Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

haha, she just called me, day saved woohoo \o/.

Hope low for 6 hours does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Loire

I've a Gulyásleves in the slow cooker - it's proper Hungarian Goulash which is traditionally more of a soup than a thick stew consistency. I got some lovely paprika from a farmers market in Budapest and it only ever goes into this type of dish.

Going to stick the slow cooker on low at 7 in the morning, and have it for dinner at 5.

stb_2197-food-0703.jpg

5 is perfect for me, so see you then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have a nice lunch with me and I want to eat it so badly. Pretty much sitting here obsessing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have a nice lunch with me and I want to eat it so badly. Pretty much sitting here obsessing!

Ha I thought I was the only one who did that. When I made the chickpea and chorizo stew from the cooking club the three days I brought it into work for my lunch were the longest mornings ever and I had my lunch at 12!

Ha I thought I was the only one who did that.

I'm ready for action since about 10.30 :)

k6xIcP9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

:mad::mad:

forgot to turn on the slow cooker :o:(

wonder if the wife did.

I invested in a timer switch thingy for mine and it's a good job. Can set it before bed night before in case I forget in the morning

Does anyone know how one might get or if it's even possible to get the smell of clove oil out of plastic? My boyfriend got himself a food processor just before Christmas and decided to make powdered cloves for cookies in it. I didn't want to look like a know it all at the time so didn't give voice to my 'ooh...no...best not to do that...' reservations. So now it's pretty badly scraped and very clovey smelling. Tried soaking it in cleaning soda and water but still pretty pongy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Does anyone know how one might get or if it's even possible to get the smell of clove oil out of plastic? My boyfriend got himself a food processor just before Christmas and decided to make powdered cloves for cookies in it. I didn't want to look like a know it all at the time so didn't give voice to my 'ooh...no...best not to do that...' reservations. So now it's pretty badly scraped and very clovey smelling. Tried soaking it in cleaning soda and water but still pretty pongy!

Try a bit of Milton it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on a white wine that is suitable for cooking? I don't drink white wine (bar sparkling the odd time) and anytime I've bought a white wine specifically for cooking I've never had good results, its either been to sour/sweet or just not nice, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

As its specifically for cooking, I'd rather not spend too much though.

The wine I got most recently for cooking was this one, it was bad enough in a glass, but in a white wine sauce it was even worse.

marques-de-caceres-rioja-white-blanco.jpg

It was like sweet vinegar, and given that I am a huge fan of red Rioja, I was a wee bit disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I use mayonnaise or oil to remove smelly stains from plastic. Generally orangey carrot or tomato, but it might work?
    Just rub it on and leave a while and then rub it off.

Vinegar generally amazing for removing smells either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know it's too late now but apparently it's not recommended to put cloves into food mixers for the very reasons you gave above.
    I read that somewhere just before I got my spice grinder years ago, and in a quest to keep it in prime condition I used to grind the cloves separately in a p&m. Then I got bored and just did them together with all the other spices in the grinder.

Haven't a clue how to fix your problem though.. :(
    Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on a white wine that is suitable for cooking? I don't drink white wine (bar sparkling the odd time) and anytime I've bought a white wine specifically for cooking I've never had good results, its either been to sour/sweet or just not nice, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

The wine I got most recently for cooking was this one, it was bad enough in a glass, but in a white wine sauce it was even worse.

marques-de-caceres-rioja-white-blanco.jpg

It was like sweet vinegar, and given that I am a huge fan of red Rioja, I was a wee bit disappointed.
    White Riojas aren't ideal for cooking, you need to use something crisp and slightly sharp like a Sauvignon Blanc or a Chardonnay (just make sure it's un-oaked).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Good old bread soda/bicarb should work since it absorbs odours. I'd put a tablespoon or two in with water and leave it overnight. You might have to do it a few times though because clove is such a strong smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi all,

I use vermouth instead of wine. You can get a bottle in Lidl for €5. It keeps for months and adds a lovely wine flavour to any cooked food. Most disgusting drink ever though!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Bought an oven thermometer today. Have to say I'm very happy with the way my oven's temps match the Thermometer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi all,

I don't use wine in my cooking but I have often heard it said that you should not use a wine in your cooking that you would not be happy drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use vermouth instead of wine. You can get a bottle in Lidl for €5. It keeps for months and adds a lovely wine flavour to any cooked food. Most disgusting drink ever though!!!! :eek:

I know taste is a subjective thing but I tried this and didn't like the results at all. I found the flavours from the vermouth way to noticeable for me. I ended up throwing the bottle out.

