Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants on window sill have fluff

• 07-10-2013 8:44pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭

Sound strange but we have had a few potted plants on the sill in the kitchen get fluff or mould around the clay in the past few months. I had a little Venus fly trap thrown out by herself a month ago because of it. And the plant she replaced it with has suffered the same faith. What can we do to prevent his? Kitchen doesn't get any direct sunlight, so may be damp but I try to open the windows for an hour a day beside it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It usually isn't fatal. If you rub/disturb it with your finger before the plant gets affected it should be Fine. Is there any way you can get them to a lighted situation? Too little light and perhaps over watering can cause it. Try watering from the bottom in a dish if you have been watering the surface. Just let the pot take up what it needs then tip out the rest of the water. You could also cover the surface with something like grit, sharp sand or vermiculite to protect the damp compost and stop the mould developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I had the exact same problem and only realised when I bought a moisture tester that i was watering them far to much.
    I now only water when the meter says the soil is dry. No more mould problems and my plants are thriving.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No chance of moving them into the light, sills are not ideal with a 2 year old grabbing everything. Will get a moisture thing and see if it changes things.

Advertisement