Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

Arghus wrote: »
    The Age of Napoleon.

Really great and in-depth look at the life and times of Napoleon. Very thorough, gets into the wider societal picture across the world of that time as well. Great stuff. How I like my history podcasts: very dry and with a broad scope.

That sounds very interesting, will get on that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Desert Oracle - supernatural fun from the Mojave Desert

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Skinwalker

Scottish true crime.

Very gritty

You could cut granite with the hosts accent !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The Age of Napoleon.

Great shout, a couple of episodes in and really enjoying this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Blindspot: Road to 9/11 is good stuff. Really interesting to hear the history of it and bin ladin turning into what he became.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I really like the Lex Fridman podcast; he might be a bit earnest to some but he has a good heart and a good curiosity. He's like Joe Rogan but people who have moved beyond Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Totally compelling obsessive listening. I am still chilled to the bone by what I heard. And its all (allegedly) true.

Dr Death
    (podcasts - 8 or 10 in the series.
    On Apple. OMG YOU WILL NOT SLEEP OR EAT UNTIL YOU HAVE HEARD THEM ALL). Utterly compelling - the audio effect of watching a train come barreling down at you and being so horrified you cannot step off the track.

Dr Death podcast (wonderly)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

The Age of Napoleon.

Really great and in-depth look at the life and times of Napoleon. Very thorough, gets into the wider societal picture across the world of that time as well. Great stuff. How I like my history podcasts: very dry and with a broad scope.

Any other podcasts similar to The Age of Napoleon?
    I am flying through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

CiaranW wrote: »

Not many really. It was a lucky find, it's hard to find narrative history that's done exactly like that.

I'm a fan of The History of The Cold War. Similarish, in that it's just the facts without making it about the host's personality.

Revolutions is quite good, but it can become boring depending on what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am listening to a ten part podcast at the minute by a woman who grew up in witness protection because her father was a Hell's Angel turned informant. It's called Relative Unknown. It's really interesting.

• Advertisement

Totally compelling obsessive listening. I am still chilled to the bone by what I heard. And its all (allegedly) true.

Dr Death
    (podcasts - 8 or 10 in the series.
    On Apple. OMG YOU WILL NOT SLEEP OR EAT UNTIL YOU HAVE HEARD THEM ALL). Utterly compelling - the audio effect of watching a train come barreling down at you and being so horrified you cannot step off the track.

Dr Death podcast (wonderly)

thought that the first series started off well but then the structure got completely muddled after 4 or 5 episodes and went nowhere.

didn't finish it.

spuddy90 wrote: »
    Blindspot: Road to 9/11 is good stuff. Really interesting to hear the history of it and bin ladin turning into what he became.

yes came across this as an ad in some other podcast.

it's pretty good and doesn't get boring.

the Americans balls-ed up a number of times in stopping these guys and also totally mis-understood the whole situation really going all the way back to the Soviet-Afghan war and even sowing the seeds with the initial oil deal in the 1940's with the Saudis.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

The Bloodied Field is a great listen, recounting the events on Bloody Sunday

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Joan and Jericha back for Series 3.

Dealing with dog rape and retribution, best sex dolls for the cuckolded husband (buy one for sex and another for beating up), bingo! female ejaculate!- chocolatey brown and sweet to the taste.
    In other news- Frank's back in Joan's life.

Pop a rubber glove on and immerse yourself in some uncomfortable filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

The Fault line; Bush, Blair and Iraq

The story of the Iraq war and the WMD that might have existed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

AdamB wrote: »
    The Bloodied Field is a great listen, recounting the events on Bloody Sunday

Have to agree, excellent podcast, well delivered and really good depth to the whole event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

The Nobody Zone is fantastic. Originally released earlier this year but 2 new episodes just released after new information came to light. A fascinating story

Kingpins is quite good

Covers characters that you would know of like "El Chapo" to ones that you mightn't like Viktor Bout

https://www.stitcher.com/show/kingpins

CiaranW wrote: »

Try "the Layman's Historian"

On bbc sounds, started listening to "im not a monster" about American woman who left america and ended up in Syria under isis. Good so far with weekly episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Going to bump this thread to recommend "Amplify Archaeology". As its name suggests but focused on Ireland.

Would strongly recommend the recent series that focused on Newgrange and the winter solstice, thought it was excellent listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good Columbo podcast? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

'Grounded with Louis Theroux' - Louis interviewing people during the lockdown. The episode with Boy George was very good.

'Sh|te Talk' is an Irish history podcast presented by two comedians. They had a three-part episode recently on the downfall of the the John A. Costello government (Ireland being declared a republic, the Baltinglass post office controversy, and Noel Browne's Mother & Child scheme) that was really good, very funny and informative - I ordered Noel Browne's autobiography straight after listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

El Tarangu wrote: »
    'Grounded with Louis Theroux' - Louis interviewing people during the lockdown. The episode with Boy George was very good.

'Sh|te Talk' is an Irish history podcast presented by two comedians. They had a three-part episode recently on the downfall of the the John A. Costello government (Ireland being declared a republic, the Baltinglass post office controversy, and Noel Browne's Mother & Child scheme) that was really good, very funny and informative - I ordered Noel Browne's autobiography straight after listening to it.

Started on the Louis Theroux series today- good shout ET

The troubles podcast" is a very good listen. Getting nice snippets of the history of how these events unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have just finished listening to Unfinished: Short Creek which is a documentary series about the FLDS (Fundamentalist Mormon) cult in Utah. It is hosted by an ex- Mormon who lived in the community for a few months and really got to know them. It talks about the cult leader, polygamy, child sexual abuse and follows ex- members and people who still believe the convicted Warren Jeffs is their prophet.

Would love recommendations for anything Mafia related next.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Evil Genius with Russell Kane on BBC Sounds.

It’s good, bad, ugly - and very very funny. Changing the way we see heroes and villains in history.

Bite-sized episodes, easily digestible, in which our hero Russell and a revolving panel of guests dissect the legacy of a deceased famous person and decide on the balance of evidence presented if the person in question was more evil or genius.

Just the right amount of hard facts and irreverence, this is a very entertaining series of podcasts and seriously addictive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0605sx6/episodes/downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

The Dream - podcast about pyramid schemes & multi level marketing. Found it very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Has anyone listened to the Night Driver? Same team as did the Teachers Pet. Very interesting case, very well done too. Every episode had me changing my mind on who was responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Has anyone listened to the Night Driver? Same team as did the Teachers Pet. Very interesting case, very well done too. Every episode had me changing my mind on who was responsible.

Yeah - very interesting but far too drawn out!
    A bit repetitive also.

Advertisement