I think a Lidl cheap pinot grigio was my last cooking white wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I got that 3.99 white wine from aldi, and it was pretty good in my risotto. Not sure if it would hold up if it was the star of the dish, but it definatly worked well as a background.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm beyond delirious this morning because I've just had a call to say I've won one of these:
    http://www.agacookshop.co.uk/cast-iron/coalbrookdale-pot

351yis8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hi all,

This chenin blanc from tesco is perfectly drinkable ( I like dry white wines and this stuff is fine) and only 5.75

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257364025

There are Easter Eggs, and not just a few cheeky creme eggs but actual Easter Eggs and lots of them, in my local Tesco. I stood there for a full minute today, slack jawed, looking at them. Seasons are seriously starting to melt into one & other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

There are Easter Eggs, and not just a few cheeky creme eggs but actual Easter Eggs and lots of them, in my local Tesco. I stood there for a full minute today, slack jawed, looking at them. Seasons are seriously starting to melt into one & other.
    JC's in Swords have had them in before Christmas :(

Whaaaat, ok, they win the Mental Supermarket competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think the JCs thing is a sort of Christmas tradition.

I think the JCs thing is a sort of Christmas tradition.

It is, and has been for decades :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

My husband heard about a "pot noodle easter egg" and got really excited about the potential weirdness... but it turns out it's just a regular chocolate egg sitting in a mug with 'pot noodle' written on it. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is, and has been for decades :)

You have to admit they are a v bit whacky though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That moment when you wake up to a pizza dough that's tripled in size and tumbled right out of the giant bowl it's been proving in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bought this today.

31WYAAN38GL._SX425_.jpg

Chuffed. Nice and simple design with a 10 year guarantee......and less than half price. :)

One of those special moments this evening. Made a big batch of fish fingers this evening with a helping hand from my 6 year old. (Best way to get the inside track with kids is doing activities like this). Anyway, she turns to me and says "Daddy, when I'm big I'm going to get married and we're going to live with you and Mammy and we going to get a cat" Fantastic stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Loire wrote: »
    One of those special moments this evening. Made a big batch of fish fingers this evening with a helping hand from my 6 year old. (Best way to get the inside track with kids is doing activities like this). Anyway, she turns to me and says "Daddy, when I'm big I'm going to get married and we're going to live with you and Mammy and we going to get a cat" Fantastic stuff!!

I think I was 6 when I told my mam that when I got married I was going to move in with my husband so she could cook for us every day :)

• Advertisement

My daughters are adults now and so many of our happy memories are centred around the kitchen - both cooking and eating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Loire, going by the gorgeous things you post up here, when I'm big I'm going to live with you and mammy. (I already have the husband but have you any issues if we have a dog instead of a cat? :p)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My daughters are adults now and so many of our happy memories are centred around the kitchen - both cooking and eating :)

I grew up in a slightly strange family, my dad was the cook, and many of my childhood memories are of his experimenting and dishes fancy/weird names like goulash (strange in the seventies :) ) and his Friday night special of "vomit" and his encouraging me (as he did in many other areas) to experiment with cooking.

In other news, I am going through a phase of clearing out the freezer of "old" i.e. stuff that has been there for 3-6 months, so this week I pulled out some chicken breasts to defrost.

Given that my de facto use for them is stirfry and I just didn't fancy it, I had a root around the kitchen.

RESULT! Chicken, chorizo and lardons, in a tomato, honey, vinegar and mixed herbs sauce topped with mash

I thought I was the dogs proverbial, until I googled it and discovered about a million recipes lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Kitchen time with the kids is the best. Tonight I asked my daughter what she wanted to do at the weekend. Busy Sunday, but she says can we spend Saturday in the kitchen. Happy days. She's 11. Now if only I could get her little brother as interested.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Loire, going by the gorgeous things you post up here, when I'm big I'm going to live with you and mammy. (I already have the husband but have you any issues if we have a dog instead of a cat? :p)

Thanks for that! You're more than welcome as I don't even like cats!

Oldest trick in the book.

Prick the squash with a fork a few times, cut the top and bottom off and into the microwave for 3 and a half minutes.

This is just enough time to soften the skin while not affecting the inside of the squash. Take out of Microwave, leave cool for 1 minute and take your peeler or paring knife and the skin will come off like butter. If it doesnt, lash it back in for another 30 seconds.

People tend to think microwaves are a kitchens worst enemy, yet dont realise that Michelin star restaurants will have 4 -5 of them for simple tricks like this.

This is the best trick ever.
    Just made a butternut squash soup with carrots and parsnips from Lidl. I think it cost about 4 euro to make and it will do me for the week!
    No hacking and cursing while peeling squash. I'm in awe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A chinese colleague gave me a century egg today. It tastes nowhere near as bad as it looks, but I'll stick with my hard boiled eggs for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A chinese colleague gave me a century egg today. It tastes nowhere near as bad as it looks, but I'll stick with my hard boiled eggs for now.

It's best eaten with something plain like congee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

fiddlechic wrote: »
    This is the best trick ever.
    Just made a butternut squash soup with carrots and parsnips from Lidl. I think it cost about 4 euro to make and it will do me for the week!
    No hacking and cursing while peeling squash. I'm in awe!

Speaking of which, I grabbed a couple of butternut squash in Lidl. Anyone got a good recipe for soup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's best eaten with something plain like congee.

I had it with a glass of water in case there was a bad aftertaste :)

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I grabbed a couple of butternut squash in Lidl. Anyone got a good recipe for soup?

I just sweated 2 onions, a few cloves of garlic and then added 2 butternut squash (peeled, minus seeds and roughly chopped), 4 peeled parsnips and 6 unpeeled carrots with a stock cube and enough water to cover them. Simmered for about 35 minutes. Added black pepper and blitzed with handblender until smooth.
    Delicious.

I used to always peel carrots for soup, but not peeling them makes no difference to taste and all the difference to preparation time.

I just sweated 2 onions, a few cloves of garlic and then added 2 butternut squash (peeled, minus seeds and roughly chopped), 4 peeled parsnips and 6 unpeeled carrots with a stock cube and enough water to cover them. Simmered for about 35 minutes. Added black pepper and blitzed with handblender until smooth.
    Delicious.

I used to always peel carrots for soup, but not peeling them makes no difference to taste and all the difference to preparation time.

Sounds good to me, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Delicious.

I never peel carrots or potatoes unless I absolutely have to. The peel is were the good stuff is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Delicious.

For xmas dinner i made a squash soup.
    roast sweet red peppers in oven, sweat onion and chilli, then mix in some red curry paste, add cubed squash, cubed sweet potato and carrots, add veg stock and then add roasted/blackened peppers. boil, then simmer and add fish sauce, coconut milk, thai basil and lime juice. Blend. (You'll find the exact recipe somewhere online)

kylith wrote: »
    I never peel carrots or potatoes unless I absolutely have to. The peel is were the good stuff is.

Life is too shore for peeling stuff:D

• Advertisement

Just thought when posting about my Cod dinner - picked up one of these a few years ago and they're fab - I can fry fish on the hob and then transfer straight into the oven.

0712416001414514654.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Life is too shore for peeling stuff:D

Especially for peeling butternut squash :pac:

I suppose there is always an exception:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I suppose there is always an exception:D

I've said it further up the thread, I never peel pumpkin or butternut squash. I find it an unnecessary palaver and the skins go all soft anyway when cooked.

Well the microwaving of it is infinitely better than not - but it is still very annoying!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement