Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I would imagine the book would be quite biased as it is written by the founder so everything will be portrayed in a favorable light. The podcast focuses on the stories of those on the ground - "The BBC has released a podcast series, The Good Ship BrewDog, which over the course of six episodes tackles everything from the bro culture at HQ to allegations of bullying and harassment."

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

The following 3 have me walking around like a gowl with a massive smile on my face all the time.

1. This Paranormal Life - 2 lads from NI. One lad researches and presents the "evidence" for some random paranormal / conspiracy BS and they vote at the end on whether or not they reckon it is "paranormal". The thing that gets me with this is the 2 lads are clearly very immature but real good friends so the chemistry is brilliant
    2. Mission to Zyxx - Sci-fi podcast where the general plot is agreed on but the dialogue is improvised. On it's own that would be OK but the post processing and sound design is fantastic and really makes for some hilarious moments. Lot's of them
    3. Hello From The Magic Tavern - Similar to mission to Zyxx but with a more fantasy world. The idea is some lad got stuck in this other world and interviews from that world. Improvised as well which is where the laughs come from. I found this when I finished Mission to Zyxx and it's definitely scratching the itch

I'm not into the subject matter of any of the above really but the reason I love and recommend them is because they are hilarious overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I've become a huge fan of anything spy/espionage related and recently finished The Agent. Really fascinating podcast.

"The Agent is the remarkable true story of Jack Barsky, the longest-surviving known member of the KGB illegals program operated during the height of the Cold War. Barsky hid in plain sight in America for years, all the while leading dual lives on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean."

The Witch Trials of JK Rowling seems promising. Only listened to the first episode so far. She's interviewed by one of the Phelps daughters, who left the West Borough Baptist church, who were famous for being the most hated family in the US. Interesting person to interview who would know a thing about being hated. So far it's just about Rowling's early life and rise to fame. Quite sympathetic towards her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

The Newsagents, prob originally recommended here but def worth a listen,

yer wan Emily Maitlis (formerly BBC) and 2 co hosts with a nightly news cast, lots of UK politics here but the other stories can be of interest too

good interviews too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I Am Not A Monster

BBC podcast about Shamima Begum who along with 2 friends ran off to join ISIS when she was 15.

She’s now stuck in a secure camp with her British citizenship revoked. It follows her time from leaving England through Turkey to Syria and her life living in the Caliphate. The reporter tracks down people who knew her when in Syria and has lots of time with her as she explains herself.

It’s really good and even details the mundane day to day bureaucracy of living under ISIS. It still has a couple of episodes to be released and it’s well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

^^^^^^ this is series 2 of I Am Not A Monster. BBC Sounds have rereleased the full series 1 which covered the story of Sam Sally, an American who went to Syria and ISIS with her husband. It’s even better than Series 2. I guarantee you’ll binge listen.

Josh Baker made both series and his journalism in this first series is unreal. He puts himself in series danger to find Sam, he visits an abandoned ISIS prison in Syria in a spine chilling episode and he tracks down witnesses to her story all over the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

I would highly recommend "Letters from Sing Sing" but wait until the final episode drops on March 27th. I binged listened to 5/7, not realising that it's not yet complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Can you recommend a good podcast app for android? I was using Overcast on iPhone but they don't have an android app.

The main feature I'm looking for is queued playlist. Overcast had a feature where you could scroll through the podcasts and when you spotted an episode you were really interested in listening to, you could add it to the playlist. So you could just play your queued playlist and add to it whenever you saw an episode you wanted to listen to.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i use podbean, been using it for a few years now and like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Narcissist apocalypse , long podcast series about people in toxic relationships. often sad but always interesting/enlightening/entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

I use Spotify. It fulfills all the above criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sound. I looked at the description and it seems to have the playlist feature I'm looking for. I'll download ot and give it a go later.

