Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Mens Rea, a good podcast of true crime, mostly in Ireland. Good narrator.

This would be my favourite at the moment. Along with, Let's Not Meet - a horror type of podcast where people write in with creepy things that have happened them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    This would be my favourite at the moment. Along with, Let's Not Meet - a horror type of podcast where people write in with creepy things that have happened them

I like the stories in Let's Not Meet but the guy narrating is pretty poor- his phrasing is jarring to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

David McWilliams new podcast on the economy is very good- 'The David McWilliams Podcast. Covers the Irish property crisis, US China trade deal, Brexit etc., in a clear and understandable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Feel could be a less laymen in terms of delivery, he ha sheen pushing this simplicity angle for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Started listening to the Canadian True Crime podcast lately. Not a bad listen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

True Crime Bullsh*t. Yes, that it's title(if you listen to the podcast, you'll understand why). It's a series all about the serial killer, Israel Keyes. It gives an indepth account of his life, his crimes and his victims. I've been listening to it for the past few days and I've found it very engrossing. If you like serial killers and true crime, you'll love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

True Crime Bullsh*t. Yes, that it's title(if you listen to the podcast, you'll understand why). It's a series all about the serial killer, Israel Keyes. It gives an indepth account of his life, his crimes and his victims. I've been listening to it for the past few days and I've found it very engrossing. If you like serial killers and true crime, you'll love this.

I can’t find that on Apple podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

There’s a three minute promo for it and I got FOUR ads for Virgin Media WiFi in that time. The promo clip is only a minute long. Is the whole podcast riddled with ads?

I’m two minutes into the first episode and there’s three ads.

I’m out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Thanks for the "Lets not meet" podcast recommendation. I like it, but the guys voice is boring me to death now after season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Only discovered the Adam Buxton podcast recently, and have listened to nearly every single one. He just has a rambly interview with comedians \ musicians \ film-makers with no set agenda and his relaxed style is really good. Highly recommend, I usually skip jingles or interludes in podcasts but his are very entertaining, as are his intro's and outro's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

allybhoy wrote: »
    Only discovered the Adam Buxton podcast recently, and have listened to nearly every single one. He just has a rambly interview with comedians \ musicians \ film-makers with no set agenda and his relaxed style is really good. Highly recommend, I usually skip jingles or interludes in podcasts but his are very entertaining, as are his intro's and outro's

my favourite podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ramble chat let's have a ramble chat.

I love the podcast, I miss the Adam and Joe podcast though.
    There was a recent episode with Joe Cornish and Louis Theroux which was brilliant fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You should download his app. It has extra content. I listened to the extra Johnny Marr one the other day, and it was 40min long. pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

I'm finding the tiso i5's can be a bit flaky when re/connecting to my android 7 . Sometimes I have to restart my phone as turning on and off Bluetooth hasn't helped. my taotronic bh-060's always connect and work flawlessly.

I'm finding the tiso i5's can be a bit flaky when re/connecting to my android 7 . Sometimes I have to restart my phone as turning on and off Bluetooth hasn't helped. my taotronic bh-060's always connect and work flawlessly.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

glasso wrote: »
    :confused:

oops, sorry wrong tab

Two new podcasts I want to try are -

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

They both have a huge amount of podcasts so the question is - is there a period to miss ?

I like to listen, or watch, things from start to finish but it’s a huge amount of audio.

Did either of those start poor and get good ? Or are they good from the start ?

The Joe Rogan experience

Try the Dorian Yates (#989) one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

They both have a huge amount of podcasts so the question is - is there a period to miss ?

I like to listen, or watch, things from start to finish but it’s a huge amount of audio.

Joe Rogan- i go on a guest by guest basis , sometimes Joe is so far up he's own rectum but other times he's an excellent interviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

peteeeed wrote: »
    Joe Rogan- i go on a guest by guest basis , sometimes Joe is so far up he's own rectum but other times he's an excellent interviewer

I agree. I find Joe himself to be totally hit or miss. It all depends on the quality of the guest.

His recent episode with Bernie Sanders was excellent and Joe was a big part of what made it so good - he asked intelligent questions and didn't get too sidetracked into his usual nonsense, apart from spending a few minutes talking about legalising weed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bellingcat podcast.

great investigative journalism about the malaysian airlines flight that was shot down over Ukraine by the Russians.
    the Russians are trying to discredit the main story teller on twitter lately too.

Arghus wrote: »
    I agree. I find Joe himself to be totally hit or miss. It all depends on the quality of the guest.

His recent episode with Bernie Sanders was excellent and Joe was a big part of what made it so good - he asked intelligent questions and didn't get too sidetracked into his usual nonsense, apart from spending a few minutes talking about legalising weed

Don't forget the aliens question at the end

Don't forget the aliens question at the end

Ah, yeah, but that was just having a laugh when the conversation was over.

I’ll give it a go when I get some time but seems like Rogan may love the sound of his own voice.

If he’s even half as bad as Marc Maron he’ll be intolerable.

I’ll give it a go when I get some time but seems like Rogan may love the sound of his own voice.

I'd try search for a guest you know and like. Start from there.

peteeeed wrote: »

Yep same as that. I prob listen to one out of every 10 guests he has on but they’re always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

As others have said, it depends on the guest with Rogan's podcast. I remember the first 2 or so Shane Smith (Vice founder) episodes being great. He talks about some of the crazy journeys he's been on, including North Korea.

The thing that set Rogan's podcast apart was the long-form, casual nature of it. People can go way deeper into stories and take interesting tangents like a proper conversation.

• Advertisement

Used to listen to Maron all the time, but I got tired of him. He's so needy. The way he sucks up to comedians or musicans who've "made it" is embarrassing. His opening monologues are always so boring and self indulgent too.

I find it ironic that the two comedians with the biggest podcasts in the world - Rogan and Maron - are really not that funny. I don't think either of them are particularly funny or witty dudes. In comparison, Bill Burr's podcast is hilarious.

It can be obvious a lot that Joe is spoofing about subjects -"I was talking to a buddy of mine" - and, yep, he definitely loves the sound of his own voice, but he does get interesting folks on to talk to.

Advertisement