Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mark Meighen Sunday Roast. Quallers

Mark Meighen Sunday Roast. Quallers

Really surprised how much I enjoyed this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

He’s a really funny guy. I like that ranting type of comedy and it’s cool that’s it so irish focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Echo Chamber. Quite a good podcast on Irish politics and current affairs. Laid back and informal. Production could be better at times, however.

He’s a really funny guy. I like that ranting type of comedy and it’s cool that’s it so irish focused.

The audio quality is slightly off though. I'm no audiophile but I think he needs to put those sound dampener things on the walls of whatever studio/bedroom he records in to prevent that slight echo. The material is good, might as well go all out on the simple things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

"Lift the Sink" Short story and literary podcast. Really laid back and relaxing, I find it a great listen after work. Only a few episodes in but the short stories have been very good. Book reviews and general chat about reading fiction in the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Listened to the first episode of the new true crime podcast on RTE Doc on One called The Nobody Zone. Second episode of 6 out tomorrow. It's really excellent. Brilliant script and narration by Tim Hinman and a truly compelling story about a London based Irish serial killer who got away with it for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

^
    v good for a first episode, cant wait for the rest. good recommendation. thanks N I Kansas

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Nobody Zone
    RTE 1 Documentary on 1
    Episode 2:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just a minor plug guys if you're looking for a Pop culture podcast over the next few weeks.
    I put out my most recent episode in English and Irish for Paddy's Day at the same time.

English-
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5PIjWtMDL8Nd8ufBsBREOC
    Irish-
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4WEQoHWzy2Res4EYFh7fe2

People on here have always been very supportive and I'm sure with the lockdown people who have always thought of starting a podcast will be doing so, would be great if people did to hav a place to plug it and maybe get some feedback from the community :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Listened to the first episode of the new true crime podcast on RTE Doc on One called The Nobody Zone. Second episode of 6 out tomorrow. It's really excellent. Brilliant script and narration by Tim Hinman and a truly compelling story about a London based Irish serial killer who got away with it for a very long time.
    John Mason wrote: »
    The Nobody Zone
    RTE 1 Documentary on 1

Really enjoying this podcast - not enjoying having to wait a week between episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

David o Doherty has started an isolation podcast, very funny

https://www.secondcaptains.com/2020/03/18/isolating-with-david-odoherty-episode-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

John Mason wrote: »
    The Nobody Zone
    RTE 1 Documentary on 1

I'm listening to The Nobody Zone right now and it's some crazy stuff, right enough. The fake copper is a pure fantasist! Have RTE done a proper doc on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'The Dollop' is a very good podcast - kind of a comedy/infotainment podcast. Quite like 'Stuff You Should Know', only the two presenters are comedians, so they are kind of trying for laughs a bit more throughout. They're funny, though.

One thing that I like about it is that it's been on the go for 5 years, and the episodes usually aren't topical, so it's one you can listen to from the beginning. I've been looking for new content - obviously with the lockdown and everything, but also because any Irish news/current affairs podcast (Liveline, Today with S'OR) are now 100% corona virus every day. I know it's a serious issue (and there is genuinely no other news to talk about, now that everything, everywhere, is shut down), but I think I reached my limit on COVID content some weeks ago...

Another podcast that has been on the go ages (since 2007, so one of the really early ones) is 'StarShipSofa'. Each week, a science fiction story is narrated by an actor.

If you've never really got into sci-fi, here are two stories that aren't very typical SF, but are very good:

http://www.starshipsofa.com/blog/2007/12/20/aural-delights-no-1-michael-moorcock/

http://www.starshipsofa.com/blog/2008/04/08/aural-delights-no-20-joe-haldeman/

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

dunphy the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Banged Up is another great podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

reply all , rte documentary on one . two great podcasts. binging on reply all now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Dating Game Killer is pretty good. Whole thing is out, just six episodes, and unlike something like The Nobody Zone there's actually an interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Currently listening to

‘unexplained’ - spooky stuff. Excellent production and fairly intense .

‘The irrelevant information podcast’
    Episodes about literally anything.
    Bears in hibernation ?
    Coffee?
    Mount Rushmore?

Guy is a genius and always makes the subject matter entertaining and interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Arghus wrote: »
    The Dating Game Killer is pretty good. Whole thing is out, just six episodes, and unlike something like The Nobody Zone there's actually an interesting story.

I thought the nobody zone was great ,
    yes lots of lose ends but that kind of added to it seen as it was about forgotten people ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

Seventhirtyeight politics podcast has an excellent take on the covid situation in the US. Really informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

is that fivethirtyeight? you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

Yes sorry not good with numbers��

If anyone is into air-crash investigations - 'inside the black box', really, really excellent podcast. It really drills down into the accident sequence in a very technical, dispassionate way. Your man has this very laconic way of speaking that some may find off-putting, but the quality of the content is really impeccable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I’ll second that. He does a great job of explaining some very technical flight stuff in a way that can be easily understood. I also appreciate that he will quote from the cockpit voice recordings but won’t actually play them as that would be a bit macabre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks for that.

Very good recommendation. Though it can be a fairly anxiety inducing listen.

Big fan of that style of presentation - completely dry and just the facts - would love to know of similar out there.

Two of my favourites are The History of The Cold War and They Walk Amongst Us - just the dispassionate facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If you loved the U.S. tv sit com 'Scrubs' then you will find this absolutely joyful. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-fake-doctors-real-friends-60367049/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'The Happiness Lab' has been really interesting to listen to during this time it's presented by a Yale professor who conducted a successful module at Yale and wants to share it more widely. It's along the lines of behavioural psychology and evidence based advice.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-happiness-lab-with-dr-laurie-santos/id1474245040

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

peteeeed wrote: »
    David o Doherty has started an isolation podcast, very funny

https://www.secondcaptains.com/2020/03/18/isolating-with-david-odoherty-episode-1/

It is like an episode of 'Father Ted' if Ted went all D4. And was sitting out in his 'cor' stuck on a small remote island.
    He has plenty of opinions and has a funny way of looking at things. I can remember seeing him doing standup years and years ago. With his wlimsey/flimsley music on a keyboard

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement