Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my wireless card dying?

• 07-10-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Since last week, using wireless on my Samsung Netbook N130 has become v v slow. It connects to any wireless network fine but when you try to browse the internet, it goes very slow and usually the connection times out.

I have done the following troubleshooting but still the problem persists:

-Tested on about 4 different wireless networks
    -Reinstalled Windows and tested on a number of networks again
    -Installed a few different drivers to see if that was the issue but
    I dont think it is. I tried all wireless drivers for the model that
    were on the Samsung support site.
    -It works fine when connected via ethernet cable to router.

Does it sound like a wireless card that is dying issue?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm totally stuck with this issue.

Thanks

Mike
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

mtk2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Since last week, using wireless on my Samsung Netbook N130 has become v v slow. It connects to any wireless network fine but when you try to browse the internet, it goes very slow and usually the connection times out.

I have done the following troubleshooting but still the problem persists:

-Tested on about 4 different wireless networks
    -Reinstalled Windows and tested on a number of networks again
    -Installed a few different drivers to see if that was the issue but
    I dont think it is. I tried all wireless drivers for the model that
    were on the Samsung support site.
    -It works fine when connected via ethernet cable to router.

Does it sound like a wireless card that is dying issue?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm totally stuck with this issue.

Thanks

Mike

carefully open laptop... check the connectors on the wireless chip are not loose

most laptop have a small panel that you can remove to get access to the wireless chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

most laptop have a small panel that you can remove to get access to the wireless chip

With a Samsung netbook, only the memory is accessible though the service panel. You'll need to dismantle the netbook in order to get to the WLAN controller. (just looking at a spare AR5895 from a NP150 here, PM me if you need it)
    carefully open laptop... check the connectors on the wireless chip are not loose

Before you take it apart, test the wireless connection with a Linux Live USB distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mtk2

Thanks for the advice guys!

Torqay, I already tried an Ubuntu distro and it didnt help. I will try one more time. I have a pretty old dell laptop with a working wireless card (laptop is for the bin) so I might try and take it out and put it in the netbook.

mtk2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Torqay, I already tried an Ubuntu distro and it didnt help. I will try one more time. I have a pretty old dell laptop with a working wireless card (laptop is for the bin) so I might try and take it out and put it in the netbook.

If it fits... the PPT-AR5B95 is tiny. A lot smaller than the WLAN adapters you'd find in a regular size notebook PC.

ah ok. It def wont fit so cos it comes from this old crock of ****: http://bit.ly/19kqKOU
    (the noisyest and fattest laptop ever invented id say ha ha :)!!

• Advertisement

Ah yes, probably one of these Dell laptops with a regular Northwood CPU (rather than a Pentium M), but hey, it's got DV-I out! :D

yeah it still works great but the noise is unbearable! I put on Lubuntu to see if it would cool it down (and stop roaring) a bit but no good.
    The charger weighs as much as the netbook ha ha!

There might be an option in the BIOS for Fan Always On in the BIOS.

I have one of these "monstrosities" here myself, a Toshiba with a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor, Best thing is the battery, still lasts 1.5 hrs ... after 10 years. ;)

Advertisement