Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've just caught up with every episode of "The Constant - A history of getting things wrong"

It a historical podcast about how throughout history people, well got things wrong really, through lack of information, like how old the earth was, where birds went in the winter, where babies came from, how the longitude problem was solved.

It also has stories about con jobs and swindles thrown in, like the most recent one about the alleged petrified body of Thomas Francis Magher, founder of The Young Irelanders, Tasmania escapee, and governor of the territory of Montana.

It's been around for awhile, 4 years maybe, but I heard one episode and liked it so much I decided to binge the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

I wondered the same thing. You would have to wonder at the gullibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I've started listening to 'History of the Germans' ('History of the Germans Dirk Hoffmann-Becking' is the quickest way to find it). Tracing the history of Germany from the fall of the Roman empire through to today.

Best new podcast I have listened to in a long while - the middle ages is not a period of history I would have had any particular interest in, but really interesting content and a fairly droll delivery. If you enjoyed 'The History of Rome' or 'Age of Napoleon', I'd give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

[Short History Of...] Rosa Parks #shortHistoryOf 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/130302353 via @PodcastAddict

Started listening to Short History of.

As the name suggests it gives an hour long history of a topic. It uses a like of docu-drama style to give flavour and add in small details about how people lived in the time they're describing, like describing the meal the person has just bought as they plan the main event from the podcast.

The Rosa Parks one above was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oh cool, that sounds good,I think I'll give it a go. Check out Cautionary Tails by Tim Harford, sounds a bit similar and is very good too

• Advertisement

The Coming Storm podcast from BBC 4 has been getting a lot of attention in the last week. It's excellent. Really good background on the QAnon phenomenon, how it started (its roots probably go back further than you'd think).

It's not just a list of the mad things Qanon followers think, it's about how the movement started and built momentum and how its such a big part of the American Republican party.

Its short too. Brevity is a skill in short supply in the podcast world. 7 episodes of half an hour each. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Just listened to this today. Found it excellent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

"Stuff the British Stole" season 2 features an episode on the chalice tree in Cork. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Another vote here for "The Coming Storm" - I've listened to and watched a fair few shows now about QAnon and related stuff but this podcast is head and shoulders above the rest imho....just hits the sweet spot between enough detail and still remaining succinct.

Just started listening to what could be a decent companion piece called "The Assault of America" - an investigation into background of the January 6th riots...happy to recommend so far anyway.

Re: Sweet Bobby - listened to all of this last week and it left me unimpressed I have to say...started off interesting enough but fizzled into a shaggy dog story imho.

They never really explained the motivations of the scammer, or why the victim was so susceptible to it. I can understand someone getting duped for a few months, but nearly 10 years (!?!?). Maybe I missed something in one of the episodes but thought it was a waste of time if I'm being honest

Just to follow up on my recommendation of "The Assault on America" - listened to all the episodes over the course of 2 or 3 days and it was excellent.

I had a reasonable knowledge of US politics, QAnon etc but this podcast was still an eye opener for me.....the next presidential election cycle is going to be a very unstable and dangerous sh1tshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tried "The Assualt on America".

Good content, but so...many...ads... Possibly the most I've ever heard in a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I made the mistake of listening to the 1st episode of Escaping NXIVM at work. I should've went with something lighter, like Hardcore History. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

i have listened to it as well, i used pocket cast and did'nt get any ads at all ( very few) I've also noticed a difference when listening to podcasts when i'm connected to my home WiFi, as to when i'm listening in the car using mobile data. there doesn't seem to be as many ads when in the car on mobile data???

Need to research this or can someone offer a reason here @boards for this?

I started listening to this on your recommendation. It's really good. Good recommendation.

I agree with the poster who said there are a lot of ads. I tey not to let ads annoy me but there really are a lot. But. It doesn't ruin not for me and If you have your hands free you can just skip them, so it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Same here. Great show.

Yup, the ads are horrendous but I just smash the fast forward button.

Another couple of recommendations...

"Dark Wood" is a pretty decent fictional podcast if you're into that kinda thing....well written and acted and absolutely nothing to do with an apocalypse of some sort.

"Passenger List" is another fictional podcast.....a bit more schlocky but rattles along at a decent pace.

I'm also currently 3 episodes into "Wild Boys" and happy to give it a tentative recommendation so far (it does have a fair few ads.... possibly not as much as Assault on America though 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

I'm thoroughly enjoying this , well its a bit of escapism and some of its funny, 7/10

Recommended it before. But just listened to the most recent Critter Shed Podcast. It's a very simple but endearing podcast over all. Homegrown as it is Dublin based. And it is very endearing and wholesome just how excited the main guy gets over simple things like Tadpoles and Spider Webs. It's very infectious when someone clearly deeply loves what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Shite Talk : An Irish History Podcast is quite good, easy to listen to and the humour hits the right note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Going to give this a go, how could you not with a title that catching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A regular of mine. They can go a bit too far off-topic at times but it's usually entertaining and informative. Their episodes on Sean Quinn and John Delaney were real eye-openers since I lived through those, and I was amazed to learn all about Ireland invading Canada.

Good recommendation. Listened to the first 3 yesterday. Really interesting. Yer man is a bit too focused on making a joke about every second sentence though. I hope he cuts that out as it progresses.

I love podcasts and that's my biggest gripe. A podcaster who tries to crack a dry, sarcastic joke every second sentence. So the main podcaster says a line of the story and the joker says "oh yeah, that makes sense, shur (insert off the wall comment).

Comedy is a serious, and rare, skill. It's not something everyone can do. You can make your mates laugh but comedy is way more than that and I wish podcasters understood that and picked their moments to make jokes instead of peppering the show with mini jokes and interpreting the flow of the actual story that's being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I listening to one about the Northern Bank Robbery found it disappointing. Listened to a bit of another one to see was it a one off. One of the fellas is good on it. Has his research done. But the other fella, Jayus he is annoying. Sort of like the drunk friend on a night out who keeps interrupting the conversation - with comments that only he thinks are gas. Whatever the fellas name is, quick witted he is not! His lines normally start with 'they were like's' - insert joke here and 'were they like?' - insert joke here. And 'I bet they were like' - insert joke here.

The fella who thinks he is funny - is not funny at all. And basically tires to be funny (after nearly every fecking sentence) the other fella says.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

A few recommendations for anyone that likes sports interviews -

No passion No Point by Eddie Hearn;

Life Lessons: From Sport and Beyond with Simon Mundie

A weekend favorite is Fighting talk - " hilarious look at the volatile world of sport where guests compete for points with their sporting punditry. Informed comments are rewarded but witless outbursts are penalised."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I really enjoyed The Trojan Horse Affair. One of those ones that doesn't really promise much but delivers a lot. It's about an anonymous letter that lead to the GB government cracking down on supposed Islamic radicalisation in the school system. It's a surprisingly enjoyable romp.

Real Dictators is back now covering the 2nd part of Hitler's rise.

On WW2: the "We have ways of making you talk" pod has a particularly good episode where Al Murray and James Holland have the brilliant US Prof. Tami Davis Biddle on to discuss the Dresden bombings. Balanced, informed and illuminating. One of their best episodes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Things Fell Apart by Jon Ronson

Acclaimed writer and podcaster Jon Ronson sets off to track down those extraordinary and unexpected tales, discovering the real people at the heart of America's most vicious culture wars—from sex education and gay liberation to legal abortion and beyond.

Another BBC podcast called Fake Psychic. Really interesting about psychics in America and one in articular who wrote a book exposing his own psychic scam.

It's very interesting and well made with re-enactments to help the story along. The main guy sounds a bit like Napoleon Dynamite's brother. Good story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm enjoying this, as I am a fan of the show. Have to say, "facially" some of them folks have had work done. 15 years ago they probably would have laughed at Hollywood types doing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

following

• Advertisement

Currently listening to "The Secret History of Flight 149".

It's really well made and produced - covers the unusal case of a BA flight that was bizarrely allowed to stop and refuel in Kuwait on the day it was invaded by Iraq.

There's new episodes being released now so I'm curious to see what happened

Advertisement