I really miss the playlist feature on Overcast. I could have multiple playlists. One for sport, one for news, one for history and one for everyththat has been dowoaded in order and one for queued podcasts to play next.

So the same episodes were in a couppe of playlists but when you listened to it it was deleted from all playlists so it was really organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

I use Pocketcasts on ios, seems to be on android as well. Has everything I need really. I also use Spotify but queuing up items on that can be messy sometimes and it auto plays into other shows at times which is a bit annoyingly

on a similar topic, I presume there’s still no way of accessing the ad free premium athletic podcasts outside of their app? I looked into it recently and it wasn’t possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am really mixed on this to be honest, the fella from OTB (Hannon - that looks like Charles Stuart Parnell reincarnated) comes across like a bit of plank at the best of times. He did not acquit himself well here - his approach came across as nasty and sensationalist.

As for Harrington she did not come across well either, as she desperately tried to cover herself as best she could, by avoiding an answer. Which gave the impression that she had something to hide.

There is a pair of them in it is my final verdict. Spilt decision.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You could have a setup very similar to that using PocketCasts, their Filters functionality along with their Up Next Playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I get the sense that there is no current or planned functionality to consume ad free podcasts outside of the app. It's a bit of a pain. I subscribe to the public feed in PocketCasts to keep track of episodes I want to listen to but then go to the app itself to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

If anybody has listened to Iain Dale's podcast series on Presidents and Prime Ministers, he's followed on with a set on the Irish Taoisigh which are being released. Top notch contributors so far including David McCullagh doing Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ChrisHAM48

I really don't understand how more Irish people aren't talking about The Michael Anthony Show. They don't seem to have done much promotion but it has without question the best guest line up in Irish podcasting and the conversations go incredibly deep.

Pete Doherty has recently been on, as have Hollywood stars such as John C. McGinley, Chazz Palminteri, Stevie Van Zandt, Rupert Everett and more. Football figures such as John Barnes, Jaap Stam too, with the Jake Bugg, Irvine Welsh, Alan McGee, Michael Shuman episodes being just breathe taking. Seriously this podcast is unreal. Check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

It's a star trek based podcast and if it has already been mentioned I apologize, 'Shuttlepod' Dominic Keating and Connor trinnear from Star Trek Enterprise. In depth interviews brutal up front honesty and if Data's 2024 Irish unification quote was too sensitive for the BBC well the pod I watched last night with Jeferry Coombs (weyoun and another 8 or so ST characters) his characterisation of Shran the Andorian on STE the BBC would have had a fit if they knew what he based it on and why he hated the vulkans and the federation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Jeffery coombs said he based his character Shran on an Irish nationalist and the Andorians viewed the Vulkans as the British

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

I think he wrote that recommendation...

Like most (probably) I find interesting pods from links of a link. Another good one I found recently Michael Rosenbuam 'inside of me' He played lex Luther in 'smallville' he's a big sci-fi and trekkie fan and has the top guests on his show from other shows including the treks. In depth interviews including Jonathon Frakes who swore like a navvy during their chat. The current pods you learn more from the actors rather than on a comi-con or a TV interview, they're more relaxed which is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Checked him out. Many v interesting guests bit God, is it impossible for him to ask a simple question? He asked, then rambles on with another question or two....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm currently binging The Backpacker's Guide to Prehistory. Each episode is about a specific period in prehistory (e.g. the Jurassic, the Permian, the Cretacious) where the host asks 2 palaeontologists about the wildlife and the environment of these periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The Price of Football is an excellent podcast.

It's not a podcast about football. They don't get into results or performances but they get into the financial stories around football.

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Up Front with Simon Jordon. It's a good new podcast with some good guests so far. Barry Mcguigan episode was good and his latest one with Victoria Azerenka also very good. Simon Jordon isn't for everyone but he does ask some good questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I'm enjoying a podcast called "The Set"

It covers the investigations (or lack thereof) of corrupt New York City cops in the early 90s.

Advertisement