Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallorca 70.3 2014

Options
  • 07-10-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Bit early to be planning next season but looking to fit in a race with family hol. Looking at mallorca 70.3 in May. Keep me motivated over winter months!
    Anybody any experience/advice regarding hotels etc. Would need to be kid friendly..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Bit early to be planning next season but looking to fit in a race with family hol. Looking at mallorca 70.3 in May. Keep me motivated over winter months!
    Anybody any experience/advice regarding hotels etc. Would need to be kid friendly..cheers

I'm signed up along with a large group from midland tri. Loads of self catering available at the moment but get in there soon, they are filling up fast. A lot more in the line of hotels if you are willing to stay outside of porto d'alcudia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

I did it this year great race, it started out I was going to go with some lads I knew and then the school changed the mid term from Feb to May so we all went (wife & 3 kids). We didn't get a great hotel as it was late by the time we booked, if you can get a hotel in the port of Alcudia or Puerto Pollensa you'd be better off.

Any questions fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Cheers found a few hotels which look good. Out of interest are u going to ship your Bike or rent over there? Also have u entered race already? Not sure if sells out early

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Stayed below this year for the race and took a 9 month old with us. The hotel is baby/child friendly, the staff were very nice to her. The main pool is a bit cold for kids but there is a smaller warm pool. There were lots of athletes form all over staying there including Irish. We went B&B but there is a full board option. We ended up eating there at night a few times and the food was fairly good. They ran an early morning breakfast and bus to the start on race day. The bike route passes the hotel so you don't have to drag the family to the start line at 6 a.m. which is handy.

The hotel is half way between Alcudia or Puerto Pollensa so you will need to rent a car to pop in and out to Alcudia for reg etc. but id imagine you would be renting one anyway.

If u want any more info let me know

http://www.clubpollentia.com/hotel-overview.html

Link

Sold out now - biggest field of any Ironman event appartently..... probably means loads of drafting too but here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its a single loop (was when i did it anyway) so should be ok once you hit the hill (which isnt too far into the race). Great course, i stayed at Club Pollentia all inclusive and asked for a room away from road which upgraded me to the nicer village rooms at no extra cost :P I was on my tod and have a lovely big room, unfortunately i couldnt make the most of the all inclusive though. I booked it for lesss than most managed to get shared less comfy rooms by finding a really cheap price and price matching hotels.com and going through fatcheese for the extra discount (which they gave on the initial value before ther price match :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I just checked there who i got the price match from, it was travelrepublic.ie who seem to be very cheap now too (396 for a Wednesday - Tuesday B&B for 2 people!), use fatcheese.ie for a 5% return on €498 from hotels.com and hold them to their price match and you'll get the balce refunded (so €370 odd for 2 people B&B for 6nights!). Its a lovely spot but is outside the local town. Its a large resort though i due to the fact i was there to race i had no need to be walking around the touristy spots. Lovely outdoor pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 astrock

Hi there...im new to boards and just saw this thread. Im taking part in the half ironman aswell (my first one) . I was planning on renting a bike over there. Does anybody have any suggestions of who to rent from and is it worth hiring a car while im there. I plan to go for 5 days. I havent booked any accommodation yet either. Thanks

I’m heading over too but using ship my tri bike. Seem to run a good service from what I hear. No experience with renting bike or car.

I’m going with wife and kids. We booked the Jupitor full board for just over the €600 mark full board for the 4 of us. Plan of taking advantage of that after race day…
    That hotel & resort is more family oriented so may not suit all.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

http://www.clubpollentia.com/hotel-overview.html

This place also rents out more than decent road bikes. They are set up for cyclists and triathletes. Not sure if you will get a better option in terms of somewhere to stay close to the event and with the option to rent a bike from the hotel (assuming availability)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 astrock

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I think Hotel Jupiter is a bit too family orientated for m. I checked out Club Pollentia but it appears to be sold out...online at least. Shame as its looks great. Ill keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I rented my bike from these http://www.procyclehire.com/ and it was fine. Titanium Van Nick, came with speedo. 50 ish for 2 days. They have better bikes if you want and the also rent FF deep section wheels. The Titanium road bike served me well though as there is some serious climbing after 20k.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The main climb on this route is roughly 20k in total but about half of this is actual climbs. Lots of switchbacks and a few brief downhills to break it up. It is very doable and has a great descent off it. The only other part I found tough was dead flat, they called it the reed road, and it was very exposed to wind. If you can climb and descend well on a tt bike, so as not to lose time, it would be useful once you get off the hill.

Nice results. Take it your on target for mallorca?

Thought I'd take your comment in to this thread instead.

Happy enough given the amount of time I have available. Still hoping for sub 5 but I hear its not the fastest bike course in the world so will see on the day. Really looking forward to it now. Bikes going next week so need to sort stuff out :)

How are your preparations going? You are running well given your Kinvara result anyway.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Thought I'd take your comment in to this thread instead.

Happy enough given the amount of time I have available. Still hoping for sub 5 but I hear its not the fastest bike course in the world so will see on the day. Really looking forward to it now. Bikes going next week so need to sort stuff out :)

How are your preparations going? You are running well given your Kinvara result anyway.

Happy with running, have miles done on Bike but not sure if race ready. Improvements in swim which equates to not drowning!

Advertisement