Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house up for sale how much notice?

Options
  • 07-10-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭

my cousin is living in rented house up for sale, but the landlord said they might have buyer.

How much notice would they need to get if they had to move out does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it depends how long your cousin has been living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

D3PO wrote: »
    it depends how long your cousin has been living there.

only couple of months. think its 3-4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

D3PO wrote: »

cheers. that is plenty of time. sh thought it might only be 7 days or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dont worry, it will be at leasr 28 days notice and it could take take a few months for the house to close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If there is a fixed term lease in operation, then the landlord cannot use the grounds in the RTA 2004 to evict a tenant. Therefore, with a fixed term there cannot be a notice period - unless there is a well worded clause in the lease.

hfallada wrote: »
    Dont worry, it will be at leasr 28 days notice and it could take take a few months for the house to close.

Ya she was told it will be easily into next year now. got text from her this morning. she moving to Dublin then so works out for her well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

odds_on wrote: »
    If there is a fixed term lease in operation, then the landlord cannot use the grounds in the RTA 2004 to evict a tenant. Therefore, with a fixed term there cannot be a notice period - unless there is a well worded clause in the lease.

You got a source for this out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It seems to be one of those grey areas. A fixed term lease is just that, and some (including Threshold) are of the opinion that the part 4 clauses that allow for termination do not apply while a fixed term lease is in effect. Others made the argument that the part 4 is the minimum rights afforded to the tenant which run concurrently with the lease, and as such the clause do apply.

To the best of my knowledge this has never been tested in front of the PRTB, and I am yet to see anyone give a definitive answer either way. My personal feeling is that a fixed term lease affords the tenant security in the tenancy for the duration of the fixed term, and as such they cannot be asked to leave for any reason other than breach of lease or antisocial behaviour in that time. That is just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IndyIrish

There is a sliding scale correlated to time spent as a tenant revert to the prtb for the breakdown.
    my cousin is living in rented house up for sale, but the landlord said they might have buyer.

How much notice would they need to get if they had to move out does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

djimi wrote: »
    It seems to be one of those grey areas. A fixed term lease is just that, and some (including Threshold) are of the opinion that the part 4 clauses that allow for termination do not apply while a fixed term lease is in effect. Others made the argument that the part 4 is the minimum rights afforded to the tenant which run concurrently with the lease, and as such the clause do apply.

To the best of my knowledge this has never been tested in front of the PRTB, and I am yet to see anyone give a definitive answer either way. My personal feeling is that a fixed term lease affords the tenant security in the tenancy for the duration of the fixed term, and as such they cannot be asked to leave for any reason other than breach of lease or antisocial behaviour in that time. That is just my opinion though.
    Absolutely correct, djimi.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by odds_on View Post
    You got a source for this out of interest?

A fixed term lease is a legally binding contract for the duration of the term (in this case, term = length of time of the lease!). Thus, Irish law allows a tenant a get-out clause: the assignment of the lease.

However, there is no such option for a landlord, except by a well worded break clause.

Advertisement