shape...I will try that - I was wondering if you could put them in a P&M??

Sorry but P&M has just whooshed over my head. What is it?

My bad....crushing them in a pestal and mortar....:D and adding them for flavour?

Just crushing it in a pestle and mortar P-M...like grinding it into ingredients.......:o

Just crushing it in a pestle and mortar P-M...like grinding it into ingredients.......:o
    Yeah you could do that too, just make sure you turn them to dust if adding to panna cotta.

Yeah you could do that too, just make sure you turn them to dust if adding to panna cotta.

I'll try that.......

Dust it is......:D

I feel like a challenge this weekend.....:pac:

• Advertisement

I'll try that.......

Dust it is......:D

I feel like a challenge this weekend.....:pac:
    I need a break from it all.

I spent 26 hours, with one or two naps in between, experimenting the other night for new specials for our menu at work.. Im wrecked... Yet I cant stop cooking...

I need a break from it all.

I spent 26 hours, with one or two naps in between, experimenting the other night for new specials for our menu at work.. Im wrecked... Yet I cant stop cooking...

My problem is I've no-one to cook for!!....:D

You can do it P-S!! :)

You just need a good nights sleep and to re-group!...:)

Sleep is short on a good cook's life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Loire, use as many deep drawers and larder style units as possible. Cupboard space is dead space without some sort of pully-outy-magic! We got ours in Ikea.
    As others have mentioned, an eye level oven saves you alot of bother. We have 2 deep drawers under ours, enough space for all our pots and many of our baking trays, tins and cooling racks etc.
    I love my induction hob, great alternative to gas.
    Oh and don't forget the wine rack, great for filling a narrow space between cupboards!

My problem is I've no-one to cook for!!....:D

You can do it P-S!! :)

You just need a good nights sleep and to re-group!...:)

Sleep is short on a good cook's life!!
    My girlfriend works in the restuarant at nights too so we rarely cook at home... I have a holiday at the moment, but still no time to rest..

No rest for the wicked i guess

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dee_mc wrote: »
    Loire, use as many deep drawers and larder style units as possible. Cupboard space is dead space without some sort of pully-outy-magic! We got ours in Ikea.
    As others have mentioned, an eye level oven saves you alot of bother. We have 2 deep drawers under ours, enough space for all our pots and many of our baking trays, tins and cooling racks etc.
    I love my induction hob, great alternative to gas.
    Oh and don't forget the wine rack, great for filling a narrow space between cupboards!

We've a second under the counter fridge in the utility room which is where all the raw meat goes if it is not in the freezer, handy to keep it away from cooked food, and for planning a big cook out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

That's a brilliant idea.
    My oven is raised, with the top oven/grill at eye level.

It's great tbh, it opens towards our island, then the drawers in the island which contain all the plates and cutlery open towards the dishwasher. Unbelievable laziness on my part, but essentially you don't have to move to unload the dishwasher.

Having the oven raised is dead handy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Shop around Loire not just for prices but for ideas. We were going with the "hipster, cool, mod" kitchen designer for ours but someone mentioned a local man who had been at kitchens for years. We went to him and the ideas and insight he had were fantastic. Completely turned the other fella'a ideas on their head and made a great job of the kitchen.
    They won't let you bring plans that they design with you but you should remember when a good idea is suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Meanwhile, in the cooking club.......

Screenshot_2015-01-17-11-44-13_zpsjvohhsd_edit_1421495102710.png_zpsiausnsyo.jpeg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Curly kale for 29cents in Aldi. Sure you couldn't walk by it for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was in Mongolian Barbeque this evening and the beef they use for the stir fry was gorgeous, very very thinly sliced, and very tender.

Am trying to figure out the cut of beef, would it be something like flank steak?

Stheno wrote: »
    I was in Mongolian Barbeque this evening and the beef they use for the stir fry was gorgeous, very very thinly sliced, and very tender.

Am trying to figure out the cut of beef, would it be something like flank steak?
    More than likely Flank, cut across the marbling. Nice and tender

More than likely Flank, cut across the marbling. Nice and tender

Thanks you've described it perfectly :)

Would a butcher be willing to slice a flank up using their slicer? Can't imagine how I'd cut it that thinly otherwise

And secondly is there another name for flank steak? An awful lot of the time when I ask for flank steak I get looked at blankly, think they've referred to it by another name that starts with b?

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks you've described it perfectly :)

Would a butcher be willing to slice a flank up using their slicer? Can't imagine how I'd cut it that thinly otherwise

And secondly is there another name for flank steak? An awful lot of the time when I ask for flank steak I get looked at blankly, think they've referred to it by another name that starts with b?
    Sharp knife would cut it paper thin for you.

Its called a London Broil in England, but mostly known as a flank so thats a bit strange they look blankly.

Sharp knife would cut it paper thin for you.

Its called a London Broil in England, but mostly known as a flank so thats a bit strange they look blankly.

I remembered!

Bavette is what they keep referring to in my local butchers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Loire, only thing I can think of for kitchens is avoid a corner cupboard, or if you have one, put in one of the spinny things so you can rotate it easily to get at all of the contents. We've a corner press in the kitchen at home and it gets really underused because it's hard to reach the back of it - Mam keeps saying she wants one of the rotating things put in so she can actually use the cupboard.

Raised dishwasher sounds excellent, I once lived in a flat with a DIY version of this, in that the dishwasher was on top of the washing machine. Bizzare, and awkward to reach the top rack for anyone less than six feet tall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Hi all,

Planning on getting a new kitchen in the coming months. Really happy, as our current kitchen is at least 30 years old!

Any tips?

Loire.

Gas Hob, bottled if necessary. Induction hob is a slack second if gas is not possible.
    Electric Oven, under counter if just for the odd roast, counter level if you're mad into baking.
    Pull out larders, if only so you can see the dates on the exotic cans.
    Depending on household size, a split dishwasher can be a massive bonus.
    Avoid the corner unit Black Hole.
    Proper storage for Bread, if it's in the fridge, it's not proper bread or you don't care anyway.
    Get the biggest butch-est extractor fan that your outside wall will hold, retail level cooker hoods are useless unless you only want to gently poach your food.
    Space for the Dog/Cat.
    We're big into Fisher & Paykel these days but there are many other manufacturers who have excellent gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Made a beef stew last night - the broth was flavoursome, the veggies were tasty, but the meat was disappointing. It was tender but dry at the same time. Not sure if I'm describing that too well. The chunks broke up easily but chewing the meat wasn't a pleasant experience. You know when you're chewing meat and it gets that stringy, almost furry texture in your mouth? Would this just be down to it being crappy enough quality meat? I got it in a supermarket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It sounds like you used a very lean cut of beef? In a stew, you typically use tough meat with a lot of fat and connective tissue that breaks down over the cooking process to give a velvety feel to the meat. If you had dry but tender meat, it suggests overcooked lean meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Two questions occurred to me during the cooking of this dish (which turned out very well, my misgivings about quinoa notwithstanding) and hopefully this is the right place to put them rather than adding a new thread?

1. The directions say to fry up the onions, then remove them and start with the chicken. The only other dish where I have to employ this 'start again' approach is with my jambalaya, but even then the first step is to cook up the chorizo, remove it and start with the veg in the resulting chorizo'd oil, so that makes sense. Here, I don't see why I remove the onions, adding them back when I'm adding the balti paste and quinoa?

2. A lot of my recipes appear to include a 400g tin of tomatoes. It's always that much and it's not always what I would consider "tomato-based recipes", this one for example. So why tinned tomatoes, and why that amount (apart from the fact that it seems that's the amount they're sold in)? Do they add bulk or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

corblimey wrote: »
    Two questions occurred to me during the cooking of this dish (which turned out very well, my misgivings about quinoa notwithstanding) and hopefully this is the right place to put them rather than adding a new thread?

1. The directions say to fry up the onions, then remove them and start with the chicken. The only other dish where I have to employ this 'start again' approach is with my jambalaya, but even then the first step is to cook up the chorizo, remove it and start with the veg in the resulting chorizo'd oil, so that makes sense. Here, I don't see why I remove the onions, adding them back when I'm adding the balti paste and quinoa?

2. A lot of my recipes appear to include a 400g tin of tomatoes. It's always that much and it's not always what I would consider "tomato-based recipes", this one for example. So why tinned tomatoes, and why that amount (apart from the fact that it seems that's the amount they're sold in)? Do they add bulk or something?

The reason the onions are cooked and removed is probably so that the onions which are large sliced are cooked fully to get the full flavour out of them. They are removed so that they won't get burnt (or soggy) when cooking the chicken.

Adding a tin of tomatoes adds flavour, colour, nutrients and reduces the amount of stock you use. I always put a tin of tomatoes into my curry dishes and stews.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement