Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to boating in Dublin

• 07-10-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am seriously considering buying a boat in the next couple of weeks, for next season really. I like to look of a bow rider and the space available etc. how practical are they for use around Dublin bay, am I better with a closed hull boat?

Darren

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Darren and welcome, the bowrider's are very popular around the coast line for water sports and it's a buyers market for them at the moment. Depending on what you want use it for will decide if it's the right boat for you, if you plan on brining kids out I would look more towards the cuddy cabin as they like to get warm if the weather turns or if they feel a bit sea sick.
    Also think about what car you have to tow it with and where you can store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 powermyster

Thanks for the response fergal.

I figured now would probably be a good time to buy. I was planning on bringing the kids on the boat and take your point about the cuddy. I have never owned a boat before and my knowledge is limited. In fact apart from renting the odd boat for fishing at bullock. I'm a total newbie.

I was hoping to use the boat for watersports and sometimes fishing. Kids will be 12, 9 and 3 at start of next year.

I plan on keeping the boat at home and towing it to the water. I confess I haven't really looked into the weights yet to see if my Honda Accord could handle it.

Do you think a boat like that is suitable for kids of this age, and are they too young for watersports?

Darren

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Never too young for water sports :D A 2.0 Handa Accord can tow about 1500 kg and may not be the best for the heavier inboard engines. Best advice I can give is to start off by doing a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ these will be able to point you in the right direction and answer most of your questions it will also save you a few quid when you go to insure the boat and you will get to learn all the basic skills of handling a boat for the first time.

Its a 2.2 diesel, not sure if it will draw anything better though. I did see the courses available on powerboatschool.ie, I will look further into this as I would be more comfortable with kids on the boat if I done some training.

Any ideas on the best place to buy, I have seen some for sale privately. Is there any dealers around Dublin, that I would go and look at some boats.

You could try these,

http://bjmarine.net/contact.php

http://www.mgmboats.com/

http://sportboats.apolloduck.ie/

If you are buying from free adds bring someone with you that knows boats and engines to look them over for you or you could be left with a big hole in our pocket. You will also have to take into account getting the boat serviced before you head out on the water even if they tell you "it's just been serviced":) so put a few quid by for that and getting proper fitting lifejackets for the kids and what ever else the boat may need.

• Advertisement

Duly noted regarding the life jackets, I will have a look at the links later today.

I am a motor engineer, so I happy to carry out some of the servicing if I'm comfortable with it. I presuming mechanically they aren't that complicated. I have a friend in Fermanagh whole has had several boats over the years, so I was planning to ask him to check over boats with me if they are private sales.

I would prefer to buy from a dealer though as I would have some recourse if there were any issues down the line.

Should be no problem to you they are more or less the same engines, on boats the most important thing to check/change is the impeller "water pump" and on inboards once the engine is good check the bellows on the outdrive as well.
    You could also give Mick Clinton a call http://www.clintonmarine.ie/ He is a good guy and will look after you if he can. Tell him I sent you and he might charge you double :D

Thanks again for the info Fergal, I see Mick isn't too far from me either. I will look at the site properly later this evening.

Advertisement