Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra 50c added to phone credit

Options
  • 07-10-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Went into a store in Letterkenny, County Donegal recently and asked for €10 phone credit, was running low at the time and had to make some calls. Gave the assistant €10 and she told that it was now €10.50, I asked about this and she said all the stores were bringing it in. I was in a rush so I paid it and never thought anything of it until I went into another store a few days ago, to get buy more credit and they weren't charging this extra 50c. Why are some stores able to do that?

Sorry, newbie mistake, doh. Could a moderator please move this into the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It's a common commission charge some smaller shops do with Phone credit. I stick to getting mine in Tesco or other supermarkets where you'll not be charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Thanks elfy4eva, I will remember that next time. But the fact that she said all the stores were now bringing this extra charge in, stuck in my mind this past few weeks. This obviously wasn't the case so she either heard that incorrectly or was telling a wee porkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Thanks elfy4eva, I will remember that next time. But the fact that she said all the stores were now bringing this extra charge in, stuck in my mind this past few weeks. This obviously wasn't the case so she either heard that incorrectly or was telling a wee porkie.

There's a thread on it in the rip off forum I think.
    As far as I know, shop keepers now make a loss on phone credit so that's why the charge is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Sounds like a bit of a spoof on her part to keep you a cool customer. She could have potentially been talking about all stores (of that franchise) assuming you were in a franchise store. However my money was that she was feeding you a line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

She lied to you and you've been thinking about 50c for the past few weeks, it's a travesty of justice, to the high court!!

Ha just kidding, yeah its common enough for small shops to charge a bit on top. But yeah it's the small stuff that counts, I still think about a pack of wine gums I took out of a hotel room mini bar and never got charged for years ago, the thought warms my heart on a cold night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

The mobile phone companies changed their pricing structure so if a shop sold you a 10er call credit they'd lose money, some stores are willing to take the hit to get your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

The bigger stores will take the hit and the smaller stores won't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What a random forum to find this in!

I was in Garvey's supervalue in dingle over the weekend and saw a sign saying that due to changes in pricing structure, a surcharge would apply. Seems crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

They wouldn't make a loss, but they don't make as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

They wouldn't make a loss, but they don't make as much as they used to.

• Advertisement

No it's true as far as I know, the pricing structure was recently changed by the phone companies for amounts of 5 and 10 euro (but not on credit above €10). So those amounts will have a fifty cent charge, rolled out at various stages but eventually everywhere.

My local Centra has already begun it, whereas my local Post Office is bringing it in soon. But I've been assured it will be a blanket charge everywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Do people really still walk into shops and buy credit? Do you not just do this via internet banking.

That said the amount of people without bank accounts astounds me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bepolite wrote: »
    Do people really still walk into shops and buy credit? Do you not just do this via internet banking.

That said the amount of people without bank accounts astounds me.

Yep. You do that. And, unless you have completely free banking, you will pay a bank charge. They get you every way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Do you not just do this via internet banking. ...
    Do it via the phone companies' own websites and cut out all the middlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Yep. You do that. And, unless you have completely free banking, you will pay a bank charge. They get you every way.

I do, didn't realise they charged tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have never had a bank charge for going through the phone company website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stick to the original topic.

OP - the shop is entitled to add a "service fee" and you are entitled to choose to buy it or not. I don't think that the shop assistant deliberately told you a falsehood, but instead they shared what they thought was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I've noticed that a few shops in my local area have letters up about the charge in the last few weeks. I am not sure who the letter is actually from. If I remember rightly there is no a 50c charge on €5 and €10 top ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its not a service fee or a surcharge.

the cost price of the product commonly known as a "10 euro top up" has gone up and the retailers have passed that price increase on to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I went to buy a 20 euro top up in Bus Stop in Nutgrove shopping centre and was told there would be a charge of 50c so perhaps it is not limited to 5 or 10 euro only.

I chose not to buy it there and instead went into the Three shop and got the top up for 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seen that sign up in a couple of local supermarkets recently.

It only mentions top-ups of 10.00, so assume if you top more more its free?

Probably a bit like the "you can't use your Laser Card for less than €5 transactions" signs you also see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Tippex

I may be wrong but afaik this is due also to the fee that is charged by payzone who handle the topups for the operators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I do, didn't realise they charged tbh.
    Most Don't charge for debit card transactions online or in shops.

Remember OP for every shop charging this extra fee there are plenty more who do not charge it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I went to buy a 20 euro top up in Bus Stop in Nutgrove shopping centre and was told there would be a charge of 50c so perhaps it is not limited to 5 or 10 euro only.

I chose not to buy it there and instead went into the Three shop and got the top up for 20.

Many small shops already charged up to €2 for a €20 top up so they will not be overly worried about this rise in the cost of the wholesale product.

There are always going to be shops that do not add the cost of doing business on to the customer!

SHOP AROUND

Advertisement